Ernie Moss RIP

Advert:

Remember him fondly with big bad Bobby Newton. 

Rest in peace Ernie lad, very sad indeed . 

Was emotional when he came on the pitch a few years back at Chesterfield away. 

Another 82 hero gone along with Stevie Fox.

RIP 

• Like 2

Advert:

Ernie Moss was a good footballer, who did not quite have the natural ability to get right to the very top of his profession.  His physical and moral courage on the pitch were at the highest possible level.  His commitment to his team was total.  His reliability was beyond question.

I first saw him in 1969 playing for Chesterfield. He stood out then as a strong leader of the line. A man of great tenacity, a wonderful header of a ball.  A man who was unflustered in front of goal, who knew how to score.

When he signed for us in 1981 I could hardly believe that we had managed to get him.  On the field his legs were not particularly fast, his brain was superfast and got him in the right place at the right time. 

He was with us for only just over 18 months.  The fact that he is remembered with such fondness, and held in so high a regard underlines his qualities.

Port Vale have been blessed over the years to have players with the heart of a lion, and the honesty of a saint.  No one epitomised these qualities more than Ernie Moss.

• Like 9

I spent a cople of  hours with him a few years ago for an interview. He really was a nice guy with fond memories of the Vale - he wasn't so fond of Big John McGrath though.

Another sad loss. Thanks for the memories Ernie, RIP.

• Like 3

Advert:

A lovely guy, and I send my condolences to his family. Wonderful target man, and I have some very happy memories of that promotion season involving Ernie sticking them in to the onion bag. Rest in glory Ernie, and thank you for everything you did for the Vale.

• Like 3

RIP Ernie......I follow his daughter on Twitter and he has been struggling a while with dementia.

I loved him and Newt up front....it was that period when you really felt the opposition defence was frightened to death of our forwards.

Another sad loss of an ex Valiant.

• Like 3

Advert:

The best header of a ball I have ever seen, sorry Popey. Sad to see that may have contributed to his health later on. 

My favourite player from a team full of character and no little ability, RIP big Ern.

• Like 1