onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

Quote from the article, "Joyce’s ability to win possession high up the pitch and retain it was clear as he won the ball 80 times in the opponents half last season for Darrell Clarke’s side, second only to Jay Spearing in League Two. He also completed a team-high 1,479 passes for the Valiants, often starting many of Vale’s attacking moves from deep, creating 12 chances and notching four assists".
Although not the whole picture they appear pretty good and key stats for a player that some Vale fans don't rate.
I wonder if Flitcroft et al have those stats and stats for other released players in their databases as a benchmark for players to sign.
I clearly had a dodgy ifollow stream last season if those stats are true. I know what I saw with my own eyes!

Advert

Quote from the article, "Joyce’s ability to win possession high up the pitch and retain it was clear as he won the ball 80 times in the opponents half last season for Darrell Clarke’s side, second only to Jay Spearing in League Two. He also completed a team-high 1,479 passes for the Valiants, often starting many of Vale’s attacking moves from deep, creating 12 chances and notching four assists".
Although not the whole picture they appear pretty good and key stats for a player that some Vale fans don't rate.
I wonder if Flitcroft et al have those stats and stats for other released players in their databases as a benchmark for players to sign.
Weird how stats can show things if you want them to. According to whoscored, Joyce had the worst successful pass completion of all of our centre midfielders, including whitehead and burgess! Who'd have thunk it?!

3 minutes ago, philmpv said:
16 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

Weird how stats can show things if you want them to. According to whoscored, Joyce had the worst successful pass completion of all of our centre midfielders, including whitehead and burgess! Who'd have thunk it?!

Lies, damned lies & statistics!

13 minutes ago, philmpv said:
27 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

You are right as Conlon was only 1.2% better with successful passes than Joyce and I would have thought the difference would have been bigger than that.

36 minutes ago, Rocky said:

You are right as Conlon was only 1.2% better with successful passes than Joyce and I would have thought the difference would have been bigger than that.

This is the issue with statistics out of context.

Joyce's passes were most likely taking the ball off the back four and passing it straight back to them (low risk).

Conlon's passes were likely trying to thread balls through opposition lines/defences (higher risk).

3 hours ago, Vale1995 said:

Joyce is a bang average league 2 player. 

He's not an average player he's played 598 times and been a first choice selection at clubs for 12 consecutive seasons. He is quite a limited footballer in terms of his technical ability and can probably only play in a midfield 3. He does play that anchor role well because he has a high level of football intelligence, which is why he makes so many interceptions. I know some Vale fans believe a holding midfielder needs to be 6 foot plus and pump 150kg; but when you look at the best players in that position they tend to be smaller. Its become a role thats to do with recognising where the danger is likely to arrive and being mobile enough to get into the space. I'm not gutted he's gone and wouldn't have been sad if he stayed but he has been a good league 2 player but not good enough to be any more than that. Average player play 300 games and are out of the league by 30.

19 minutes ago, JRC said:

He's not an average player he's played 598 times and been a first choice selection at clubs for 12 consecutive seasons. He is quite a limited footballer in terms of his technical ability and can probably only play in a midfield 3. He does play that anchor role well because he has a high level of football intelligence, which is why he makes so many interceptions. I know some Vale fans believe a holding midfielder needs to be 6 foot plus and pump 150kg; but when you look at the best players in that position they tend to be smaller. Its become a role thats to do with recognising where the danger is likely to arrive and being mobile enough to get into the space. I'm not gutted he's gone and wouldn't have been sad if he stayed but he has been a good league 2 player but not good enough to be any more than that. Average player play 300 games and are out of the league by 30.

Issue with that is that it’s all in the past. He has been a good player. He isn’t good enough at this level now. Which is what matters. 

The Joyce discussion. I think there is a misconception that people think he's crap. He wasn't and will still do a job for somebody. 

I'm sure Clarke wants more dynamism and athletes. We were an ageing team. That is why the old guard are departed . 

Some would still want the so called spine of the team to be 

Brown 36 now 

Legge 36 in July 

Joyce 34 in July 

Pope 36 in August 

All of those have had lengthy careers and served Vale well. We all know the issue with Legge contract extension and he played very well in the winning run. He also played horrendously on occasions. 

