Match Thread Port Vale v Wolverhampton Wanderers

Fosse69

Who is likely to turn up? Will it be the Prem new boys or the U23s? Maybe a mixture tending to the latter. As for our lads, will a pattern emerge, still a trialist or two, arrival of a loan player? Even at this stage injuries being nursed, I suppose we still have time on our hands, so best to be careful.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's hope Aspo reverts to a more sensible formation and plays Montano wide left or full back. Thought it was a bit much criticising the lad for a poor performance on Saturday - he's only just getting used to the idea of playing more defensively, so his head must be spinning at the prospect of playing centreback. Judging by last season, he could become one of the best left wing backs or full backs in the league with his pace going forward. Rawlinson, Smith and Legge would be by far our strongest three at the back if that's the way Aspo wants us to play. C'mon Aspo, you know it makes sense!

Let's hope Aspo reverts to a more sensible formation and plays Montano wide left or full back. Thought it was a bit much criticising the lad for a poor performance on Saturday - he's only just getting used to the idea of playing more defensively, so his head must be spinning at the prospect of playing centreback. Judging by last season, he could become one of the best left wing backs or full backs in the league with his pace going forward. Rawlinson, Smith and Legge would be by far our strongest three at the back if that's the way Aspo wants us to play. C'mon Aspo, you know it makes sense!

I know its early days yet but from what I've seen of Legg so far I would question his mobility if he plays as part of a back 3. I would suspect Aspins preferred 3 is the 3 hes been playing so far (Rawlinson, Smith and Monty). But of course whilst he may want to do that it could all change if Monty doesn't start to learn that in that role he has to defend properly.

Wolves are at Stoke on Wednesday so I imagine they’ll send their u23s or similar.

It’s another chance for us to iron out any formation issues.

Yes they will. Last I saw on the Wolves website our game wasn't even on there, but the Stoke one was.

I know its early days yet but from what I've seen of Legg so far I would question his mobility if he plays as part of a back 3. I would suspect Aspins preferred 3 is the 3 hes been playing so far (Rawlinson, Smith and Monty). But of course whilst he may want to do that it could all change if Monty doesn't start to learn that in that role he has to defend properly.

Would prefer Theo Vessel to be given a chance ( he is a 6ft defender!!) with Smith and Rawlinson, Monty as leftwing back and Gibbo as right wing back. As said earlier Legge looked very imobile and slow.

Vale: Sam Hornby, James Gibbons, Cristian Montano, Luke Joyce, Leon Legge, David Worrall, Luke Hannant, Scott Quigley, Louis Dodds, Theo Vassell, Tom Conlon.

Subs: Scott Brown, Anthony Kay, Nathan Smith, Danny Pugh, Idris Kanu, Michael Tonge, Brendan Daniels.

Looks like a 4-4-2?

Archived