onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread - Port Vale v Carlisle United

Fosse69

It was to stop a clearance down field which who knows could have led to a goal. By making it a throw-in instead would have given us the chance to box them in and win the ball back higher up the pitch.

That worked out well!

Advert

That worked out well!

Yes because the game has become a shadow of its former self. No two ways about it, he clearly won the ball that was there to be won. Their lad has feigned injury to get him sent off, and the pathetic ref fell for it.

Only criticism I've got of Miller yesterday is the two chances he cocked up. Blazing it over was shocking, as was his first touch when clean through taking him wide. He then had time walk in closer and pick his spot rather than passing it straight to the keeper. 2 really poor efforts.

Yes because the game has become a shadow of its former self. No two ways about it, he clearly won the ball that was there to be won. Their lad has feigned injury to get him sent off, and the pathetic ref fell for it.

Only criticism I've got of Miller yesterday is the two chances he cocked up. Blazing it over was shocking, as was his first touch when clean through taking him wide. He then had time walk in closer and pick his spot rather than passing it straight to the keeper. 2 really poor efforts.

What got miller sent off was the excessive force. That is football nowadays. The players know this. It’s his own fault for going in like that in the corner of the pitch where there was completely no point. Miller had a nightmare yesterday I thought. First time I’ve seen him where I really thought he wasnt close to this standard. The two subs look much more promising and I hope they both start the next game.

Anyone watch the Wombles v West Ham game last night? There was an almost identical challenge by a West Ham player who went into the tackle off his feet played the ball and completely cleared out the player with his follow through. Yellow card. So which ref was wrong??

What got miller sent off was the excessive force. That is football nowadays. The players know this. It’s his own fault for going in like that in the corner of the pitch where there was completely no point. Miller had a nightmare yesterday I thought. First time I’ve seen him where I really thought he wasnt close to this standard. The two subs look much more promising and I hope they both start the next game.

What's the difference between "reckless" (yellow card) and "excessive force" (red card)?

Your initial argument was that Aspin was not the man to generate the 35% win ration that we need to avoid relegation.

All I'm saying was that argument was flawed as you get points for draws as well as wins.

Now you seem to be changing your argument a little.

Like I said I'm not saying that things are great, far from it, and I had hoped for more than a carbon copy of last years dog fight this year but it looks as though that is where we are headed.

My concern as much as anything is who would we bring in, probably another internal appointment so once again no experience.

Not really. However you cut it - by looking at Aspin's win ratio (as good as any a proxy for a manager's ability to win points) or his points per game (particularly over the last three months), the result is the same: there's little or no evidence to suggest he's going to keep us up. You only have to listen to his and Scott Brown's interviews after the game to see that morale in the club is rock bottom. It's an obvious concern who Norman might bring in but we need to change because at the moment we are hurtling inexorably for the drop. We are not headed for a dog fight, we are in it, well and truly.

I was only watching on ifollow but my immediate instinct was the lad made a complete meal of what was a daft challenge.......I thought even some of their players were amazed when he was sent off. It was a daft tackle that didn't need to be made but it wasn't a red card. I played Club rugby for 25 years and if someone whacked you you did your best not to show how much it hurt.....that left back's jump in the air and scream would have made you think he's broken his ankle......he didn't seem too affected within the next 2 minutes. I detest that attitude.....it is not "professional gamesmanship" it is cheating in my book!

Just watched the replay. It was clearly a reckless tackle but excessive force? Never in a hundred years. Their player was uninjured and continued the rest of the game as if nothing had happened. He knew exactly what he was doing when he went down.

The effect of the decision to send him off may be very costly come the end of the season.

Just listened to his interview again last night. The mans a complete and utter joke.

He’s a broken man, even before the question about his job, he was very mumbling in his interview....

He didn’t sound very comfortable in answering the Whitfield question, I don’t know if he’s going to be out for 2 weeks...

He must go!

It was a red card from a tackle that was completely needless just a few yards from the corner flag. He left the ground and challenged two footed. He took the ball but also the man and could have easily broken their full backs leg. It was out of control. He was probably hot-headed because he knew he'd missed a sitter earlier.

As stated above, hopefully he'll learn from it.

In this day and age, with referees waving cards like an Italian traffic cops, no one can argue it was a stupid challenge, but it was no more than ten yards from me, and yes he left the ground, but only to poke his right leg at the ball which he clearly did, and when doing so he was on the floor and the slide took him into the player who then jumped over the challenge screaming like an extra from Saw 5.

At no stage were there two feet involved in winning the ball, and their skipper took the presented opportunity with aplomb, both gymnastically and with his accompanying sound track on the way down, and to me, regardless of the fact that as others have said there was absolutely no need to even challenge for it, the reaction still constitutes blatant cheating, examples of which seem to appear in every game these days and that's probably the saddest part.

He’s a broken man, even before the question about his job, he was very mumbling in his interview....

He didn’t sound very comfortable in answering the Whitfield question, I don’t know if he’s going to be out for 2 weeks...

He must go!

The interview he did for the club, almost made me cringe, Neil couldn't even look the interviewer in the eye, spent all three minutes looking at the ground. I actually felt extremely sorry for him watching it. However it is his team and his tactics that have got us to where we are, and as he himself keeps pointing out, it is a results business and his I am afraid..........................

In this day and age, with referees waving cards like an Italian traffic cops, no one can argue it was a stupid challenge, but it was no more than ten yards from me, and yes he left the ground, but only to poke his right leg at the ball which he clearly did, and when doing so he was on the floor and the slide took him into the player who then jumped over the challenge screaming like an extra from Saw 5.

At no stage were there two feet involved in winning the ball, and their skipper took the presented opportunity with aplomb, both gymnastically and with his accompanying sound track on the way down, and to me, regardless of the fact that as others have said there was absolutely no need to even challenge for it, the reaction still constitutes blatant cheating, examples of which seem to appear in every game these days and that's probably the saddest part.

One of their players had already been booked for diving prior to the Miller incident. They must practise it in training.

Not really. However you cut it - by looking at Aspin's win ratio (as good as any a proxy for a manager's ability to win points) or his points per game (particularly over the last three months), the result is the same: there's little or no evidence to suggest he's going to keep us up. You only have to listen to his and Scott Brown's interviews after the game to see that morale in the club is rock bottom. It's an obvious concern who Norman might bring in but we need to change because at the moment we are hurtling inexorably for the drop. We are not headed for a dog fight, we are in it, well and truly.

I'll try to keep this simple. You said that we need a 35% win ratio to stay up. We don't. No amount of dancing around the issue is going to make your statement any more correct. Can you agree to that?

Archived