onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread - Port Vale v Notts County

Fosse69

Get Manny fit and I think we’ve already got that player at the club,Paul.

Oyeleke looks a very good player if he can stay fit but if, and it's a big if, we were able to pay money to sign a player then my vote for what it's worth would be for a Chris Eagles type player so a Danny Mayor or the like.

Advert

Do you mean the first or second goal? From the highlights, it looks on the first like Legge gets on the wrong side of his man on the line, allowing him to almost back heel it into the goal. It was though a bit too late by then as the ball looked like it was already going in.

On the second, it was clearly Vassell who lost his man, allowing him to move the ball over to our right where Ward was unmarked (it looks like the nearest player to him was Mitchell).

Disappointing that their only two attempots on target went in but what a fight back by the Vale. Popey's header was superb - he couldn't have seen it until very late and it was an awkward height. The guy is a legend.

The second. Vassell’s man wins the first ball. Rawlison failed to follow Elliott,which is why he was in space to score unchallenged

Sumdger was probably the best player on the park, Saturday. He kept our £100k pre season chase at bay ( who was substituted very early in the second half for a runaround chicken) and if conlon had not gone off ( who had a cracking. Game) would have been a close call for MOTM.

But the sponsors pay there money and want to met the idol, so they gave it to the goal machine Pope, who scored from a smith flick on.

Please explain why you would drop smith ?

Thought Smith was brilliant so I'll obviously hold my hands up over that. However my initial point wasn't about defensive capabilities, as you keep harping on about (and was never in question), but ability on the ball - and I still stand by the fact that we don't have anyone capable of playing out from the back. If at least one of the back three could do this we would be able to retain the ball far better. All three are good defenders though, no question, but against better teams we concede possession far too easily. If you put an extra man at the back they need to be able to play.

Great performance though by everyone on Saturday. Shame about the two sloppy goals but an entertaining game and good attacking intent. Roll on Sunderland!

Thought Smith was brilliant so I'll obviously hold my hands up over that. However my initial point wasn't about defensive capabilities, as you keep harping on about (and was never in question), but ability on the ball - and I still stand by the fact that we don't have anyone capable of playing out from the back. If at least one of the back three could do this we would be able to retain the ball far better. All three are good defenders though, no question, but against better teams we concede possession far too easily. If you put an extra man at the back they need to be able to play.

Great performance though by everyone on Saturday. Shame about the two sloppy goals but an entertaining game and good attacking intent. Roll on Sunderland!

I totally agree with all the above, but where do we ever find another cheap Dean Glover?

Do you mean the first or second goal? From the highlights, it looks on the first like Legge gets on the wrong side of his man on the line, allowing him to almost back heel it into the goal. It was though a bit too late by then as the ball looked like it was already going in.

On the second, it was clearly Vassell who lost his man, allowing him to move the ball over to our right where Ward was unmarked (it looks like the nearest player to him was Mitchell).

Disappointing that their only two attempots on target went in but what a fight back by the Vale. Popey's header was superb - he couldn't have seen it until very late and it was an awkward height. The guy is a legend.

I thought the first was a disaster as soon as the free kick was given. Hannant and Clark weren't switched on for the short free kick, Clark then tried to nick it in front instead of forcing him backwards, but wasn't quite strong enough and they were then away in to the box. From then we were all over the shop once he cut inside. I thought for the second it was Vassell and Rawlinson, Vassells man gets a run on him and helps the ball on, whilst Rawlinson is drawn to the ball leaving his man free at the back post.

And you can bet that Kewell will claim that his team deserved to win!!!

If your team has just scored to take the lead with 5 minutes to go then you'd expect to see it out from there. But as a whole they were second best.

I do but he always had a hard man ie Swan or Aspin available to tidy up for him.

Glover was a converted midfielder ( ironically Walker was a converted centre half) Who in the current squad do you think could carry out this role, Manny?

I think Glover started out at centrehalf but played games at leftback and in midfield for Villa and particularly Middlesbrough. Part of the reason he agreed to sign was Rudge promised to play him in his preferred position. His lack of height meant he wasn't getting a look in at Middlesbrough and to be fair Mowbray and Pallister was a pretty solid pairing at the time. Walker played midfield and centrehalf as a youth team player but I don't think he played any first team games in that position until he did a couple of cameos late on in his Vale career.

Archived