Transfer Rumours Pre-Season

10 minutes ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

Surely JA has had a conversation with Rowe. Think he would fall into the category of players previously out of reach who may come into reach. Would be very happy with that signing. 

Yes, you'd think he'd spoken to him. He clearly has a high opinion of him. When he was at Macc, Askey described him as 'brave, strong, quick, good on the ball and has a good shot on him'". 

At 28, it must be a worrying time to be without a club at this stage of the pre-season, so maybe JA is waiting for the cost of his wages to come down.

The problem as I see it is whether he would come if he thought he was behind Amoo and Wozza in the pecking order. Can't see him wanting to sign just to warm the bench.

But you never know - fingers crossed because he would be a great signing.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nothing wrong with getting just a little carried away at the moment,  as long as we all remember that it's The Vale we're talking about. But then again this is the New Vale and it feels amazing,  even

I honestly despair with some Vale fans... Is it bred into our DNA that we have to seek out negativity???? As I'm typing this, we've have just launched the nicest football strip I can remember, desig

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, CambridgeDon said:

Yes, you'd think he'd spoken to him. He clearly has a high opinion of him. When he was at Macc, Askey described him as 'brave, strong, quick, good on the ball and has a good shot on him'". 

At 28, it must be a worrying time to be without a club at this stage of the pre-season, so maybe JA is waiting for the cost of his wages to come down.

The problem as I see it is whether he would come if he thought he was behind Amoo and Wozza in the pecking order. Can't see him wanting to sign just to warm the bench.

But you never know - fingers crossed because he would be a great signing.

Askey also said he lacked self-belief which might stop him achieving his potential in the same interview. He's 28 and played 23 EFL games.

2 hours ago, philmpv said:
2 hours ago, PV1973 said:
Stats can be twisted anyway you want and to look as bad as you like and you know that's exactly what you're doing here. Will Robinson be as effective in the system as Pope or Cullen for the way we want to play? We don't know until we see him play, but Askey must be confident he can.
What do you think they spend the week on in training? Just a few examples. The work they do in the 11 a side training games will be our usual system and the other team (picked from the rest of the squad) may well set up as the Saturday opposition do. They will also try different combinations of players in these games, swapping the strikers around for example or changing the wingers. Attacking wise the training drills are based on one up front and also us working on patterns of play in the various areas of the pitch in order to get us in to the box or into good positions for a cross or a shot. By that I mean the link up play between the right hand side of the pitch players (say Gibbo, Amoo, Burgess for example) and we'll work on the left hand side too (it may be Monty, Conlon, Worrall). Then you'll get Joyce thrown in to equation in how he links with them and gets the play started. These will then feed in to the one striker for finishing or we'll be working on one of the wingers arriving late or a midfield runner getting to the edge of the box. So basically we train on a one up front basis as we would be setting up usually for a matchday, but that striker will rotate in the drills or the games.

Funny how simply stating a fact becomes a twisted stat so far as pope is concerned

Lets not play the victim eh.... you know what you were doing there by dissecting a previous point on the number of goals to pick out a negative in there, so let’s not pretend you weren’t doing anything else but taking a positive and turning it into a dig. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, JRC said:

Askey also said he lacked self-belief which might stop him achieving his potential in the same interview. He's 28 and played 23 EFL games.

Makes you wonder if he will be able to forge a career now.

21 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Makes you wonder if he will be able to forge a career now.

I reckon that a bit harsh... he had a long successful none league career and then joined a club in the championship which was probably a level too far. 

he has had 2 successful Spells in our league at Lincoln.

Both Ipswich and Lincoln fans say on their respective forums they would like him to sign next year.

Clearly has had some success playing for Askey and would be an excellent signing if we managed it. 

Interestingly, as well as out wide Lincoln deployed him through the middle as an advanced attacking mid and reckon he played very well there.

• Like 2

Lets not play the victim eh.... you know what you were doing there by dissecting a previous point on the number of goals to pick out a negative in there, so let’s not pretend you weren’t doing anything else but taking a positive and turning it into a dig. 
Just so I'm clear. It's perfectly ok for somebody to say that Pope scored 11 last season but it's not ok for somebody to add a bit of context to the basic statistic?
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JRC said:

According to wiki, he's played 76, unless I've counted it wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Rowe_(footballer,_born_1992)

Still, not that many for a lad of 28. JA will know him well enough to judge whether he can cut it. 

4 minutes ago, CambridgeDon said:

According to wiki, he's played 76, unless I've counted it wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Rowe_(footballer,_born_1992)

Still, not that many for a lad of 28. JA will know him well enough to judge whether he can cut it. 

I didn't realise he played at at Stockport in the league. I'd added up the Lincoln and Ipswich games and then typed in just the Ipswich ones. Just had a look on soccerbase and there are not many starts in that number. To be fair I think he did quite well at Lincoln.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

I reckon that a bit harsh... he had a long successful none league career and then joined a club in the championship which was probably a level too far. 

Both Ipswich and Lincoln fans say on their respective forums they would like him to sign next year.

Clearly has had some success playing for Askey and would be an excellent signing if we managed it. 

Interestingly, as well as out wide Lincoln deployed him through the middle as an advanced attacking mid and reckon he played very well there.

Have no idea about the Lincoln forum. The Ipswich forum had most fans saying he wasn't really good enough when they released him.

4 hours ago, philmpv said:

Pope got 1 (that's right, 1) from open play in the league last season. If that puts him ahead of Robinson then so be it, but can't see it myself.

I personally think that JA needs a striker that he can rely on to be available first and foremost so that the training during the week can concentrate on the system that he wants to play. If Cullen wasn't so injury prone I think he would be ahead of both Robinson and pope but, as it is, Robinson I think is the man he will look at as his preferred choice, barring Rodney developing quicker than expected.

I must have dreamt the Morecambe home game then, could swear both Pope's goals were from open play that day? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

I didn’t mean it to sound so harsh, more as a observation in the current climate that with no club and not that many EFL appearances under his belt that it may be hard at his age to get back to where he wants to be. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

I think fitness would be the major issue with Rowe after his injury,that could be why he is without a club at the moment

I think its a buyers market as well, the current situation could well have worked in clubs favours looking to pick up players on good deals.