• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Relegation beckons….

Phil1965

3 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Genuinely happy to be corrected by Phil, but I remember Gary Roberts saying Crewe wouldn't sell him (I believe to Cardiff) as the fee wasn't high enough to ensure Dario got a good piece of the pie.

It may be absolutely rubbish, but eventually the business model of 'invest heavy in academy, produce great players, sell them to invest heavy in academy, repeat' has to get a bit tedious? I understand the sustainability and the 'morally good' side of doing it, but as a Crewe fan I'd get worn down by the futility of it all. 

And it doesn't come cheap to do it this way.

I'm sure I read somewhere it costs around £500k a year to run the academy? (correct me if I'm wrong).

Surely as a fan that wants a competitive side, you'd prefer that to go into the playing budget?

Advert:

4 hours ago, Phil1965 said:

I went to Wycombe on Saturday, as it’s a local game for me. We played really well, but Wycombe are a very physical side, who were just launching the ball into our box for the last ten minutes. The referee was awful, probably the worst I have seen for a number of years.

Was that Steve Martin?  I saw him do a game at Forest a few years ago.  He sent off two away players, both red cards were rescinded.  He's mad!

I love Crewe’s model with the academy, however they either need to have a spell where the attempt to keep some of these players or actually re invest it into the squad. No use bringing through great young players to then sell them and then put the money back into the academy. Some should obviously but some has to go on improving that 11. Otherwise like this season they’ll struggle. 

Edited by valiant_593

Advert:

10 hours ago, valeparklife said:

And it doesn't come cheap to do it this way.

I'm sure I read somewhere it costs around £500k a year to run the academy? (correct me if I'm wrong).

Surely as a fan that wants a competitive side, you'd prefer that to go into the playing budget?

I've been told on pretty good authority it costs £1m plus per annum to run Crewe's academy, they are not recouping that amount or anywhere near it now, I often wonder what we would think of the business model that gave you short term success followed by relegation as will surely happen as the production line fails, their supporters seem to accept the inevitable.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, blackdog said:

I've been told on pretty good authority it costs £1m plus per annum to run Crewe's academy, they are not recouping that amount or anywhere near it now, I often wonder what we would think of the business model that gave you short term success followed by relegation as will surely happen as the production line fails, their supporters seem to accept the inevitable.

Small club small ambitions 

Having spent most of my childhood living through the dismal 70s and endless re-election years (with the occasional pleasure, beating Birmingham 2-1 in the League Cup in 1974/75 was a highlight as they were Division 1 team, then losing to eventual winners Aston Villa after a replay, in front of a 12,000 crowd), I accept that Crewe must be one of the smallest towns to have a league club, but then this is why we support our home town team. Does  Vale’s support come mainly from Burslem and Tunstall?

24th, 7 points adrift and 14 goals behind on GD behind 20th. If they continue as they have for the first 15 games they're on to finish on about 25 points. 

I know it's not quite November but I'd be surprised if they turned that round now. 

Advert:

56 minutes ago, Doha said:

24th, 7 points adrift and 14 goals behind on GD behind 20th. If they continue as they have for the first 15 games they're on to finish on about 25 points. 

I know it's not quite November but I'd be surprised if they turned that round now. 

who cares!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Doha said:

Not according to Pete Morse he reckons they have a better squad than last season !

On 25/10/2021 at 12:02, Phil1965 said:

I’m not sure what is happening with Lowery but he made a big difference when he came on, hopefully he can go to starting matches as he is a great talent. If we go down then that’s fine, we are a League 1/League 2 club!

Your'e league two and your'e down,didn't earn or deserve promotion and you will be back where you belong

Advert:

I was looking at having MK Dons on an accumulator yesterday and I backed off because this would have been the sort of game that Crewe of old would have relished and pulled out a shock result from nowhere.

I don't really see Crewe going mad in January, maybe one or two would come in to help the group and stop confidence from really hitting the floor; maybe the Crewe way is to accept this as part of the cycle and the next generation of young players file this under experience.