onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Who should we sign?

leedsvaliant

The problem with Ryan Lloyd.

He’s 25. He’s had 4 contracts with us, over 7 years, under many managers and never made it.

He then went to non league and didn’t really pull up any trees.

At Macclesfield he played under John and scored 4 goals in their promotion season.

In league 2 he started but then went out of favour under Sol Campbell. They almost got relegated and released him.

Now, the lads in his mid 20s and hasn’t kicked on.

If this was a player who wasn’t connected with us in the past, it wouldn’t be a problem. But it becomes one because we’ve seen him play. He’s not really very good. I know that’s harsh but he isn’t going to improve what we have. BUT we have to trust Askey. We have no choice.

So assemble your squad John (keep in mind he wants Crookes who I think is woeful) the fans will back you but don’t say you weren’t warned if it goes **** up.

He’s playing a dangerous game in signing Lloyd because if he fails and becomes a waste of a wage then there is no chairman/owner who will be taking the flak if results go bad.

On his head be it.

We just have to hope he can get a tune out of a player who nobody really wants back, simply because he is non league standard.

Negativity can't wait to pounce like a vulture hoping for failure so you can say I told you so, all I want is steady progress small steps on and of the pitch. Please keep positive and keep believing

Advert

I think Vale will be a difficult sell to potential players after all the negativity generated by the former owner. We know Carol and Kevin are nothing like him but the rest of the football village doesn't.

Under Smurthwaite Vale players got paid every week. You can’t say that for some clubs.

K&C will also make sure they are paid. This will perhaps become a major plus for players looking for new clubs.

He might be bad. He might not...What's the worst case? He's a cheap, rarely used squad player the manager likes. That is, the literal, worst case scenario

The point is that we are supposedly going with a smaller squad of approximately 20-22 (outfield) players, so while it is unlikely that Lloyd will be a regular starter, there's every chance that he'll be on the bench most games.

With such a smaller squad, we'll need players that are able to come in and make an impact when required.

As I stated on another thread, if we need a goal or a spark in a game I know who I would prefer to be coming off the bench if it was between a choice of Ben Whitfield or Ryan Lloyd.

We should be starting with recruiting some interesting signings that the fans would be happy to see in the starting 11. Builds morale, attracts other players, sets out new era, generates excitement, etc.

It's a better idea to give higher wages to better players than spread out wages on cheaper but worse options.

I genuinely think the core of the squad is ok given where we are, and contains a lot of players that will get better when they play alongside better quality.

Please Askey, sign 4 or 5 decent top 3rd L2 players rather than signing 8 or 9 deadweights that sit on the bench and offer nothing.

I can literally only remember one game Lloyd played in, and he played very well.

Walsall away in the whatever it was called then cup.

His CV doesn't scream out sign me .

He is fast catching up Dodds as the most used word on this forum.

We should be starting with recruiting some interesting signings that the fans would be happy to see in the starting 11. Builds morale, attracts other players, sets out new era, generates excitement, etc.

It's a better idea to give higher wages to better players than spread out wages on cheaper but worse options.

I genuinely think the core of the squad is ok given where we are, and contains a lot of players that will get better when they play alongside better quality.

Please Askey, sign 4 or 5 decent top 3rd L2 players rather than signing 8 or 9 deadweights that sit on the bench and offer nothing.

Simple! I wonder why John didn't think of that himself.... I think we have been asking but players are asking too much money judging by the comments made in the Sentinel about holding his nerve.

Simple! I wonder why John didn't think of that himself....

I don't know if that's sarcastic or not.

If it isn't - thanks.

If it is - deliberately misinterpreted, thanks.

Archived