onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Time for Aspin to go and this is why

Mattholl

I have taken a day to calm down. OK. So v Colchester we conceded two wildly deflected goals and one where the scorer was left unmarked at the back post. In the end we had more shots and possession than Colchester and missed some good opportunities. But honestly after 20 minutes I thought we were going to get a real spanking. Colchester were miles better than us in both boxes and that is critical.

Going forward we don't have any meaningful structure. Still ball to Pope. When it goes wide Whitfield and Hannant have to take on the entire team alone. In midfield the ball is passed sideways and backwards or too many touches. We have no corner routines, no free kick routines, no throw in routines, nothing.

We are in a crash dive towards the relegation zone with other teams improving. But I believe we have better players than our league position and we are significantly under achieving. We are even losing touch with Crewe.

I am sorry to say I now think Aspin should go. I have given him all the chances I have in my willpower and he isn't producing viable game plans and he is getting terrible results.

Advert

The worrying thing for me is the gap beginning to open up after the bottom 6 sides. It’s 4 points now but in another 2/3 games the bottom 6 might be adrift and fighting it out for survival.

All it’s and buts I know but if Yeovil morecambe and Cambridge picked up wins Saturday we would be third off bottom.

We’re on a rapid drop to the bottom two as we simply cannot create and score goals and get wins. We are going to go this time I’m certain.

The club is rotten and will go down again next season as well.

Turn the lights off Norman you’ve won

Waiting for the last Hugill payment then you won’t see him for dust.

Unfortunately the cup run payments and Hugill windfall means he can keep milking the club.

You’re probably spot on. Soon as he gets the last payment he will start negotiating and get away from the club. He’s not bothered about the club one bit. That’s obvious. He doesn’t care if we go down or not as he won’t be here next season.

He’s an absolute scumbag

Whatever is happening at me loved Vale .

Losing to everybody in general .

Why is the manager bigging up every opposition team when its quite frankly a dreadful league .

The worst league in English football .

What is it with Vale over the last four years with constantly losing games very badly especially at home 0-4 Burton 0-5 Walsall a few years back a 2-6 1-4 0-3 0-4 this season already ,its horrendous and it keeps happening regularly .

Its very poor no matter who the manager ..

A total lack of respect to the fantastic supporters .

Improve players or be unemployable.

Smurf out the conductor of the demise

He was mentioned by someone I know as being lined up when Aspin was ready to resign on the Monday (but did a u-turn on the Thursday/Friday).

I was first told about Smurthwaite and Fuller back in October when somebody told me they saw them meeting in Wolstanton.

No experience, no badges? Sounds perfect

The worrying thing for me is the gap beginning to open up after the bottom 6 sides. It’s 4 points now but in another 2/3 games the bottom 6 might be adrift and fighting it out for survival.

All it’s and buts I know but if Yeovil morecambe and Cambridge picked up wins Saturday we would be third off bottom.

We’re on a rapid drop to the bottom two as we simply cannot create and score goals and get wins. We are going to go this time I’m certain.

The club is rotten and will go down again next season as well.

Turn the lights off Norman you’ve won

Agree with this bar for the last sentence.

He ain’t ******* won yet.

Football clubs attract 3 different types of managers:

1. Successful well known and experienced managers. unfortunately they aren't available much as they are still employed. No way would they come to Vale unless you gave them millions to spend and millions to earn.

2. Unsuccessful journeyman managers that never really achieve anything and probably make their living on the payouts from getting the sack. eg. Paul Lambert, Alan Pardew etc.

3. Inexperienced, untried ex players, coaches etc. Could go either way but you need to give them more time and patience than the others. They will make more mistakes but with the right support it can work.

Vale have done to death number 3. I don't see any point in getting number 2. It's just treading water. And there is no point in even thinking about number 1.

Either way the common thing they all need is investment and support from the board. At the moment it doesn't matter who is the manager of Port Vale. The results on the pitch mean nothing. Man of the match - pointless. Crying for Aspin to go is like putting a plaster on a massive wound.

Until NS is gone things will continue to decline. I've now reverted to the campaign when MOLD were in charge and shall not be attending another home match until NS is gone.

Football clubs attract 3 different types of managers:

1. Successful well known and experienced managers. unfortunately they aren't available much as they are still employed. No way would they come to Vale unless you gave them millions to spend and millions to earn.

2. Unsuccessful journeyman managers that never really achieve anything and probably make their living on the payouts from getting the sack. eg. Paul Lambert, Alan Pardew etc.

3. Inexperienced, untried ex players, coaches etc. Could go either way but you need to give them more time and patience than the others. They will make more mistakes but with the right support it can work.

Vale have done to death number 3. I don't see any point in getting number 2. It's just treading water. And there is no point in even thinking about number 1.

Either way the common thing they all need is investment and support from the board. At the moment it doesn't matter who is the manager of Port Vale. The results on the pitch mean nothing. Man of the match - pointless. Crying for Aspin to go is like putting a plaster on a massive wound.

Until NS is gone things will continue to decline. I've now reverted to the campaign when MOLD were in charge and shall not be attending another home match until NS is gone.

Agree completely.

This whole thread feels like an exercise in deflection and avoidance of the real issue.

Neil Aspin was a great defender but sad to say he is not a League 2 manager. Who says so , our form over the last 12 months and our current league position. We all knew Smurf wasn't going to spend 400k on new players. Surely only Smurf believed that one, but lets hope we have a new manager because we are on the crest of a slump and have our foot hard on the accelerator heading towards non league football.

Norman is not going to sell. Aspin is not going to be sacked. Aspin is not going to resign.

I think, like lots of others previously, we are going to have to find something else to do on a Saturday afternoon because Vale Park is so depressing now I think The Samaritans might need calling for.

The problem is, once fans find something else to do, they rarely return. I think the end is nigh.

This an abslutely critical time for Smurf and the club. We can all look back on the year and the stats speak for themselves and we can see how this season has gone with tactical and team choices. So its a huge decision to stick with Aspin and back him (or not) or do we get a new manager in and back him instead. This is our biggest January window ever IMO given what the consequences could be of having another poor window.

Personally I think Aspin has to go, the question is who will replace him. Smurf will never poach a successful manager from his current club and thereby have to pay compensation. So we are then looking at who is currently out of work and available. The $64,000 question is why are they out of work and the answer is usually they failed at their last club.

Perhaps a more positive angle can be obtained if we look at Nathan Jones at Sjoke. Just lets say that he fails miserably and come the Summer he gets the chop. Is he a bad manager or just a lower league manager who failed in the Championship. If we took one step back and looked at his time at Luton he was a success for them first in League 2 then League 1. Would you therefore appoint him as your manager if you were a lower league club , probably.

If we therefore apply this logic to the current crop of out of work failed managers then Paul Hurst works for me. Took Grimsby out of Non league into League 2 ( my Grimsby mate said he would have him back in a heart beat).Because of this success got poached by Shrewsbury who he kept in League 1 at our expense . This was again seen as good management so got poached by Ipswich in the Championship where he failed and hence his current unemployed status. Recent success in the lower leagues and possibly the man to firstly get us safe and then take us forward. Aspin has set the bar very low, is it 1 win in our last 11 league games and no home win since Bury in October. Who would you trust for the next 11 games. Would he come, who knows. Interesting that he did a degree at Staffs Uni.

Archived