We needed to get the age down and the initial signing already fits the bill . Let us trust Clarke and Flitcroft. 

Joyce was a decent player for us, the glue of the midfield. His time had come and I'll applaud him warmly if he does play for an opponent. 

We now need and will get a younger, fitter squad with more legs, energy and enthusiasm. 

Keep the faith 

21 minutes ago, Valepopey11 said:

Jesus christ we’ve done it again, a mate from work (a crewe fan), and i quote, says ‘he’s got the agility of Gemma collins running through treacle with a sharp stone in her shoe and is as fragile as a stunt man with brittle bones’ , clarkey the clown is taking us down and there’s nothing we can do about it,  especially not brad walker, poor poor decision making from this pitiful board

Did she leave a note when she took the kids?

28 minutes ago, Valepopey11 said:

Jesus christ we’ve done it again, a mate from work (a crewe fan), and i quote, says ‘he’s got the agility of Gemma collins running through treacle with a sharp stone in her shoe and is as fragile as a stunt man with brittle bones’ , clarkey the clown is taking us down and there’s nothing we can do about it,  especially not brad walker, poor poor decision making from this pitiful board #DONKEY

AF27F567-0742-4CE8-BEB0-9BD7DDEFD494.jpeg

About the worst trolling attempt I’ve seen 

4 hours ago, philmpv said:
4 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

I clearly had a dodgy ifollow stream last season if those stats are true. I know what I saw with my own eyes!

You clearly did as I watched every game bar 1 on iFollow last season and Joyce was the fulcrum of the Vale team in midfield, always making himself available to receive the ball and usually the dictator of the play, every is entitled to their opinion.

1 hour ago, Valepopey11 said:

Jesus christ we’ve done it again, a mate from work (a crewe fan), and i quote, says ‘he’s got the agility of Gemma collins running through treacle with a sharp stone in her shoe and is as fragile as a stunt man with brittle bones’ , clarkey the clown is taking us down and there’s nothing we can do about it,  especially not brad walker, poor poor decision making from this pitiful board #DONKEY

AF27F567-0742-4CE8-BEB0-9BD7DDEFD494.jpeg

You've got a mate ? 

How's Michael doing anyway? Have lard signed anyone yet ? 

11 hours ago, Burslem Academicals said:

Do most think that the transfer listed players like Whitehead and Robinson and even young Burgess will be out the door and long gone before the season starts....but also given injury record that Amoo and at age 36 that Legge is in the managers plans.....seems to looking at players around 25 with experience to    build a squad and fitness and no doubt attitude and workrate seem to be the criteria.

From the players mentioned above then there does seem to be a certain profile for potential signings in terms of age/fitness/quality/experience.....

Defenders; Gibbons/Norman/Smith/Kelleher/Jones/Benning

Midfield; Worrall/Conlon/Walker/Taylor/Hurst

Forwards; Rodney/Gordon/Wilson

Considering that is just 14 players and some no doubt unlikely but even with a couple of keepers that still leaves a further 8 signings for a 24 man squad it is going to be a busy summer.

i actually think we’ll see legge in a Vale shirt next season, given what he produced in a back 3 under Clarke, i reckon clarke will keep the same system. he says he likes 2 up top and 3 at the back suits this team i feel. otherwise legge would’ve been on the Transfer list. looks at Peter Clarke at 38 still one of the better centre backs in the league. Legge was scapegoated for the decline and a lot of out of form players were overshadowed by some loving fans. i feel that clarke likes the professionalism and character of legge and what’s not to like, with how he is and how legge holds himself why wouldn’t you want someone like that in the changing room 

5 hours ago, philmpv said:
6 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

Yep stats can be interpreted in different ways.  I would say Joyce and Conlon have a similar pass success percentage (69 cf 70.2) the range for all the central midfield players is 69-78.9 and those with the higher percentage played the least. There are other passing stats where Joyce does well and reflects the defensive midfield position he played. He is ranked overall 4th in passing stats behind Worrall, Conlon, and Rodney so a good season's work according to Whoscored and IMHO unlucky to be let go

Archived