Unfortunately, as we've seen throughout this pandemic, the powers that be haven't got a clue.  They keep talking about "the science" but neither the science, nor just plain old common sense, back up many of the decisions being made.  They're making it up as they go along.

Science, and common sense, would tell us that a properly managed outdoor event can't possibly pose the same risk as a large number of people gathering indoors, such as in the confines of city centre pubs and restaurants, who then, under current rules, all spill out onto the street at 10 o'clock to mingle freely.

Whoever dreams up these ideas clearly doesn't spend much time thinking about them in any depth.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had to laugh as I was  standing in a queue to buy my season ticket today.  Turned around and read an old sign up outside the Railway turnstile. All face coverings of any kind must be removed befo

If the season finishes now then surely we will be promoted in second place?

We bought our season tickets on the monthly payment scheme so had committed in January.  What I find quite aggravating about all of this is that you are allowed to get onto an aeroplane, sit right nex

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

Watching the German highlights tonight, most grounds had a reasonable sprinkling of fans spaced out in little clusters of 2 or 3 fans. Why not here?

A couple of crowds were just above  6,000 

On 26/09/2020 at 18:07, ollyandpatch said:

Whatever anybody thinks of how politicians are doing we are faced with a possible major crisis. I was one of the first to state back in February that the season would not finish and working in the pharmacy business without a vaccine this virus won't be going anywhere. We have dispatched over a million flu doses to our branches and are desperate to get more in. Imagine mumps, rubella, chicken pox, and measles without a vaccine, I would expect that the government will throw money at this as it gets worse but that won't stop people getting infected, including footballers, coaches, managers etc. My prediction for what it's worth is that as games get called of (just two today) on a more regular basis and winter starts to take its toll football I'm afraid will end at the beginning of December. I pray I am way off the mark as I miss my Saturdays in the railway stand and hope all fellow Valiants stay safe....UTV.

Now, where did I put that noose

• 3 weeks later...

On 28/09/2020 at 21:41, Guitar Ray said:

Unfortunately, as we've seen throughout this pandemic, the powers that be haven't got a clue.  They keep talking about "the science" but neither the science, nor just plain old common sense, back up many of the decisions being made.  They're making it up as they go along.

Science, and common sense, would tell us that a properly managed outdoor event can't possibly pose the same risk as a large number of people gathering indoors, such as in the confines of city centre pubs and restaurants, who then, under current rules, all spill out onto the street at 10 o'clock to mingle freely.

Whoever dreams up these ideas clearly doesn't spend much time thinking about them in any depth.

So hundreds of Vale fans don't want a pre match pint, they then don't queue together to get in the ground. When inside they then sit apart as instructed and wouldn't dream of tearing up any tape that indicates a seat shouldn't be sat on, even though they've sat on the same seat for 25 years. When Vale score they don't jump up hugging and shaking hands. They don't chant, shout at the ref  or sing at any point and completely ignore Glad All Over if Vale score. At the final whistle  they all leave the ground seperately whilst social distancing and don't all spill out at the same time to mingle freely. Of course the thought of another pint or two in Burslem doesn't cross their minds as they walk home  in silence whilst wearing their masks.

• Thanks 1

If you can social distance queuing to get in a supermarket, you can do the same queuing at the turnstile and at the kiosks, obviously you woudlnt be able to hang around on the concourse. Im sure people would be prepared not to sit in their normal seat if it meant they could actually go and watch/support the club they love.

12 hours ago, boslemportvale91 said:

Brentford doing the same. Charging 40 quid though! 

W who in their right mind is going to pay £40 when you can get it on iFollow for £10.

greedy bar stewards.

If you can social distance queuing to get in a supermarket, you can do the same queuing at the turnstile and at the kiosks, obviously you woudlnt be able to hang around on the concourse. Im sure people would be prepared not to sit in their normal seat if it meant they could actually go and watch/support the club they love.
I think you're underestimating how weird people get about 'their' seats. I've seen fights break out over a seat when the seat to either side of it was free. There was even someone on here who said that he would be happy for the club to lose money by keeping a virtually empty stand open just so he could keep his seat! You can't legislate for the weirdness of people
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, jimbo57 said:

So hundreds of Vale fans don't want a pre match pint, they then don't queue together to get in the ground. When inside they then sit apart as instructed and wouldn't dream of tearing up any tape that indicates a seat shouldn't be sat on, even though they've sat on the same seat for 25 years. When Vale score they don't jump up hugging and shaking hands. They don't chant, shout at the ref  or sing at any point and completely ignore Glad All Over if Vale score. At the final whistle  they all leave the ground seperately whilst social distancing and don't all spill out at the same time to mingle freely. Of course the thought of another pint or two in Burslem doesn't cross their minds as they walk home  in silence whilst wearing their masks.

It looks like only season ticket holders will be allowed if it happens at all this season.  They might all want a pint but they won't get in the pubs as it stands.  I guess they would be expected to queue socially distanced, possibly wearing masks, and I'd guess this would be stewarded/policed.  I would imagine that seats would be allocated on a match by match basis and again this would be controlled by stewards once in the ground.  I wouldn't worry about Vale scoring at present but again masks will probably be compulsory so you can shout as loud as you want, into your mask, with nobody outside your bubble within 1 metre.  At the final whistle the ground could simply be emptied a section at a time, fans remaining in their seats until called.

Whatever the guidelines, it just requires the majority conform, as is currently the case with the wearing of masks in shops.

I think that most fans will abide by any rules if the choice is returning to live football in grounds, or not, whilst you clearly think everyone is an anarchist.

Has it been reported why exactly October was initially given as the date that fans could return to stadiums?

The season began in September, six months after lockdown. I'm sure clubs could easily have been ready for then. They were certainly ready this month.

Did the government initially set October to see how the infection rates were once schools and universities went back, and then cancelled it when they saw the infection rate going up?

Fans could easily have safely returned to stadiums in September. But now the government are trying to scare/reason with the public into following social distancing then it would clash with that message if fans were allowed back in now.

I think it's fair to say that football and football fans got screwed over on this one.

On 20/10/2020 at 10:27, Santa said:

Gullis managed to get in the ground and watch the game on Saturday.

Theres a few who are in the know etc. Alastair Campbell got in to watch Burnley.

I thought Phil Sherwin came across okay last night, but no disrespect to Phil how is he different to any other fan ? Yes he does stats but he is neither an employee of the football club or Radio Stoke, unless the stats thing counts him as an employee maybe.

If that is the case then i guess he's entitled to go, if he isn;t an employee then hopefully i'll be co-commentator at Oldham.

39 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Theres a few who are in the know etc. Alastair Campbell got in to watch Burnley.

I thought Phil Sherwin came across okay last night, but no disrespect to Phil how is he different to any other fan ? Yes he does stats but he is neither an employee of the football club or Radio Stoke, unless the stats thing counts him as an employee maybe.

If that is the case then i guess he's entitled to go, if he isn;t an employee then hopefully i'll be co-commentator at Oldham.

Phil is an employee of the club - he's the programme editor.  He also works for the Sentinel, like Mike Baggaley, who has done the co-commentator role without anyone complaining.

• Like 1