onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread - Port Vale v Notts County

Fosse69

Of course it is sad that to be a top player Chamberlain had to leave Port Vale and went to Stoke. The only thing I can say is that I was at Stoke on the day he made his debut and it is a lasting memory how he absolutely destroyed the long established England left back Kenny Sansom. Chamberlain certainly had great pace, but his and that of all the other players mentioned here is not of the type Owen had. Owen, when he was young and before injuries had an acceleration of a few yards that I have never seen since. He was able to dart over short distances to reach the ball ahead of defenders or take the ball away from defenders.

I agree the younger Chamberlain was fast but also immensely skillful.

Michael Owen is as fast as any English player I've seen, he was not only fast physically but mentally too. There's a video of him on Youtube talking about his career and his speed. He says his father and his brothers, who apparently were good players, all had muscle/tendon issues and he suggested his propensity for muscle injuries was genetic.

He described how he tore a hamstring at 19 and was always wary of similar injuries after that. In the latter stages of his career, after many muscle injuries, his head wanted him to go but his legs just wouldn't take him and he had to change his game. Really sad, I loved watching Michael Owen and will never forget the goal vs Argentina, on a par with Banks's save from Pele.

Advert

I loved watching Michael Owen and will never forget the goal vs Argentina, on a par with Banks's save from Pele.

In the 1998 World Cup Ronaldo of Brazil was called 'papa goal' because of his goalscoring exploits. That goal from an 18 year old Owen earned him the title 'baby goal' from the press.

Anyway, back on topic I can't see Vale signing a goalscoring forward anytime soon for two reasons. First, anyone who might do us some good will still be under contract in January so wouldn't be available unless Vale are prepared to pay a transfer fee, which brings us to the second reason - Vale won't pay a transfer fee because Norman won't put his hand in his pocket.

We should be able to play out this season, earning a respectable mid table position, and sign a goalscorer next summer. Then we'll be in a position to push on.

In the 1998 World Cup Ronaldo of Brazil was called 'papa goal' because of his goalscoring exploits. That goal from an 18 year old Owen earned him the title 'baby goal' from the press.

Anyway, back on topic I can't see Vale signing a goalscoring forward anytime soon for two reasons. First, anyone who might do us some good will still be under contract in January so wouldn't be available unless Vale are prepared to pay a transfer fee, which brings us to the second reason - Vale won't pay a transfer fee because Norman won't put his hand in his pocket.

We should be able to play out this season, earning a respectable mid table position, and sign a goalscorer next summer. Then we'll be in a position to push on.

Yep, I can't see the amount of money being made available to sign a player who'd make a difference to the current team but I would go for a creative player someone along the lines of a Danny Mayor or the guy Bodewine (can't spell his name) from Notts.

Should've won yesterday.

Referee bought the antics of their No 15 for the foul that led up to the goal, it was a 50:50 challenge. Rank poor defending thereafter though.

Some work still needs to be done on the training pitch for the set up at corners, just how Vale can manage not to have a player/defender on the right hand side of the goal (Vale's right) as the ball comes across from the corner is beyond belief, their player who scored was in acres of space.

Come on Neil sort it out and then we may go places.

Viewed from Lorne Street. On the first goal their player broke in to the box and it looked like he was going to be able to dribble right up to the goal. So the defenders were all drawn out of position but also scared to challenge and give away a pen. So in the end they didn't tackle, didn't cut the pass out and left a player unmarked. The root cause was failure to understand the pace and threat the player breaking in to the box had.

With the second goal I think tiredness played a part. It is true it was leaving a man unmarked, but a lot of our attacks in the second half of the second half consisted of getting the defence forward. For example Legge carrying the ball and taking long throws. He was out on his feet near the end.

So in the end they have had two shots on target and both gave goals we should have defended. But they have only had two shots on target, so in that sense our defence has continued its improvement visible in the last few games. For me, we need to stick with Vassell at left back and not be tempted to bring Montano back there. Vassell is developing rapidly and I thought he had improved significantly as an attacking force against Notts County and started to show some really good stuff round the edge of the opposition box.

We are going to need the defence to have a great game against Sunderland who I expect to have 70% possession. We need Pope to score from their one mistake!

Viewed from Lorne Street. On the first goal their player broke in to the box and it looked like he was going to be able to dribble right up to the goal. So the defenders were all drawn out of position but also scared to challenge and give away a pen. So in the end they didn't tackle, didn't cut the pass out and left a player unmarked. The root cause was failure to understand the pace and threat the player breaking in to the box had.

