Who to sign for next season?

Advert:

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Very harsh and, if nothing else, shows the demand for instant success amongst football supporters nowadays. His first season in league football, was the sole shining light when we were playing absolut

£10,000 is better than £0 as the only reason he'd be going now is the new regime have clearly decided with his injury history he's too risky to be given another deal in the summer.  Disappointing

God help him if he came here. 1 game without scoring: 'We're going to achieve nothing with non league signings', 'he's crap', 'we should have kept Guthrie', 'we need Pope'.....

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Other players exist bar players who once played for Port Vale, folks.

OVF scout former Vale players.

Askey scouted former Macclesfield players.

Clarke and Flitcroft will likely open our scouting to the rest of the country. Or at the very least to former Bristol Rovers and Bury players 

16 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Other players exist bar players who once played for Port Vale, folks.

Whilst I completely agree with this as a concept... We shouldn't rule out the right player just because he has been here before.

Guy is crushing all the stats from a deep lying defensive position this year and is equal on assists with Wozza ... He would be a cracking signing.

Still think he will end up in league 1.

As an aside I remember when he was on loan as a young lad under Brown... There was one game where he ran his socks off and went down with Cramp or a slight knock and Brown made it very clear from the bench that he should "Man up" and get on with it... Later in that game, if my memory serves me he went down with the hamstring injury that curtailed his time with us. Poor management.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Iron Curtain said:

Whilst I completely agree with this as a concept... We shouldn't rule out the right player just because he has been here before.

Guy is crushing all the stats from a deep lying defensive position this year and is equal on assists with Wozza ... He would be a cracking signing.

Still think he will end up in league 1.

As an aside I remember when he was on loan as a young lad under Brown... There was one game where he ran his socks off and went down with Cramp or a slight knock and Brown made it very clear from the bench that he should "Man up" and get on with it... Later in that game, if my memory serves me he went down with the hamstring injury that curtailed his time with us. Poor management.

Agree. Guy is exceptional. Will go to a clever club. Loads of other good players out there.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Joe B said:

Agree. Guy is exceptional. Will go to a clever club. 

I just had a look and I cant believe he is only 24... In my head he was a few years older than that!

He also missed most of last year at Carlisle with a knee injury which hopefully doesnt hold him back. 

Edited by Iron Curtain

Advert:

Clarke and Flitcroft will likely open our scouting to the rest of the country. Or at the very least to former Bristol Rovers and Bury players 
Walsall?
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, stupers said:

When Burgess and Taylor play together, there is a noticeable improvement in both players. However, how you do that when you have Conlon playing like he is, is anyone's guess. Conlon could also attract interest from higher up clubs, aside from the first 3/4 games under Clarke, he's been excellent. 

Joyce's contract is up at the end of the season, and he'll be 34 on opening day. Is he a guy you have sticking about? 

Centre midfield is going to be a very interesting area of change in the summer. 6 here today, possibly only one (Taylor) of these could be on the books come the first game.

I think the problem is if you are trying to cull the central midfield area is that four of the current crop (Conlon, Whitehead, Burgess and Taylor) are contracted beyond the summer. There's also the chance that Joyce, who has been a regular, has triggered a contract extension as he did last summer.

Obviously, we'd all want Conlon to stay but I would imagine the jury's out on the four others. But how do you get rid if they are under contract without doing loads of expensive contract pay-offs?

Posted (edited)

And here lies the issues of the squad construction under Askey.

As Clarke said, we have too many of one type of player and nowhere near enough of others (loads of right-footed 8s and one DM).

Askey's commitment to playing in one way only has hamstrung us. 

I hate to be the one consistently banging on about a manager who is gone, but it only illustrates how important it is to properly plan recruitment out. We haven't done it in years. This squad needs ripping up and sorting out. 

Edited by Joe B

3 hours ago, vale victory said:

Is Callum Guy out of contract at the end of the season ???? I think he might be

He would be snd excellent replacement for Joyce

Be a class signing but will probably sign for someone higher up

Advert:

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, sandyford_valiant said:

I do think we will be in for Corey Blackett-Taylor though from Tranmere. 

Interesting shout... Surely he would be out of our reach too?

Celtic, Forrest, Swansea and Millwall all mentioned as being interesting in the last 9 months.

Although saying that seems to have disappeared from Tranmere's plans... A wasted talent they are calling him.

Edited by Iron Curtain
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, robf said:

I think the problem is if you are trying to cull the central midfield area is that four of the current crop (Conlon, Whitehead, Burgess and Taylor) are contracted beyond the summer. There's also the chance that Joyce, who has been a regular, has triggered a contract extension as he did last summer.

Obviously, we'd all want Conlon to stay but I would imagine the jury's out on the four others. But how do you get rid if they are under contract without doing loads of expensive contract pay-offs?

Pay offs may be the only way because at least two of them are not worth keeping. The cost of poor transfer dealing, sadly.

Posted (edited)

With the departure of Manny, it leaves with basically zero midfielders who can consistently progress the ball up the pitch.

I'd look at Otis Khan; good experience of the level, at a good age, last few moves haven't worked out for him but of undoubted quality. He's put up some good underlying numbers at Tranmere despite it not showing in up the goals + assists column.

Out of contract and the sort of creative player we'll need. 

EDIT: just googled him and there's a raft of League 1 clubs sniffing. Put this in the ignore pile. Apparently pulling up trees at wing-back and even Preston in the Championship are interested. 

Edited by Joe B

If we are going to commit to the 3 at the back then could it open the door to maybe moving Worrall inside as one of the midfield three going forward? Though he has done a solid job at wingback I do feel it isn’t making the best usage of his talent there.

5 hours ago, Wrex said:

DC and DF want to scour Europe,Scotland etc for talent and not just those close to

Advert:

I think DF will be thinking, if it's the only way and we really don't want most of our midfield (which I wouldn't be surprised at one bit), maybe it's worth Carol biting the bullet for 1 season and not including those players not wanted in the squad list. They will still get paid to the end of their contracts obviously, but the removal of the salary cap has made that a perfectly viable option, so long as Carol agrees with it and will/can fund it. Obvious danger with this is negative effect by those players on the dressing room
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, philmpv said:
5 hours ago, robf said:

I think DF will be thinking, if it's the only way and we really don't want most of our midfield (which I wouldn't be surprised at one bit), maybe it's worth Carol biting the bullet for 1 season and not including those players not wanted in the squad list. They will still get paid to the end of their contracts obviously, but the removal of the salary cap has made that a perfectly viable option, so long as Carol agrees with it and will/can fund it. Obvious danger with this is negative effect by those players on the dressing room