Jacob_123

Retained list

Agree with all of this , if you have only been Watching vale for the last 3 years then I can understand people thinking Hannant is a strange decision being released but honestly he is a poor player

3 years is just long enough to have his alleged replacement prior to his move to Chester 😉

Where's this reductive view come from that 'Lloyd is replacing Hannant?'

I've seen it numerous times on here and OVF.

They're different players.

Lloyd will be nothing more than a cheap squad player the manager trusts; every good team in the land has one or two.

The logic that Lloyd being the first incoming (probably as he's been the easiest to sign) is a 'statement of intent' is absolutely ludicrous. He's a cheap signing. The paperwork probably takes 20 minutes. The season we went up our first signing was Darren Murphy. Exactly.

Calm yourselves down. Lloyd is not replacing Hannant. We've shipped out a lot of dross today, and tried to extend the deals of our better players. Much more positive.

A reminder that, a good of a lad he is, Dior Angus scored 2 in 11 at Barrow this season (injury-affected, I know), and has hit double figures once in his career; the season we signed him from 7th tier Redditch.

He's 25. Good luck to him, and he'll carve out a good career in non-league I imagine. However, we need to escape this rut of accepting mediocrity. Lean squad of proper players.

are you suggesting that they should be sacked?

Careful!

I am suggesting that a reasonable person who was informed of the rumours going around very openly, some of those rumours being more or less direct accusations, combined with Askey's angry interview about unprecedented behaviour, would on the balance of probability probably form the view that they might not be invited to stay.

Careful!

I am suggesting that a reasonable person who was informed of the rumours going around very openly, some of those rumours being more or less direct accusations, combined with Askey's angry interview about unprecedented behaviour, would on the balance of probability probably form the view that they might not be invited to stay.

Some of those still under contract will move on Doha me owd fruit that's for sure

Some of those still under contract will move on Doha me owd fruit that's for sure

Good

Send the buggers back

You defend the (unfortunately probable) signing of Lloyd, and then in your very next post state....

we need to escape this rut of accepting mediocrity. Lean squad of proper players.

And that's exactly my, and others', point about signing Lloyd - with a reduced squad, every player (excepting those young players that are only just turning Pro and not quite ready yet) should be capable of coming in and making an impact, and Lloyd won't IMO. He's neither a signing for the future nor one that's up to the required level to be even half-decent in this league.

Lloyd would be a poor, and lazy, signing - and the same also applies to Crookes, who's proven that he's not the decent left-back that we require - especially when we seemingly have a promising left-back for the future that could do with learning the position from an experienced 1st choice ahead of him.

Every one of Askey's signings should be above mediocrity and be "proper players", as you correctly stated.

Don't understand why anyone is advocating Gibbo leaving - to me looks like this can be his level just needs to improve his positioning and crossing. He's got heart and commitment which is a good place to start.

Miller on the other hand absolutely should be given every opportunity to find another. club who will take on his wages.

Happy with the list so glad about Hannant the guy was useless.. maybe Bolton will sign him now.

Hopefully Worrall signs then we have a good base to start the rebuild.Still not bothered about Manny don't think he's a player to be relied upon over a season which you need with a"quality over quantity".

Absolutely amazed (and a bit saddened) to see Dior Angus go. Goodness we're short of anyone (other than Tom Pope) to score goals. This lad has scored for every club he's been loaned out to and from all reports was a model professional at each of these clubs. He's only young, a natural goalscorer and one IM (humble)O that we should have kept for future development. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes on to another league club, scores goals and becomes a valuable property! Does anyone else agree that he was worth a punt?

3 games, 1 goal. He is 25. Quite prolific 2-3 divisions down. Less so at National League level. Sometimes players arrive late and do well. Vardy and Wright are examples. But Gary Neville's view is that players from mid twenties onward don't improve. I guess the issue might be we are trying to sign a proven goal scorer and need squad space and budget. That will probably cost £3-4k a week.

Edited by Warren

Well, they've gone so there's not much point in shedding too many tears over the odd one or two who might have made a good contribution next season. Arthur certainly has his work cut out so, first things first, let's hope he gets his own contract sorted so he can make a start.

We only have 10 players under contract with a few more still to be decided, so finding a similar number who are going to gel into a team and make us a force to be reckoned with, is going to be no easy task. It looks as if he has already been making tentative enquiries but he has a lot more to do. In his favour is the budget, about the tenth biggest last season, which will not be spread so thinly. New owners, increased season ticket sales and our newly found optimism for the future are also going to count but it will be the length of contract on offer and size of wage packet that will count for potential new players. At least you have decent owners behind you.

So good luck, Arthur, we look forward to an exciting, optimistic close season. Please, after the last three seasons, let's have a decent squad so at least we can make some headway up the table. That's all we're asking!

Yes agree we need a group of players that work hard for each other and blend as team, Askey will hopefully get that right, we the supporters can help by keeping positive and get behind the team, because I feel collectively, the player manager supporters Carol & Kevin as a group together and plenty of positively we can have a better season on and off the pitch, looking forward to the new season with optimism, keep believing, up the Vale

Only surprise for me is Hannant, although a tad lacking in quality of final pass/cross and a good trick he made up by being a hard worker, thought he would have been kept on as a squad player.

Hope Vale sign Oyeleke, best midfielder Vale have by a country mile when fit.

Another decent striker? Who's the first one?
The one who that is our 3rd highest goalscorer ever. The disrespect of Tom Pope by a small number on here holds no bounds.

If we had decent wingers, Hannant wouldn't make the first 11. If he is one of the high earners then we were right to get rid.

Now let's hope we get some decent wingers

Very happy with the retained list. Hope to see Manny Wozza and Legge resign up alongside Hornby agreeing a contract.

I'm not into rumours but if Askey wants to move on some players from the squad who are contracted then I trust in his decision.

Disappointed to see Vassell go, I thought he had a decent offensive side to his game.
Agreed, but defensively he got caught out a number of times and I don't think was quite up to this standard.