onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Who should we sign?

leedsvaliant

6 hours ago, Erniemossrules said:

Sam Foley training at the Vale now on trial at Newport County who will probably sign him and can afford him.

Only 32 (suppose IC will say he,s too old) but played 40 games last season and still has 12 months at least left in him.

Askey had him on a plate and we could use a box to box grafter like Foley especially with Manny,s fitness issues.

Oh forgot he hasn’t played for Macc Reserves.

Ernie, if you dropped all that Macc reserves rubbish, then your posts would improve and not draw as much flak. I get that you have the Vale at heart, but it comes out all wrong.

Advert

7 hours ago, Erniemossrules said:

Sam Foley training at the Vale now on trial at Newport County who will probably sign him and can afford him.

Only 32 (suppose IC will say he,s too old) but played 40 games last season and still has 12 months at least left in him.

Askey had him on a plate and we could use a box to box grafter like Foley especially with Manny,s fitness issues.

Oh forgot he hasn’t played for Macc Reserves.

I wouldn’t actually have minded Sam Foley as an option in midfield.

It would be lovely to have a sensible debate around his merits: 

1. Whether at his age he has the engine to play Askeys high pressure, cover every blade style.

2. Could we afford him vs Newport.

3. If he was training with us, how was he not an a single photo from any sessions or at any of the friendliest. 

4. Where and who in our current midfield he would have played best with.

i love all those discussions and this is my favourite part of any season...

Alas, some people are so caught up in their own self that those conversations are reduced to Donald Trump style stupid phrases that demonstrate a lack of ability to have a proper debate!

Stop worrying what I think Ern, stop repeating the same tripe over and over and over and have a normal, logical debate... that way you might not be the laughing stock of ovf. I have said before, that’s not because of your opinions, just the way you get them across.

1 hour ago, JRC said:

I liked Foley. A lot of what you say is opinion dressed up as fact. I'm not aware the club has ever said Foley was on trial but there have been rumours he was. I'm pretty certain he didn't play as many as 40 games last season although I'm currently in China so can't access Wikipedia, I think he played 34 times because I remember reading the article about his release from Northampton when I was last in the UK.

You don't know Askey had him on a plate. You have no idea what his wage demands were. Whether he was prepared to relocate as part of the reason he left was to be closer to his partner and baby. You also don't know whether medical checks were done and made a deal a non starter.

Your opinion is he has 12 months left in him but a lot of players drop out of the league at that age. Some players have started to slow down at 32. I suspect you are right but I don't know.

Your final comment is just a purile and rather dull repetition of your usual comment. First time out of the box it had an impact. It just makes you appear as quite a negative individual who thinks if you carry on repeating the same thing over and over people will eventually agree with you.

Foley was 100% training at Vale, I spoke to him myself as I was doing volunteer work. 

There would be no relocation as he lives at Wychwood Park so Vale or a North West club would be ideal for him. 

I'm not raking over the signings as Askey is far more astute than all of us on here but from the outside he'd of maybe done a job for a year. Didn't impress me at Northampton in March where he was pretty anonymous, but always had an eye for goal , albeit 3 years ago in League one. 

Looks like he's not an option anyway now so hopefully he gets fixed up somewhere. 

With regards to comments on Rawlinson by people I have to be on the same side as those who think he is adequate as cover at CH. Absolutely hung out to dry at RB by Aspin where he was dreadful. Doesn't worry me if he stays as a squad member.

I'm personally not convinced about Conlon. Seems a shoe in for a starting place, hopefully a rigorous pre season has toughened him up. Very weak player who often ran out of gas last season , again I'll trust Askey over my opinion.

My only nagging concern/ doubt over our business this summer is that probably only one or maybe two at a push will be in the starting team. Which is slightly concerning as whatever the merits of individuals we struggled with the same personnel last season. 

I think Foley would have been a more than useful addition to our midfield ranks but maybe we have to unload one or two before we can get a player like him in now. A solid 100% pro, the type you'd want to have by your side in a football team.

On 08/05/2019 at 21:32, Erniemossrules said:

Sam Foley is 32 and Chris Lines 33 Billy Clarke 31 so would rather see younger hungry players signed.

We all have the right to change our minds 😁

2 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Foley was 100% training at Vale, I spoke to him myself as I was doing volunteer work. 

There would be no relocation as he lives at Wychwood Park so Vale or a North West club would be ideal for him. 

I'm not raking over the signings as Askey is far more astute than all of us on here but from the outside he'd of maybe done a job for a year. Didn't impress me at Northampton in March where he was pretty anonymous, but always had an eye for goal , albeit 3 years ago in League one. 

Looks like he's not an option anyway now so hopefully he gets fixed up somewhere. 

With regards to comments on Rawlinson by people I have to be on the same side as those who think he is adequate as cover at CH. Absolutely hung out to dry at RB by Aspin where he was dreadful. Doesn't worry me if he stays as a squad member.

I'm personally not convinced about Conlon. Seems a shoe in for a starting place, hopefully a rigorous pre season has toughened him up. Very weak player who often ran out of gas last season , again I'll trust Askey over my opinion.

My only nagging concern/ doubt over our business this summer is that probably only one or maybe two at a push will be in the starting team. Which is slightly concerning as whatever the merits of individuals we struggled with the same personnel last season. 

The only area where we struggled last season was in goalscoring, which I think has been addressed, as have the other positions that were covered by loanees. I'm not too concerned although the proof of the pudding is still in the eating. 

3 hours ago, mikey said:

Ernie, if you dropped all that Macc reserves rubbish, then your posts would improve and not draw as much flak. I get that you have the Vale at heart, but it comes out all wrong.

Vale at heart !!!   hes the only Vale fan I know who (constantly) slags off his own players , and manager. 

58 minutes ago, Heatwave said:

The only area where we struggled last season was in goalscoring, which I think has been addressed, as have the other positions that were covered by loanees. I'm not too concerned although the proof of the pudding is still in the eating. 

Actually we struggled in midfield when Manny was out resorting to playing Kay and Joyce together who were both pedestrian.

To be fair I thought Joyce played his best game for Vale against Burnley .

Archived