Jump to content
Fosse69

Match Thread: Newport County v Port Vale

Recommended Posts

Tough game so far, and more to come this month, but with a come-back win behind us why not be cheerful. New players gradually blending in and showing promise, especially with our Archer on target. More choices and set-ups, wins boost confidence why not a draw, even a win at unbeaten Newport?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Newport have gone sixteen league games unbeaten so are obviously a good outfit.. The optimist in me says that run has to end sometime but the realist, and that's as optimistic as a Vale fan gets, says I'll take a point now thank you very much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think most would take a point here, but a win would be fantastic. When is Manny due back? The sooner we get our strongest 11 back, the better really, as September is going to be very difficult.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote
3 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Think most would take a point here, but a win would be fantastic. When is Manny due back? The sooner we get our strongest 11 back, the better really, as September is going to be very difficult.

 

Hopefully soon, unfortunately we may have to treat him as a squad player, but the most important one unless his proneness to injury declines, hope I am wrong but 30/50% appearances would pay his wages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last night has opened up many more possibilities than I had thought were available.

We appear to now have four strikers, four wingers, as well as enough decent midfielders and defenders.

Options.

So teams can't set up to stop Pope anymore, because they don't know who will be playing. Moreover, we have four very different styles, so we can change it around if necessary.

This is already light years ahead of the last few seasons.

I'm actually beginning to get slightly excited. Wired.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, SFBT said:

Last night has opened up many more possibilities than I had thought were available.

We appear to now have four strikers, four wingers, as well as enough decent midfielders and defenders.

Options.

So teams can't set up to stop Pope anymore, because they don't know who will be playing. Moreover, we have four very different styles, so we can change it around if necessary.

This is already light years ahead of the last few seasons.

I'm actually beginning to get slightly excited. Wired.

I'm excited but I'd also be happy with 2 points from our next 4 games; Newport, Plymouth, Exeter and Mansfield is as tough as it comes in this league. 6 points or more and I think we'll have done really well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I too think we are now an outfit that opponents cannot read. We have been so predictable allowing teams to counter us easily. Now we have healthy competition for places most opponents cant predict who we have in the team nor how we are set up. Methinks good time.es again are just around the corner. Come on Vale trams are there to be beaten.

Last night has opened up many more possibilities than I had thought were available.
We appear to now have four strikers, four wingers, as well as enough decent midfielders and defenders.
Options.
So teams can't set up to stop Pope anymore, because they don't know who will be playing. Moreover, we have four very different styles, so we can change it around if necessary.
This is already light years ahead of the last few seasons.
I'm actually beginning to get slightly excited. Wired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JRC said:

I'm excited but I'd also be happy with 2 points from our next 4 games; Newport, Plymouth, Exeter and Mansfield is as tough as it comes in this league. 6 points or more and I think we'll have done really well.

Incredible run of fixtures.

Good test of our progress.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think last night has thrown up a few question marks. I’m sure he’ll start with bennett on Saturday, but should Evans come in to the midfield, drop Monty and put Worrall on the right with amoo on the left?

Edited by PV1973

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

I think last night has thrown up a few question marks. I’m sure he’ll start with bennett on Saturday, but should Evans come in to the midfield, drop Monty and put Worrall on the right with amoo on the left?

Not for me that leaves us with 3 essentially similar central midfield players. Worrall can spot a pass in either position. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, inner sanctum said:

So Innis will still be playing against us on Saturday then.

 

Maybe. He was sub tonight.

Howkins played the whole game.

Going from 4-1 at half time to 4-5 at full time won't do their confidence much good. 🤓

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also good for us is Abrahams pulling his hamstring last night, their new striker they bought from Norwich. Played in every game this season & a few assists, until now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, SFBT said:

Maybe. He was sub tonight.

Howkins played the whole game.

Going from 4-1 at half time to 4-5 at full time won't do their confidence much good. 🤓

Knowing Vale's luck it'll probably go the other way and give them a wake up call for Saturday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, PV1973 said:

I think last night has thrown up a few question marks. I’m sure he’ll start with bennett on Saturday, but should Evans come in to the midfield, drop Monty and put Worrall on the right with amoo on the left?

I think he will keep faith with Bennett for this game, but Archer will be knocking on the door very quickly. From listening to Askey’s interviews, he seems exactly the type of Striker he was looking for. Powerful (6.3 and apparently decent in the air) and has pace to burn to get behind defenders.

I also get the feeling he rates Jake Taylor highly, and will be looking to get him in the starting 11. 

The team I think he will pick on Saturday:

Brown

Gibbons Smith Legge Crookes

Taylor    Joyce   Conlon

Worrall   Bennett  Amoo

Or he could stick with Monty and drop Worrall back into midfield again. 

Thoughts? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its a tricky one as Amoo has played his best stuff as a right winger... and accommodating Worrall out wide means shifting him to the left.

Could we see a Scenario where Bennett plays out left with Archer through the middle towards the end of the game? I far prefer Bennett through the middle but he was used out wide in Pre Season.

Isnt it nice to have a squad where this is the problem rather than the fact that we have no options!!

You can start to see what Askey is building and certain players have certain roles...

Cullen for example, IF we do need to move to a 442 in a certain game then Cullen works well there, or can fit at the number 10 in the 4231 formation. Pope, despite looking less likely to start will be vital in games where we need to calm things down and make it stick up top. Archer adds LOTS of options and is certainly the style of forward that Askey kept describing as his preference.

The joys of having a squad picked by just the manager purely for the benefit of the team!

Edited by Iron Curtain
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy