onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Who should we sign?

leedsvaliant

13 minutes ago, Erniemossrules said:

Read the Macclesfield forum.

The Macc fans all thought Durrell would follow The Messiah to Port Vale But we got Lloyd instead.

Of course Macclesfield fans think he's the messiah. He got them promoted when the players weren't being paid! Vale fans appear to be pretty cautious on this score. He's got a fair bit to prove before we get to that stage.

Advert

6 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Not quite sure why there seems to be so much ill feeling on here towards Whitfield, who always struck me as a decent option in attack, a good link up player with an eye for the odd goal.  Inconsistent, OK fair enough, but he’s a relatively young player plying his trade in the fourth tier so inconsistent is par for the course.  Also where’s all this talk of him having a bad attitude come from? Has anyone specifically named Whitfield, or have fans put two and two together and got five?

I’d happily see him warming our bench, coming on as an impact player, but it’s most likely about finance.  Askey probably sees him as being too expensive in that roll.

Some mention has been made of Hurst but we know very little about him so to prefer Hurst to Whitfield is ludicrous.

I have heard from many people that when Askey refers to players acting unprofessionally last season, Whitfield is one of the players he is referring to. At least two of the players that left in the summer would also be covered under the term 'unprofessional'.

5 hours ago, JRC said:

In all probability you are right I know the rumour doing the rounds is they've paid nobody for 3 months. If it's true I still think he pulled the plug after talking to Askey, foolish to jump from a sinking ship before you see a liferaft.

Their owner Amar is blaming the players who have taken him to court for non payment of wages for putting the club under the threat of administration.

He seems to make even Smurthwaite look an Angel.

Surprising that the league is allowing them to sign players when they still haven’t paid the players.

7 hours ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

What are your thoughts about Manny playing DM to accommodate Worrall on the right side of the midfield three?

Probably wasting his bursting runs, but it would certainly give us a physical presence in that central role and also frees up a spot for Cullen /Benett or another quick winger (if we bring one in)

We'd miss his forward runs, but Worral gives us that. Would add more physical strength in front of the back 4. Might help reduce his injuries as they do seem to occur sometimes when he tries to burst past players. Could certainly do the job.

10 hours ago, stupers said:

I think Whitfield has to go. For all the quality he has shown at times his attitude is poor and is incredibly inconsistent. Sometimes players just don't fit with a manager and you move them on. If you are looking for a squad that is greater than the sum of its parts, then you need everyone working hard and pulling in the same direction. From what I see, Whitfield doesn't fit in to what Askey is trying to do so you get rid.

As for Rawlinson, I am no big fan (And he certainly isn't a right back as someone suggested earlier in the thread - There's a difference between having played right-back, and actually being competent in the position to play there) but, I would imagine his attitude is pretty spot on. He's come from the Welsh league and been given a chance to make a decent professional career from football. He genuinely looked happy to be here last year, even with all the other stuff going on. I would say if Askey's thinking about keeping him on, then it'll be down to that. I think to be anything other than a backup for us though, his decision-making and distribution need to improve considerably.

I'll admit that I have had concerns about some of our recruitment this summer. On top of what we've done, I would have liked us to bring in another centre-back as I'm not convinced Legge is going to be on top form for the whole of next season. But the first eleven looks good aside from that, and we've got a couple of decent backups in place even if we head in to the unknown should we pick an injury up in defence. There was a lot of problems with the squads put together in previous seasons, and trying to bring in half a squad is an extremely difficult proposition particularly when off the field moves were being made after the season ended. It's a summer of readjustment and getting us ready for a proper push next season in my opinion. However I do think we have goals in the team, and if we can stay as solid at the back as we did for the majority of last year then we might surprise a few people and finish around 10th. More likely a finish around 14th I would expect. Quite a few clubs expected to finish in the bottom third would walk over hot coals to have Pope, Cullen and Amoo to pick from so I am optimistic that we won't be dragged in to any trouble this time around.

Judging how Gibson, an expensive ball playing centrehalf, did against Pope I'd take Rawlinson against a James Hanson every day of the week. I think you're right his decision making needs to improve at times. Someone who can compete with a Pope or Hanson and who has good distribution would be playing higher than league 2. Most teams have at least one big lump up front and one centrehalf has got to have the height and bravery to make life difficult. McCombe and big Clayton couldn't pass 5 yards but McCombe particularly was a big player for us at this level, mainly because he was happy to compete.

8 hours ago, PV1973 said:

I think having Conlon on the left of that midfield 3 gives us more balance. If Manny is fit then I’d prefer to see Conlon Joyce and Manny, with Joyce sitting which gives Manny and Conlon licence to get about a bit more. That then frees up Worrall and Amoo to play on the wings. Amoo on his day take a full back to the cleaners and no doubt teams will double up on him, if we’re clever enough and move the ball quickly enough that could see space open up elsewhere. Worralls industry and quality is too good to go to waste playing deeper in that midfield 3, I also think he and a Gibbons have a great partnership on the right hand side too. 

The problem comes with Manny being injured, I think that’s why he’s taking a look at worrall in there. Just in case Manny isn’t fit enough to start the season. 

If you leave aside Worral up front we have Pope, Bennett, Cullen, Montano, Amoo and in all probability Browne competing for 3 positions. I don't know the answer but is Worral plus 2 of those 6 a better combination than another permutation of 3 of those 6. If Worral plus another 2 is best no problem. If it isn't I think Worral is a shoo in on the right of a midfield 3. Askey likes a left footed player on the left of his midfield and it adds balance, so probably Conlon. Oyeleke is just a better player than Joyce, so has to play.

