1 hour ago, Joe B said:

Just as a counterpoint to the 'no internal appointments' view; Mark Bonner of Cambridge (4th) and Mike Flynn of Newport (2nd) were both internally appointed after their boss was sacked.

Not saying at all this bodes well for Pugh - just that sometimes such a move can be successful. Both operated as caretakers and were successful before getting the job permanently. 

Spot on.  There’s no reason at all it can’t work with Pugh, just as there’s no guarantee it’ll work for him, or any other appointment for that matter.

It makes absolute sense to give someone from within the club a crack at it whilst in the background we can interview and do our due diligence with favoured applicants, who, depending upon the teams results, and the suitability of potential candidates, we may not even need to spend out on.

That said, and no disrespect to DP, but personally I’d like to think that if we could attract a real stand out candidate, on a sensible, affordable contract, we’d go down that route, but in fairness, if the results and performances improve, DP has earned the right to continue in the role this season and see where he takes us.

• Like 1

Advert:

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some interesting responses on here to the latest development. I'd like to add some context. In the past TWENTY YEARS we have only achieved a top 7 finish in the league... ONCE. This was under MA

The meltdown on here is laughable.  Please can someone tell me the success we have had in appointing a manager since Micky left? None. Flitcroft being appointed DoF shows our long term visio

Check out wiki.  He's run the family business with his brother and father for 15 years and has his own football academy.  He's not been "just" a player and manager.  In view of the amount of crit

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

Well the grimsby game is evidence on why pugh is better thank askey he can clearly motivate the players and get them playing again so thats why it was worth sacking him. Im guessing they have been looking at players for months now and as carol said in the interview that hasnt changed because askey is gone both pugh and sinclair will have ideas on what players to bring in that could help us throughout this season.

but her thinking is clearly who can get the most out of this current squad and she obviously feels pugh can. Now then in summer she will re evaluate whos is most likely to put a squad together and take the club forward and that's when she might decide to bring in someone new. 

if the players get on board with pugh and put 100% in for him then i doubt someone new will get more out of them than him and theres the chance someone new comea in and doesnt do well. So if pugh can get results till the end of the season and then we decide thats good enough for me

That Dosent make sense though. We want askey sacked partly because of his horrible record in the transfer market. But it’s ok because the players we will sign have been identified previously, which askey will have had a part in. Makes no sense.

We should be bringing in a manager now or give Pugh a few games and if he wins them all give it him. Don’t understand this stance of being in limbo. Basically sounds like the season is over so might as well keep Pugh. 

Edited by valiant_593

1 hour ago, mikey said:

Internal appointments have yet to work for us, and only time will tell, but I'd rather have someone with no relationship to this current untrustworthy mob we have playing at the moment.

What about Rudgey?

1 minute ago, mikey said:

hes too old now, but well suited to his advisory role

Was replying to the comment that internal appointments don’t work with us, he was internal when he replaced McGrath.

Advert:

I think this is sensible from Carol.

He might work he might not but usually before we’ve rushed. Bruno is gone within days Brown has the gig, Foyle for eg then Glover.

She’s not said he’s got to end of the season but giving him chance to keep it up until then by producing results... if it doesn’t work in a few weeks she can bring someone in permanent... if he goes well then based on how it pans out he should get the gig full time in the summer.

Why do we need to rush it? Maybe more options nearer the summer too.

Sounds like the players love him and he’s well respected so let’s see. As I said look at Tranmere, their caretakers won 7-8 in a row... then Hill came in and tinkered it and now they are back below us!

• Like 1

As others, I’m not quite sure what to think after listening to Carol’s interview. My issue is that it all seems a bit ‘nice’ once again. The players and Carol clearly like Pugh so he has become the easy option. I’m not sure I want a manager who’s everyone’s mate. Pope’s interview in The Sentinel also worried me for the above reasons. 

Also, I’m not sure that Carol needed to imply that she’s barely looked at any applications yet. The message she’s given to potential managers is that Pugh is the man until something changes. Would individuals be ready to wait? 

I’m not sure what to think and I may be way off the mark. It might turn out to be a huge positive that we are in no rush and prepared to see how Pugh does. 

