Sign in to follow this  
RailwayRowdy

Andy Murray - Greatest British sportsman ?

As Murray has probably today played his last competitive match, my question is has there been a better British sportsman ?

His dedication to his chosen sport is in my opinion beyond reproach. His fitness levels are phenomenal.

In a team sport you can have fellow team members help you out. In tennis, you are on your own.

2 Wimbledon titles, 1 US, and final appearances in the other 2 Grand Slam events is a remarkable achievement.

In a snooty, middle class sport which traditionally puts everything in the way of aspiring working class hopefuls, his achievements are even more awe inspiring.

Congratulations Andy.

As Murray has probably today played his last competitive match, my question is has there been a better British sportsman ?

His dedication to his chosen sport is in my opinion beyond reproach. His fitness levels are phenomenal.

In a team sport you can have fellow team members help you out. In tennis, you are on your own.

2 Wimbledon titles, 1 US, and final appearances in the other 2 Grand Slam events is a remarkable achievement.

In a snooty, middle class sport which traditionally puts everything in the way of aspiring working class hopefuls, his achievements are even more awe inspiring.

Congratulations Andy.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2010/jan/31/andrew-murray-tennis-working-class

Sorry but he came from a middle class background...no surprise at all. The game is dominated by people with money- You will never see a working class kid from Burslem win a grand slam...and you can bet your bottom dollar on that

The sad thing is even football is getting the same

When Scotland had their referendum on leaving the union, he encouraged all Scots to vote leave.

Then he moans(and can he moan) about Scotland leaving the EU.

So going by that he just doesn't like the English people at all

So in return i dunna like him.... and i hope his hip knackers him as he limps to the cash point to draw some of his millions out to enjoy his early retirement

...forgot to say; greatest ever British sportsperson was George Littlewood from Eawmarsh

Look him up; truly awe inspiring - some of his records still stand

On his gravestone it says, 'In life as strong a s a lion, in death as meek as a lamb'

Points-with-Bone

Congratulations Andy.

Steve Redgrave?

It is impossible and undesirable to compare act is sports. Other greats include Redgrave, Farah, Holmes, Hutton, Matthews, Adlington, Hamilton. Andy Murray is the UKs greatest ever tennis player and his achievements are phenomenal. I salute his dedication and brilliance. When will we see your like again?

Andy Murray is a phenomenal sportsman but in the so called "Individual sports" I would add Nick Faldo and Nigel Benn to the list. Nigel Benn's win over Gerald Mclellan is the greatest performance of any British athlete I've ever seen, had it all courage, determination, skill and power, just so unfortunate the ending was so sad.

I read a biography of Max Woosnam who some claim is the greatest ever British sportsman. Fascinating guy. Murray's political views are not relevant to his sporting abilities.

Murray is clearly up there in the top 2-3 all time British sportsmen but as others have said it's impossible to compare different sports and across the generations.

However, achieving what he has in an individual sport, is remarkable. Regarding Wimbledon alone, we have to go back 70-80 years to find our last male champion, Fred Perry, apart from his many other titles.

It's also telling I think that Andy has played at the same time as three other all-time greats and has had to earn his victories the hard way.

Djokovic, Nadal and Federer are as tough as it gets.

Great, great sportsman. No question.

We should cherish him and I'm glad to say that I've been lucky enough to see him play several times at Wimbledon, the O2 and even Eastbourne. I know I won't see the likes of him again in my lifetime.

I rate Andy Murray very highly, because he is one of the few British athletes to change the landscape of his sport in these islands completely, and break new ground. We've had great boxers and world champions in the past, and some real giants of established sports. But tennis? We were a laughing stock globally for failing to produce a high quality player, despite having the best tennis tournament on the planet held here. I am of the generation that remembers British number 1 Buster Mottram failing to hit the court with a serve back in the day - that's how bad it was. Murray has made British tennis respectable, and achieved remarkable things. Don't give a toss about whether he is working class or middle class - we worry far too much about those labels in the UK, and the bottom line is that he is an inspirational figure to young people taking up tennis across the whole of the land. And he corrects chauvinistic commentators who try to laud his first Wimbledon victory as the first significant win by a British player by reminding them that Ann Jones in 1969 and Virginia Wade in 1977 won Wimbledon - so he takes no crap. Like the bloke a lot, and feel sad that he has been cut down by injury when perhaps he had a few more years left in him. Hope he finds happiness in the next chapter of his life.

Ron Hill was famous for his 'streak' - running at least once every day [fully clothed] for 19,032 days [52 years and 39 days] [He'll be 80 this March]

For this he had to run at least half a mile a day, which he once did with his leg in a plaster cast after an operation

He initially announced that the streak had ended due to heart problems, but in March of last year it became public knowledge that he'd been having problems with his short-term memory and had been given a formal diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease

Endurance based exercise [running, cycling, swimming, cross-country ski-ing etc.] can give some protection against cognitive decline with age, but it's increasingly becoming apparent that the biggest link to contracting Alzheimer's is diet

Points-with-Bone

Andy Murray has been very successful by any standards used. But he was still only the 4th best player in the world in his era. So I won't go over the top with him by trying to promote him to sainthood.