1 hour ago, JRC said:

If you leave aside Worral up front we have Pope, Bennett, Cullen, Montano, Amoo and in all probability Browne competing for 3 positions. I don't know the answer but is Worral plus 2 of those 6 a better combination than another permutation of 3 of those 6. If Worral plus another 2 is best no problem. If it isn't I think Worral is a shoo in on the right of a midfield 3. Askey likes a left footed player on the left of his midfield and it adds balance, so probably Conlon. Oyeleke is just a better player than Joyce, so has to play.

When Manny is fit he’ll play I’m sure. But is Oyeleke disciplined enough  to play the holding midfield role in front of the back 4? Let’s say he played there instead of Joyce would we be shackling him a bit too much? When they’re all fit I think it will be Conlon, Joyce and Manny as the preferred midfield 3.

As has been said, last year we had a top half defence and a bottom of the league front line.

Askey has spent the majority of his weakened budget on first team forward players. If the defence can solidify and build on last year's good work, and Amoo and Cullen hit the ground running, there's no reason why we can't have a decent mid table finish this season.

There was clear issues in the changing room last year, with players like hannant Whitfield Miller and Rawlinson being moved or transfer listed because of this. Hopefully now Askey has the men he trusts in the team, we will have a closer knit team without the off the field drama to distract them.

10 hours ago, Erniemossrules said:

The problem is the truth hurts.

Instead of moaning why don’t you come up with some constructive arguments .

Not everybody thinks everything is rosy in the garden and things are an improvement.

Obviously  the Shanahans have paid over the odds for the club and Askey is not being very clever with his signings with the budget he has been given.

I must admit Bennett,Amoo and Cullen are better than we had last season but the rest are no better than what we had last year.

The problem is a few injuries and we will badly weaken the team and really haven’t got any game changers to bring on when we are losing.

If you think Askey is The Messiah so be it everyone has a cross to bear.

Accept that some people don’t agree.

The fundamental lack of understanding of what’s going on demonstrated in this post is both scary, and completely as expected! 

We wouldn’t have been able to afford Cullen, Amoo and Bennett without balancing the budget with some cheaper players.

When choosing those cheaper players we have the choice of going for unknown, young players who are a complete gamble... or players the manager knows will play in his system, are happy to play backup and won’t cause trouble off the pitch.

This has been mentioned hundreds of times... you have no answer. 

When asked who we should sign instead you came up with 37 year old “goal machine” Nathan Tyson and Charlie Adam who has signed for Reading!! 

Add that to your view that Tongue and Pugh were wingers and Its PAINFULLY clear you don’t have a clue what’s going on... all you have on your side is a relentless ability to bang your incorrect drum over and over and over and over and over.

I would ignore you, but other people casually drop onto this website to read opinions on Port Vale... on every forum there is one loon who everyone laughs at and comes across like a tool... its useful for any opposition fans reading OVF to know you, the “Main Moaner”, are ours!

19 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

The fundamental lack of understanding of what’s going on demonstrated in this post is both scary, and completely as expected! 

We wouldn’t have been able to afford Cullen, Amoo and Bennett without balancing the budget with some cheaper players.

When choosing those cheaper players we have the choice of going for unknown, young players who are a complete gamble... or players the manager knows will play in his system, are happy to play backup and won’t cause trouble off the pitch.

When asked who we should sign instead you came up with 37 year old “goal machine” Nathan Tyson and Charlie Adam who has signed for Reading!! 

Add that to your view that Tongue and Pugh were wingers and Its PAINFULLY clear you don’t have a clue what’s going on... all you have on your side is a relentless ability to bang your incorrect drum over and over and over and over and over.

I would ignore you, but other people casually drop onto this website to read opinions on Port Vale... on every forum there is one loon who everyone laughs at and comes across like a tool... its useful for any opposition fans reading OVF to know you, the “Main Moaner”, are ours!

Nice to see you are using your one brain cell to distort what  I said about Tonge and Pugh.

The quote was that Tonge and Pugh could play the same position as Dodds which they could.

Also one of the sheep stated that Pugh had NEVER played on the wing.

This again was incorrect.Its a shame your memory loss is getting worse and you are struggling to discredit me with your wild accusations.

You are far better sitting down on your keyboard trying to design a better cartoon instead of dreaming up wild accusations you can’t support to follow up your silly comments.

You are really clutching at straws with your rants about Tonge and Pugh not being wingers.

The quote was that Tonge and Pugh could play in the same position as Dodds.

Which you have twisted to mean they are wingers.

Another of your pals said Pugh had NEVER played on the wing which again was incorrect.

If you are trying to discredit me at least make sure your silly quotes are true because you are making yourself look silly (which isn’t difficult)..

It is understandable that we need to bring in cheaper players to offset Cullen,Amoo and Bennett but I am sure there are better players around for the same price as the Macc Rejects bought in by Askey.

The majority of these are not good enough to play in the first team and are worse than players released

11 minutes ago, Erniemossrules said:

If you are trying to discredit me

No need Ern... you do a good enough job of that yourself! 

Read your own desperate, incoherent, flapping posts above waffling on tying to back-peddle from your “Tongue and Pugh cover the same position of Dodds”... they are a cracking example of how you make yourself sound daft with no help from anyone!

No need Ern... you do a good enough job of that yourself! 
Read your own desperate, incoherent, flapping posts above waffling on tying to back-peddle from your “Tongue and Pugh cover the same position of Dodds”... they are a cracking example of how you make yourself sound daft with no help from anyone!

Don’t forget apparently Campbell-Gordon is a right winger because he played there for 15 minutes in a friendly

1 hour ago, Iron Curtain said:

I am sure any casual visitor to OVF is really impressed with your infantile cartoons and witty comments.

Archived