Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
robf

Worst-Ever Vale XI - the right-back

Recommended Posts

I feel that Justin Miller deserves a mention, signed on a 2 for 1 deal from Orient with Shane Tudor. The same summer that Oldham did us a similar deal for Craig Rocastle and Paul ‘Heather’ Edwards. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Santa said:

I feel that Justin Miller deserves a mention, signed on a 2 for 1 deal from Orient with Shane Tudor. The same summer that Oldham did us a similar deal for Craig Rocastle and Paul ‘Heather’ Edwards. 

Have we ever had a more one-footed player than Paul Edwards?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have forgotten many players from my 43 years watching Port Vale. I think in recent times Wilson was never fit and recovered from his injuries which diminished him. Stockley played a reasonable number of games and tried hard enough. But he just showed a complete lack of judgement and technique making alarming mistakes. I mean the point is not to let the right footed player come inside and shoot when that is obviously what they want to do. Yet he was uniquely untalented at letting that happen again and again by diving in or completely wrong stance / positioning. I can't forgive that; surely he should at least learn from experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Santa said:

I feel that Justin Miller deserves a mention, signed on a 2 for 1 deal from Orient with Shane Tudor. The same summer that Oldham did us a similar deal for Craig Rocastle and Paul ‘Heather’ Edwards. 

I wholeheartedly agree with Justin Miller as the worst right back we've had since I've been watching the Vale. Lovely fella, just wasn't good enough (much like the rest of the squad). Didn't he also have a massive throw that was rarely showcased?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/03/2020 at 00:08, Jacko51 said:

Have we ever had a more one-footed player than Paul Edwards?

For some reason you always notice it more with left footed players, probably because most of us are right footed. Anthony Griffiths was a?equally one footed, if not more so.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JRC said:

For some reason you always notice it more with left footed players, probably because most of us are right footed. 

That's a great point. I hadn't thought about it before.

Slightly off tangent (I confess) but nevertheless quite interesting for the old 'uns, I was reading a book about Jimmy Greaves, perhaps the greatest goalscorer in these islands that we'll ever see, and it was said that he had 4 outstanding qualities that explain his greatness: speed over 5-10 yards, composure, the knack of being in the right place at the right time/knowing where to run, and lastly - I'm getting there - he was two-footed. He could score with any foot just as easily. I think from memory they said he was left footed but I'm fairly sure he scored more with his right. But whatever it was, he was truly gifted and that was in large part down to his ability to use either foot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/03/2020 at 21:08, Jacko51 said:

Have we ever had a more one-footed player than Paul Edwards?

Tom Conlon.

His left-foot is excellent, but I've never seen a player so insistent on doing everything with his stronger foot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TheSage said:

That's a great point. I hadn't thought about it before.

Slightly off tangent (I confess) but nevertheless quite interesting for the old 'uns, I was reading a book about Jimmy Greaves, perhaps the greatest goalscorer in these islands that we'll ever see, and it was said that he had 4 outstanding qualities that explain his greatness: speed over 5-10 yards, composure, the knack of being in the right place at the right time/knowing where to run, and lastly - I'm getting there - he was two-footed. He could score with any foot just as easily. I think from memory they said he was left footed but I'm fairly sure he scored more with his right. But whatever it was, he was truly gifted and that was in large part down to his ability to use either foot.

There are very few genuinely two footed players. Worrall isn't bad with his left but his delivery with his left is definitely more hit and miss. Taylor is the only other current player I can think of. Even someone like Clark cuts back onto his right to get a cross in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy