onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

Fwiw, if you do a crumb of research, you'll see that in Season 1 at Shrewsbury he'd just climbed two divisions and wasn't quite fit/sharp enough (he was also only 23). He'd played 150 professional games at that point. 

After that season was curtailed by COVID, he got himself fit (https://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/football/shrewsbury-town-fc/2020/09/15/shrewsbury-town-midfielder-brad-walker-a-different-man/) and was a regular player before picking up ONE bad ankle injury in December. Wikipedia is outdated too; it has him down for 17 games last season when he in fact played 27.

He played in 14 of the first 15 games last season (starting eight) in a team in the division above, before one bad injury ruled him out for 3 months. He finished the season starting 3 of the last 4.

Yes, it's not ideal he picked up an ankle ligament injury, but he came back to feature and doesn't have a history of loads of injuries, as some suggest.

Advert

14 minutes ago, JRC said:

He was one of my favourite players when he first signed. Did his form drop after that howler? At his best he seemed way better initially (I was 6) than during the latter period when he and Trevor Dance were about on a par? First season at the club he was my favourite player.

My main memory of JC is that he didn't waste a dive on a lost cause. If he didn't think he could save a shot he didn't move. 

From what I have seen the injuries he has had have been nasty on field ones that would have felled a donkey (nothing against donkeys, they’ve served Vale well in the past) as opposed to the “resting with a niggle or came off because he felt his hamstring” type of injury.

Big lad some years younger than Joyce but with plenty of experience who obviously knows where the net is and can be used as a CB in an emergency, what’s not to like.

Christ, I can feel the 'injury prone' cliche and narrative taking hold now. 

Wikipedia has been a disaster for football. Fans should either admit they know nothing about a player or do some proper research.

Those little list of numbers on the right has every fan thinking they can accurately surmise a player's history. 

Walker has had one bad injury. Stop doing mental maths and getting the wrong answer. FFS. 

4 hours ago, werstayinup said:

People moaning at a first signing amazes me but doesn't surprise me,we have signed a player who was at a League One team,a player who has played plenty of games at League 2 level........ maybe we should just go back to signing ex Macc Town players

Well funny you should say that Theo Vassell another freed by Wrexham. 

On a serious note he had a belting game at Bury away in his last ever appearance for us. 

Sadly on here as expected Walker written off before a ball kicked in anger. 

After all the anger and bemusement by Clarke about our injuries when he came in February do people think he'd damage his own reputation by signing Manny and Forrester rolled into one . 

This was a touch concerning though when I saw him on the Lorne street car park 

istockphoto-158464430-1024x1024.jpg

I had a look at the shrews forums, and while no one was particularly devastated that he left, pre announcement there was a decent number of there fans wanting him resigned.

We've replaced a 33 year old who didn't have his best season last year, with a 25 year old who fans of a team in the league above were hoping to keep hold of. Mind boggling the mentality of some vale fans to moan about a signing like this.

11 hours ago, Heatwave said:

Don't forget the jogging round the penalty area with his arms in the air. Occasionally he did it even when play was up the other end.

Remember him well ,always lifting his arms in the air as if to pull his sleeves up. Thought this,  and his continual walking around his area was quite funny , but never really rated him .

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

Christ, I can feel the 'injury prone' cliche and narrative taking hold now. 

Wikipedia has been a disaster for football. Fans should either admit they know nothing about a player or do some proper research.

Those little list of numbers on the right has every fan thinking they can accurately surmise a player's history. 

Walker has had one bad injury. Stop doing mental maths and getting the wrong answer. FFS. 

