Jump to content
Fosse69

Match Thread: Newport County v Port Vale

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

Poor result. Newport aren’t exactly Barcelona. Just a big, physical side. And that side we lost 5-2 to....Crewe beat quite comfortably. 

Solid League 2 side.  Effective style and 2nd in the league and unbeaten in 18 league matches.  Very little in it today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a shame you get the same for a narrow 1-0 defeat as a 5-2 battering against an average side.

 

Sounds like we played well and were unlucky not to get a point. Not sure subs were correct but wasn't there so can't say too much.

 

Maybe it'll be a missed opportunity but mid table seems about right for us this season. Maybe 2 or 3 players off a playoff place 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Emile said:

It's a shame you get the same for a narrow 1-0 defeat as a 5-2 battering against an average side.

 

Sounds like we played well and were unlucky not to get a point. Not sure subs were correct but wasn't there so can't say too much.

 

Maybe it'll be a missed opportunity but mid table seems about right for us this season. Maybe 2 or 3 players off a playoff place 

Midfield is the problem area

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unlucky Vale. Woz just switched off at a throw in and left Crooks exposed at left back. Good save by Brown from their penalty (shocking decision, that was a foul on Smith) so justice done there. 

Pope would have been more effective for the style of football we played today. Hope Archers injury doesn't keep him out too long. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Nothing like an overreaction 

No overreaction. I’m not calling for the managers head or for the players to be strung up in the middle of Burslem. I’m calling it how it is....a poor result. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Jacob_123 said:

Hope Archer’s injury isn’t too serious... looked in a bad way.

According to Baggers he was on oxygen after the game and has gone to hospital.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That said, I’m starting to agree with other posters that Askey leaves his subs too late. Might not have made any difference today but Archer on after 60-65 mins would have given them something to think about. And what’s happening with Cullen??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

No overreaction. I’m not calling for the managers head or for the players to be strung up in the middle of Burslem. I’m calling it how it is....a poor result. 

Out of interest how do you rank results, Grimsby was a poor result. Newport have already beaten Crewe and Plymouth 1-0  at home but they are higher than us in the league, so a not unexpected result, even promotion teams lose away. Learn from a hard fought game which could easily have been a draw and move on..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 07/09/2019 at 18:21, Fosse69 said:

Out of interest how do you rank results, Grimsby was a poor result. Newport have already beaten Crewe and Plymouth 1-0  at home but they are higher than us in the league, so a not unexpected result, even promotion teams lose away. Learn from a hard fought game which could easily have been a draw and move on..

Win = good

Draw = ok

Loss = poor

By the looks of it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

That said, I’m starting to agree with other posters that Askey leaves his subs too late. Might not have made any difference today but Archer on after 60-65 mins would have given them something to think about. And what’s happening with Cullen??

I think the problem is more the management team don't have a plan b or c yet. We have lot of options upfront but very limited in midfield in particular with Manny injured. To me this is the issue.

Hope Archer injury is not too serious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

Out of interest how do you rank results, Grimsby was a poor result. Newport have already beaten Crewe and Plymouth 1-0  at home but they are higher than us in the league, so a not unexpected result, even promotion teams lose away. Learn from a hard fought game which could easily have been a draw and move on..

I think its irrelevant results against other sides. Our good results are simple... win at home draw away = playoffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MBE said:

I think the problem is more the management team don't have a plan b or c yet. We have lot of options upfront but very limited in midfield in particular with Manny injured. To me this is the issue.

Hope Archer injury is not too serious.

I think that’s the source of the frustration. Lots of options on the bench, 9 of the starters were part of the dismal failures of the past 2 years, a midfield that is simply not effective enough but isn’t changed, another late goal costs us points in a game we’ve apparently done enough to take something from. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/09/2019 at 18:40, Biddulph_PV said:

I think that’s the source of the frustration. Lots of options on the bench, 9 of the starters were part of the dismal failures of the past 2 years, a midfield that is simply not effective enough but isn’t changed, another late goal costs us points in a game we’ve apparently done enough to take something from. 

Or it’s a new system getting far far better performances out the players from last year (Worrall and Gibbons are like new signings under Askey)

Im not sure if you watched the game given your comment of us “apparently” not doing enough... but we gave them a good game and limited a team on an incredible run to very little.

I agree we are short a dynamite midfielder which would help us kick on... but this is the slow and steady improvement we have  been crying out for. This midfield was more than matching the team second in the league for the majority of the 2nd half when we bucked our ideas up.

Todays result was far more unlucky than poor and this team is far better equipped and prepared than last season.

We have just entered a period of 5 increasingly tough games, results, if any won’t be easy... calm heads are called for. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, whotobeakiller said:

Midfield is the problem area

Would not disagree. But the other problem is we don't score, seems like a reasonable performance today but as soon as we go 1 down we are goosed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Would not disagree. But the other problem is we don't score, seems like a reasonable performance today but as soon as we go 1 down we are goosed.

Today is the first time we’ve failed to score this season
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tommytunstall said:

Would not disagree. But the other problem is we don't score, seems like a reasonable performance today but as soon as we go 1 down we are goosed.

Sums it up really, numerous games we’ve not taken decent chances when we’ve created them.

Against a side like Newport on their own patch good chances are going to be few and far between so if we get say a one on one or a free header we must do better, but where we are at present we don’t have many natural goal scorers throughout the team, hence these chances are spurned.

As many have said, we’re very much a work in progress. Hopefully we can keep improving the players we currently have and maybe add one or two in the next window.

Fingers crossed for Archer.🤞🏻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, MBE said:

I think its irrelevant results against other sides. Our good results are simple... win at home draw away = playoffs.

92 points are promotion form,  wins away make up for losses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bit unlucky, Worrall fell asleep at a throw and got caught out which is annoying but we played well enough.

Missed a few decent chances, Worrall and Legge notably. Referee was poor did Bennett every time even when he was being fouled and the penalty looked more a foul on Smith!

Another game Brown has had virtually nothing to do but we seem to be punished for most errors.

Need to beat Plymouth to get back on track but pleased enough with the performance levels especially second half.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy