onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Martin Smith

Woakesy

I can partly understand why young uns, 16 and under would be attracted to this match, from both sides. They'll have heard stories from their parents about the atmosphere of a potteries derby, and this is the closest we've come in a long time. I can forgive them to an extent. But people like Martin should know better. This competition, in it's original guise, has been very good to Stoke. It gave them some of their best memories, taking over 40,000 to wembley both times they won it. 10 years in the prem, and those memories seem to have been eradicated into a prawn sandwich brigade corporate upper class snobbish elite. To say that he's proud of Stoke fans, what for? They're a club that average over 25,000 playing 4 miles up the road. It's hardly a feat of similar to England fans making the trip to some of the most Eastern desolate parts of Russia. They're taking just shy of 20% of their current average home support, and yes they'd take more if given the tickets, ofcourse they would. But this is the checkatrade trophy, and it's been tainted by the ridiculous changes that undermine the whole point of a competition that has been so good to them over the years.

Shame on him, and shame on any Stoke fan that enjoyed those days at Wembley in 92 and 2000, that are so looking forward to attending this match. Sell outs.

Advert

Lets not guess into the future

Lets look at the fact.

Their last home game in this trophy was only 2 years ago

vs Bury with a crowd of 698 at the bet365

WOW Yes only 698 to watch their up and coming stars

some of which will still be playing in next weeks match

Yet they say they are coming to Vale Park for that reason only !!

I rang radio stoke and asked them to put this fact on air !

still waiting

No doubt in Stoke’s next home game in the Checkatrade, the attendance will be “announced” as 24,000. Not that I’m cynical of course.

His language is unacceptable, his manner and tone is inflammatory. The dictionary definition of mockery includes the words contemptuous language.

If I had the authority I would ban that person from Vale Park. His article says that Port Vale and their supporters are worthy of being the subject of contemptuous language.

It is an outrage that the Sentinel allowed that article to be published in that format and in particular with that heading. I believe that the Sentinel owes an apology to all Port Vale supporters for their poor judgement in allowing this to be published.

If Martin Smith wishes to use that language on his own unofficial website that is an entirely different matter. When he embarks on a compaign of mockery he must be prepared for a similar and strong retort.

I am half tempted to engage with him but then I realise that there is little point in seeking to have a battle of wits against someone as ill prepared as him.

His language is unacceptable, his manner and tone is inflammatory. The dictionary definition of mockery includes the words contemptuous language.

If I had the authority I would ban that person from Vale Park. His article says that Port Vale and their supporters are worthy of being the subject of contemptuous language.

It is an outrage that the Sentinel allowed that article to be published in that format and in particular with that heading. I believe that the Sentinel owes an apology to all Port Vale supporters for their poor judgement in allowing this to be published.

If Martin Smith wishes to use that language on his own unofficial website that is an entirely different matter. When he embarks on a compaign of mockery he must be prepared for a similar and strong retort.

I am half tempted to engage with him but then I realise that there is little point in seeking to have a battle of wits against someone as ill prepared as him.

I suppose from a press point of view it is welcome click bait, no matter how repulsive.

Maybe Mr Tideswell would like to comment.

I grew up watching both clubs. I don't consider Stoke fans less educated, fatter or more well kept than Port Vale supporters. Both sets of fans are from Stoke on Trent, a place deprived of well, anything.

I don't consider Stoke our rivals. They are well and truly in another league. I hope one day we can continue that rivalry however a game against their reserves is not an example of such.

Whoever this plonker is writing for a biased newspaper I couldn't care less of his opinion. He's entitled to it. Shame on The Sentinel for printing it. Theres no pride in gloating about their own success, I would however, concentrate on the fact next season they will be 20m down, loosing even more money and desperately trying to find a way back to the prem with an underperforming manager and an overpaid squad.

I grew up watching both clubs. I don't consider Stoke fans less educated, fatter or more well kept than Port Vale supporters. Both sets of fans are from Stoke on Trent, a place deprived of well, anything.

I don't consider Stoke our rivals. They are well and truly in another league. I hope one day we can continue that rivalry however a game against their reserves is not an example of such.

Whoever this plonker is writing for a biased newspaper I couldn't care less of his opinion. He's entitled to it. Shame on The Sentinel for printing it. Theres no pride in gloating about their own success, I would however, concentrate on the fact next season they will be 20m down, loosing even more money and desperately trying to find a way back to the prem with an underperforming manager and an overpaid squad.

Clearly living outside the area has tempered your contempt for the unkempt rabble down the road.One only has to read there fans forum to get an indication of the mentality of their fans.I've always thought that the north of the city(although poorer) is more cultured and nothing has changed that view.

Clearly living outside the area has tempered your contempt for the unkempt rabble down the road.One only has to read there fans forum to get an indication of the mentality of their fans.I've always thought that the north of the city(although poorer) is more cultured and nothing has changed that view.
Blimey! I lived in Trent Vale for many years, amongst masses of Sjokies. I've lived out of the area now for 30 years and I can only accept that the only difference between both sets of "fans" is the numbers. Vale have their share of hoodlums or whatever you may call them. Again so have Stoke and by simple arithmetic they have more than us. Believe it or not there are many, many fans of each Club that don't want to harm or abuse each other. I can totally accept banter and friendly rivalry and even " taking the p..s " out of each other but to take it further than that is not for me. I have family in the Potteries who are staunch Sjokies and yes we wind each other up.If it came to a point where we hated each other or let it affect our human relationship then I have to say I'd pack in being a Football fan. Sorry bycars bootboy but I honestly think your views are very much in the minority.

Much as it pains me to write a post about a lardy, Martin Smiths column in the Sentinel today cannot go unanswered.

Now I know he is/was the editor of the Oatcake, which is essentially like being the editor of a big colouring book with single syllable words but even so, what an absolute load of garbage he’s written.

He clearly either knows nothing about football or 10 years getting hammered by Spurs in “the worlds best league”TM has addled his brain.

The Vale fans who are staying away from “the derby” are doing so in a continued on-going protest about the way the FL have wrecked a good competition and are testing the water for under 21 teams in the FL proper.

I suppose if Stoke were to again reach “the promised land” TM and the top 6 were to join a Euro league, he’d be happy with Stoke playing Liverpool and Spurs U21s? Thought not.

The fact that Stoke fans are so excited about this game shows how far they’ve fallen. We just about scrape a league squad and it’s their biggest game since the City cup final.

What did Martin Smith actually say? Live out of the area so don't get a Senile, and I couldn't be bothered to go on their website because of all the pop ups.

Hope Martin Smith and The Sentinel have seen all the empty seats at Stoke tonight.Bet it’s reported as a sell out 28000 in the Sentinel tomorrow.

As Stoke have recorded a 30 million loss you should have expected them to offer more seats to the Derby fans.

Can we arrange a bucket collection outside the ground on Tuesday to help pay the wages of their overpaid and underperforming players.

Maybe Denise Coates can donate more of her 265 million towards helping them out.

Archived