Joe if you go onto the Shrewsbury forum there are plenty of comments about injuries, not just from this season. It's a valid point to make. All players get injuries and for many players they occur in clusters. Being random doesn't mean a player misses 8 games a season, they may miss a whole season then not have an injury for a couple of season. Broadly speaking players average about 32 to 34 games a season. Some players get labelled injury prone when stats don't really show they are. There isn't a big gap between Worral and Montano in terms of games per season; one considered injury prone, one as always fit for action. Over his career Walker has averaged about 30 games a season, which I would say is a little low but not a big concern. Over the last 3 seasons he has had injuries, including his time at Crewe. What you, nor I, know is whether he has just had a cluster of injuries, or if there is an underlying issue. There isn't enough evidence to say one way or the other. We don't see his medical reports and all professional footballer medicals will pick up some old scar tissue which could develop into a problem. Vale's insurance company and management must feel the risk is low enough to offer a 2 year contract. No doctor can 100% say that, for example, the most recent ankle ligament problem will not reoccur. If you are looking at a signing in the round, based on what is out there in  the public domain, that is an obvious point and a valid point with this player. You can 100% be certain ANY manager at any level would have looked at this aspect of this player. Our management have clearly decided the risk is worth the reward.

Do most think that the transfer listed players like Whitehead and Robinson and even young Burgess will be out the door and long gone before the season starts....but also given injury record that Amoo and at age 36 that Legge is in the managers plans.....seems to looking at players around 25 with experience to    build a squad and fitness and no doubt attitude and workrate seem to be the criteria.

From the players mentioned above then there does seem to be a certain profile for potential signings in terms of age/fitness/quality/experience.....

Defenders; Gibbons/Norman/Smith/Kelleher/Jones/Benning

Midfield; Worrall/Conlon/Walker/Taylor/Hurst

Forwards; Rodney/Gordon/Wilson

Considering that is just 14 players and some no doubt unlikely but even with a couple of keepers that still leaves a further 8 signings for a 24 man squad it is going to be a busy summer.

Unofficial vale (I know) hinting that we are in for Ryan Johnson from Hartlepool and Josh Gordon.

In fairness Ryan Johnson is a rumour I have heard too. The Josh Gordon rumour strikes me as someone lazily putting two and two together given he's local and used to play for DC, however there could be something in it.

A promotion team is built from a squad of players that perform well as a team. Unless you're a Manfield or Salford fan then you're not going to see a plethora of big name players arriving. As both these clubs have proved even this does not guarantee success. Whereas Morecambe went up earlier this week.

Walker seems like he could be a strong cog in a well oiled machine. On the other hand, for whatever reason, he might not work out. Or perhaps he'll do well but the team around him won't.

From his record he seems a good League Two player with the potential to make the step up to League One should we get there. A slight concern over injuries but Clarke's record in this matter at previous clubs is very good and he made a big point of wanting players for and available in the future so we can only assume the matrix has shown Walker has a good chance of being fit for 40+ games.

10 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

Unofficial vale (I know) hinting that we are in for Ryan Johnson from Hartlepool and Josh Gordon.

In fairness Ryan Johnson is a rumour I have heard too. The Josh Gordon rumour strikes me as someone lazily putting two and two together given he's local and used to play for DC, however there could be something in it.

I dont know of Ryan Johnson... I can see he is a 24yr old Defender who stands 6ft 2 and scored 5 goals last year for Hartlepool.

Is he a centre half?

Surely that one would depend on whether Hartlepool get promoted?

17 minutes ago, Burslem Academicals said:

Do most think that the transfer listed players like Whitehead and Robinson and even young Burgess will be out the door and long gone before the season starts....but also given injury record that Amoo and at age 36 that Legge is in the managers plans.....seems to looking at players around 25 with experience to    build a squad and fitness and no doubt attitude and workrate seem to be the criteria.

From the players mentioned above then there does seem to be a certain profile for potential signings in terms of age/fitness/quality/experience.....

Defenders; Gibbons/Norman/Smith/Kelleher/Jones/Benning

Midfield; Worrall/Conlon/Walker/Taylor/Hurst

Forwards; Rodney/Gordon/Wilson

Considering that is just 14 players and some no doubt unlikely but even with a couple of keepers that still leaves a further 8 signings for a 24 man squad it is going to be a busy summer.

Oh god, the pre-season VFIA is back 

Archived