• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Relegation beckons….

Phil1965

1 hour ago, Phil1965 said:

We have lost the core players from our promotion season in 2019-20, so we will start again in League 2 next season.

2 seasons later you'd only expect to maybe have 4 of that starting X1 left anyway 

Always a big turnover in football. 

• Like 1

Advert:

3 hours ago, Phil1965 said:

We have lost the core players from our promotion season in 2019-20, so we will start again in League 2 next season.

Do you think you have the players on the treadmill ready to come through ? Those who have left have hardly pulled up any trees, so will the latest crop be any better ? and will they be ready for Div 2 ?

Advert:

It's an interesting model and you wonder how long it can last.

Golden Generation -> Promotion -> Perform well -> Sell all good players -> Re-invest in academy/Dario's retirement fund-> Relegation -> Slump -> Bed in New Golden Generation -> Repeat

It's happened twice in the last decade (the Powell, Murphy, Westwood team) and now again (NG, Kirk, Wintle team). 

Their current team is really poor and wouldn't do much in League 2. They effectively put a lot of faith, probably correctly, on the academy to churn out another 5-6 excellent players in about 2-3 years time, by which point they'll be in the lower-half of League 2 and can bed them in against poor opposition.

I think it's a risk to expect a) the players will come through (although they probably know already) and b) they won't fall through the trap-door before they're ready (we've seen how close it can be).

From a Crewe fan perspective you have to question the futility of it all. Can the club not forego a firesale for 5 years to make a real attempt to get into the Championship? If they'd held onto Kirk, NG, Pickering, and Wintle, they'd have a real chance of promotion in the next 1-2 years and the financial boost that comes with it. Instead, it was sell them all off, sign a load of rubbish on a free, and seemingly accept relegation in order to reboot and do it again in 5 years.

What's the point? I get that it's all lovely and sustainable and 'respect to Crewe clap clap' from the bigger clubs, but if Vale worked like that, and I knew that every success was merely the prelude to a big sale and then a few years of rubbish, I'd get a bit weary.

It would seem the entire club is indoctrinated in 'The Crewe Way' of a certain style of football and a certain business model, even at the expense of tangible success/aspiration. Weird. It's great to be sustainable and have a philosophy but we support teams to see wins and promotions and success, not to have some smug satisfaction of doing things 'The Right Way' as the cycle reboots once more.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fair points. As Darren said, all teams have a turnover of players to some extent or other and it’s up to the club to manage / mitigate for that. Crewe maybe had too many players with a similar length of time remaining on their contracts that they needed to sell at the same time.

On the positive side at least nobody else  has decided to pack it all in and become a beekeeper or whatever it was that they’d rather do than play for Crewe. 

35 minutes ago, Joe B said:

From a Crewe fan perspective you have to question the futility of it all. Can the club not forego a firesale for 5 years to make a real attempt to get into the Championship? If they'd held onto Kirk, NG, Pickering, and Wintle, they'd have a real chance of promotion in the next 1-2 years and the financial boost that comes with it. Instead, it was sell them all off, sign a load of rubbish on a free, and seemingly accept relegation in order to reboot and do it again in 5 years.

I think the missing piece here is that they'd have to pay those players League 1 wages in order to keep them happy enough to forego a move to a 'bigger' club. Unfortunately for Crewe, they pile so much money into their academy to produce these players that there's not much left in the pot to play proper wages. So, when a Championship club comes and offers these lads 5k/week (or more), Crewe simply aren't inclined to compete on that front, even if doing so would long-term increase the value of their assets and give the club a better chance to reach the Championship. 

I wonder what Artell thinks of it all. I know we give him lots of stick, but on paper he's done a decent job at Crewe and it must be demoralising having the rug pulled from under you after so much hard work. On one hand, he's never going to get sacked but if he has ambitions to manage higher up the pyramid surely he has to move on at some point?

4 minutes ago, jjvale_03 said:

I think the missing piece here is that they'd have to pay those players League 1 wages in order to keep them happy enough to forego a move to a 'bigger' club. Unfortunately for Crewe, they pile so much money into their academy to produce these players that there's not much left in the pot to play proper wages. So, when a Championship club comes and offers these lads 5k/week (or more), Crewe simply aren't inclined to compete on that front, even if doing so would long-term increase the value of their assets and give the club a better chance to reach the Championship. 

I wonder what Artell thinks of it all. I know we give him lots of stick, but on paper he's done a decent job at Crewe and it must be demoralising having the rug pulled from under you after so much hard work. On one hand, he's never going to get sacked but if he has ambitions to manage higher up the pyramid surely he has to move on at some point?

In fairness, without knowing the infrastructure down there, the hard work may well already have been done for Artell by those involved in the scouting, youth recruitment, and coaching set up, prior to any prospect being selected for the first team squad.

Artell may not be hands on with the academy.  No pun intended.

• Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...
Advert:

We are making an unfortunate habit of splendid own goals.. Garrity socred a cracker in the top corner earlier this season too... To be fair Martin was only doing what a decent defender should do in injury time, just get in the way of it. Unfortunately his positioning meant he could only rifle it into the back of the net!

As for you, it looks like a classic 6 pointer against another relegation threatened team. You have another one coming up next. Who knows perhaps there is life in the old dog yet!

Still think you will miss out on a ground filling derby next season even though we had a blip at the weekend.

• 2 weeks later...
Advert:

Just had a lovely Christmas present from my boss, a mug from the Moorland Pottery on Moorland Road, Burslem, with the inscription ‘Cheshire Boy’ on it! It’s a lovely item, I’m delighted!

Picking up my son tomorrow from Newcastle under Lyme, then visiting my sister for lunch in Congleton, then home to Bedford, for a family night out to celebrate his 20th birthday!

Hope you all have a lovely Christmas!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Phil1965 said:

Just had a lovely Christmas present from my boss, a mug from the Moorland Pottery on Moorland Road, Burslem, with the inscription ‘Cheshire Boy’ on it! It’s a lovely item, I’m delighted!

Picking up my son tomorrow from Newcastle under Lyme, then visiting my sister for lunch in Congleton, then home to Bedford, for a family night out to celebrate his 20th birthday!

Happy Christmas to you too... Hope for better next year, although I think there is more chance of raising the Titanic than riasing Crewe out of the relegstion zone.

15 hours ago, Phil1965 said:

If you’re this happy when they’re going down you must have been ecstatic when they last went up.