Next Manager

41 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Flitcroft likes to play 352.

Be interesting if we make a switch to that. Would need a centre half before Monday, though.

My guess will be one will come in monday and maybe the new manager will want another one or two in but will only have a day to ship bodies out.... at least it might be a busy day on Monday

Advert:

We don’t know who it will be at present

What we do know is that not everyone will be happy and if we don’t win our first 5 or so games with a new manager people will be calling for his / her head.

That’s what it’s like being a Vale fan nowadays

3 minutes ago, osprey said:

What we do know is that not everyone will be happy and if we don’t win our first 5 or so games with a new manager people will be very worried about relegation and will react, understandably, emotionally at seeing their football club on the brink.

That’s what it’s like being a football fan/human.

Fixed it for you. 

Edited by Joe B

Advert:

32 minutes ago, Joe B said:

They were rampant that year then contrived to lose their last 3, and fell in the playoffs. Weird.

Main thing is that managers learn from this sort of stuff. 

By the end of December they had only lost 1 game 

They were additionally the only side in the top four English divisions unbeaten away from home, until a 2–1 loss against Carlisle

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Joe B said:

They ran us ragged with this 343 system in the 18/19 season at Field Mill. The wingbacks stretched and our back 4 couldn't cope. Walker and Hamilton, with their pace, were able to dissect us through the channels as there were gaping holes between our centre halves and fullbacks. Pearce was dominant all day. It was only 1-0 but it could have been 5. Said to my mate it was the most outclassed we'd been in a league game for years. 

568457859_Screenshot2021-01-30at12_43_30.thumb.png.8eefb1dce193d3b2f18551fd7c8744ee.png

I suppose we could go for:

Brown

Smith New CB Brisley

Gibbons Conlon Taylor Monty

Guthrie Pope (if fit) Rodney

Or, have Guthrie central and Worrall in the front three, with the job of falling back into midfield out of possession.

Would have your wide players providing creativity, two industrious midfielders, and two quick forwards supporting a focal point.

Needs a CB able to dominate like Pearce, and a target man.

Could be the making of Crookes, I know he has his detractors, and for good reason when he played left back. But left of a back 3 is where he wants to play so could be a nice fit.

34 minutes ago, CAVALIER said:

Rudgie played 3 centre backs admittedly excellent players in Swanny, Aspo and Deano with wingbacks of Porter and Kent didn’t he? Anything’s possible. 

Very rarely. When all 3 played Aspin normally played rightback. Aspin played almost as many games at fullback as centrehalf. 

• Like 1

Advert:

5 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Could be the making of Crookes, I know he has his detractors, and for good reason when he played left back. But left of a back 3 is where he wants to play so could be a nice fit.

That’s where he made his debut at Crawley and he was excellent. Aspin said it was one of the best debuts he’d seen.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eddie Ford said:

For a starters I do know that he’s applied.

Secondly, having a different opinion to you does not mean it’s negative.

You do not agree with me, I do not agree with you, that does not make it negative

If he's applied, that's really encouraging. I looked up the base data on Adams, Flitcroft and McGreal:

McGreal 

Clubs managed: 1

Promotions: 1 play-off

Win ratio: 37.4%

Flitcroft

Clubs managed: 5

Promotions: 1 (Bury)

Win ratio: 40.1%

Plus, two successful relegation fights

Adams

Clubs managed: 3

Promotions: 3 (Ross County twice; Plymouth Argyle; plus one play-off with Plymouth; and, currently Morecambe in 4th L2)

Win ratio: 42%

Plus, voted PFA Manager of the Year for Scotland 2011-12

To my mind, that puts Adams in pole position but it clearly depends, importantly, on whether our owners think he is a good fit for their ambitions for the club and its culture: it's clearly much more than track record. 

I'm really pleased to hear you say he's applied and I hope you're right because it looks as if he knows how to manage. 

Good luck to Carole and Co as they make this decision: UTV. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CambridgeDon said:

If he's applied, that's really encouraging. I looked up the base data on Adams, Flitcroft and McGreal:

McGreal 

Flitcroft

Adams

Promotions: 3 (Ross County twice; Plymouth Argyle; plus one play-off with Plymouth; and, currently Morecambe in 4th L2)

To my mind, that puts Adams in pole position but it clearly depends, importantly, on whether our owners think he is a good fit for their ambitions for the club and its culture: it's clearly much more than track record. 

I'm really pleased to hear you say he's applied and I hope you're right because it looks as if he knows how to manage. 

Why do people think adams has any chance we have no chwnce of getting him hes within touching distance of the top with morecombe why would he want to leave that for a relegation scrap with us. Baffling how anyone thinks we have a chance of getting him

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CambridgeDon said:

McGreal 

Flitcroft

Adams

How can Adams be in pole position?

He’s already in a job. It would cost money to release him from his contract and there’s nothing on any news feeds to say he’s even remotely interested. Added to this he got a reasonable chance of adding another promotion to his CV so money apart why would he want to go backwards in trying to resuscitate Vale?

if he does come then credit to him as most wouldn’t.

Edited by soothsayer

Advert:

19 minutes ago, soothsayer said:

How can Adams be in pole position?

He’s already in a job. It would cost money to release him from his contract and there’s nothing on any news feeds to say he’s even remotely interested. Added to this he got a reasonable chance of adding another promotion to his CV so money apart why would he want to go backwards in trying to resuscitate Vale?

if he does come then credit to him as most wouldn’t.

Even in these crazy times, we haven’t gone so wacky that Morecombe will get promoted.

bet.

Soothsayer

Read it again: on the basis of form and track record, he is the best of the three. Undeniably. I deliberately said these data were only part of the picture IF he had applied. The rest is up to him and the club. 

And the assumption that your news feed might have something to say about a private application made by a private individual in a confidential and competitive setting is just nonsense.

And it's clear why he might want to apply to the Vale. We are a bigger club with more potential despite our current wretched position; with good, ambitious owners, a better stadium, bigger crowds and a history of being in higher divisions. In short, much more long-term potential than Morecambe who would find it difficult to survive in a higher division on the resources they have.

And most wouldn't apply? That's not what the club has said. We'll see.

Edited by CambridgeDon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1