Edited by SuperHuman
  • Like 3

In other news the bt commentator just mentioned how richie bennett is coming on and used to play for port vale and he is pretty good at getting flick ons.... is he??? Dont think i saw him jump never mind winning a header ahahahah

Edited by Vale1995

1 hour ago, tommytunstall said:

Was replying to the comment that internal appointments don’t work with us, he was internal when he replaced McGrath.

ah ok - my bad

that was many years ago, and the more recent ones have been terrible, but I get your point 👍

Advert:

We just have January to bring in 1 or 2 more players, with the need to ship out 1 or 2 players or carry their contracts. Incoming players will already have been identified to cover our obvious gaps, whether an i/c manager would want alternatives considering the timescale is unknown. Most managers have to manage what is there when changing clubs within the season.  Whereas choosing a new manager can be done over many months to suit the circumstances, reasonable results over the coming weeks/months  will allow the process to be deferred  to the end of the season.  Giving a caretaker the chance of a longer spell or even permanent promotion gives him greater incentive and enhances his status with the players, as they will be aware he could have a say in their contracts.

I'm very shallow/petty in that I didn't like how the players referred to their manager as 'Pughy'. Up to him/then, but doesn't do much to dispel the notion that it's all very cosy, which the club should be trying to avoid after the whispers of previous weeks. I get that he's their mate but how many other EFL manager would be referred to by his nickname? I doubt Warnock is known as 'Warnocky' to his players, though they probably have alternative nicknames for when he's not present. 

Either way - I think it's Pugh's job to lose. This isn't a caretaker role, but more of a trial run. If he fails it, that's when external applicants will be seriously considered. If he performs competently, then he'll get the job, due to the unique nature of this season.

Just how I read the interview. Probably wrong. 

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 1

I'm very shallow/petty in that I didn't like how the players referred to their manager as 'Pughy'. Up to him/then, but doesn't do much to dispel the notion that it's all very cosy, which the club should be trying to avoid after the whispers of previous weeks. I get that he's their mate but how many other EFL manager would be referred to by his nickname? I doubt Warnock is known as 'Warnocky' to his players, though they probably have alternative nicknames for when he's not present. 
Either way - I think it's Pugh's job to lose. This isn't a caretaker role, but more of a trial run. If he fails it, that's when external applicants will be seriously considered. If he performs competently, then he'll get the job, due to the unique nature of this season.

Don’t care what they call Pugh if we are winning games

26 minutes ago, osprey said:

Don’t care what they call Pugh if we are winning games

I agree, but it doesn't help the (wrong) view being circulated that the players have downed tools for Askey to get their mate in charge, thereby making their lives easier, and all transgressions have now been forgotten.

This view is all over social media (there was a fair bit on here) - that the players are snakes, that Pugh is their mate, that it's all too nice. There would be an unpleasant atmopshere if we were at games if what I'm reading is in any way representative.

I DON'T AGREE WITH THIS VIEW, TO BE CLEAR

A lot of fans are very angry at the players at present, and players referring to the man who replaced what some fans deemed a 'wronged' manager as 'Pughy' isn't going to placate the masses much. As you say though, and as I've said for a while, all this dissent/rumours/whispers will evaporate if we string together a few wins. Fans go a bit crazy when results turn sour. Hope Pugh can deliver.

Edited by Joe B

11 hours ago, Joe B said:

I doubt Warnock is known as 'Warnocky' to his players, though they probably have alternative nicknames for when he's not present. 

I believe the players call Neil Warnock "Colin"....  If you are a fan of anagrams then you will see why. 

• Like 1

Advert:

11 hours ago, Joe B said:

I'm not sure if Warnock was ever in the same team with someone he later managed?

1 minute ago, For Us All said:

I'm not sure if Warnock was ever in the same team with someone he later managed?

Fair point. I guess it's part and parcel of the risks of internal appointments. It's not really an issue - just how it will be viewed by fans who want to believe the players 'did in' Askey and have got their mate the job.

• Like 2

Personally I don't want Pugh as manager but if he gets us winning games consistently let's say 4 or 5 out the next 6 then it would be daft to change it. I don't see this happening but you never know. Tranmere won 5 on the trot with the caretaker in charge appointed a new manager and then dropped off again. I think this transfer window will give us a little idea of his recruitment and if it doesn't workout it needs to change before the end of the season to give the next person time. The last thing we need is a manager coming in the summer and having to rush his recruitment