With the second goal I think tiredness played a part. It is true it was leaving a man unmarked, but a lot of our attacks in the second half of the second half consisted of getting the defence forward. For example Legge carrying the ball and taking long throws. He was out on his feet near the end.

So in the end they have had two shots on target and both gave goals we should have defended. But they have only had two shots on target, so in that sense our defence has continued its improvement visible in the last few games. For me, we need to stick with Vassell at left back and not be tempted to bring Montano back there. Vassell is developing rapidly and I thought he had improved significantly as an attacking force against Notts County and started to show some really good stuff round the edge of the opposition box.

We are going to need the defence to have a great game against Sunderland who I expect to have 70% possession. We need Pope to score from their one mistake!

The problem was a simple one. I think it was rawlison who failed to follow his man.

Yep, I can't see the amount of money being made available to sign a player who'd make a difference to the current team but I would go for a creative player someone along the lines of a Danny Mayor or the guy Bodewine (can't spell his name) from Notts.

We should have splashed out on Kristian Dennis,like everyone was screaming for.Someone told me that he played on Saturday.:unsure:

Could be the Lincoln debacle was a blessing in disguise. Aspo has been forced into playing a formation and sticking to it ,and to stop playing about with it every game.

Now with the defence pretty much more solid the team can work on attacking.

It was refreshing to see alot of pressing forward and wing play . Also using Ben's pace to try and get behind the defence with a couple of floated balls from the midfield.

Should of won but again set price defending which Aspo won't be happy about .

The difference between the goals is that they had quality up front ,who can take chances and score .

We desperately need players like this and Aspo is aware of this as he's stated in his interviews .

We are getting stronger and gelling nicely .

Good on the boys and Aspo.

UTV

First match for me since Lincoln.

We should have won - clearly. Hannant's goal was very well taken as he seemed to be head it from behind. The County goals were dreadful. Scoring from that close in always looks crap. Thought the defence looked solid in open play and the midfield was very solid.

However I look at matches like this as character building. You play well. Don't get the rub. Go behind with literally a few minutes to go and get a goal back.

Can't fault them for attitude and belief.

Well done everyone. And well done supporters too!

Next one for me is likely to be Boxing Day!

We should have splashed out on Kristian Dennis,like everyone was screaming for.Someone told me that he played on Saturday.:unsure:

Howjy, There is always gonna be that risk whatever player (If any) is signed but especially a goal scorer. However IMHO, Vale are a quality Lge 1/2 creative player away from challenging for the play-offs.

It surprised me how anonymous Dennis was on Saturday, was it that Vale's back 3 just had him in their pocket?, was he isolated up front? Nathan Smith played well Saturday and Dennis is the the type of striker Smith will do very well against as he's not that tall/physical so I'm going for the former explanation.

The problem was a simple one. I think it was rawlison who failed to follow his man.

Do you mean the first or second goal? From the highlights, it looks on the first like Legge gets on the wrong side of his man on the line, allowing him to almost back heel it into the goal. It was though a bit too late by then as the ball looked like it was already going in.

On the second, it was clearly Vassell who lost his man, allowing him to move the ball over to our right where Ward was unmarked (it looks like the nearest player to him was Mitchell).

Disappointing that their only two attempots on target went in but what a fight back by the Vale. Popey's header was superb - he couldn't have seen it until very late and it was an awkward height. The guy is a legend.

Howjy, There is always gonna be that risk whatever player (If any) is signed but especially a goal scorer. However IMHO, Vale are a quality Lge 1/2 creative player away from challenging for the play-offs.

It surprised me how anonymous Dennis was on Saturday, was it that Vale's back 3 just had him in their pocket?, was he isolated up front? Nathan Smith played well Saturday and Dennis is the the type of striker Smith will do very well against as he's not that tall/physical so I'm going for the former explanation.

Get Manny fit and I think we’ve already got that player at the club,Paul.

Are you off your head!

No smith! Please tell me you follow the ball 100% of the time and don’t realise how Smudger annoys the CF’s / Strikers off the ball! The man is a pest, horrible, shirt pulling, dragging and talking in the ear. For a young CH he is fantastic and why he was a stand out player under baldrick and Bruno.

You’ve got to get real, and think about the best team. Don’t just watch the ball, watch the team, tactics, formations.

Then pick a team without Smith!

Sumdger was probably the best player on the park, Saturday. He kept our £100k pre season chase at bay ( who was substituted very early in the second half for a runaround chicken) and if conlon had not gone off ( who had a cracking. Game) would have been a close call for MOTM.

But the sponsors pay there money and want to met the idol, so they gave it to the goal machine Pope, who scored from a smith flick on.

Please explain why you would drop smith ?

Archived