Match Thread Port Vale v Wolverhampton Wanderers

Fosse69

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think tonight showed again that we are susceptible to a ball over the top with Monty and Legg.

Monty was getting caught in front of his man, but his pace gets him out of trouble. Legg is not as mobile and can be turned with a ball over his head and he again put a tackle in that could have been a red card in a normal game.

I’m still not 100% sold on this new formation. If a team move the ball quickly enough when our attack’s break down we can get exposed down the flanks. We also need to move it quicker when we get the chance when the wing backs are in space.

I think of that starting 11 tonight I can see Gibbons, Monty, Worrall, Joyce, Hannant, Dodds and Conlon (if he signs) starting.

Thought we were really poor tonight. Only one chance created all night. Conlan was the best Vale player by a country mile and we must sign him, and quickly. Absolutely nothing up front, or wide on both sides of the pitch. I'm an optimist but it could be a long season.

Keep saying it but if we play montano where he currently is then we will struggle big time.

Also not convinced. Latching onto the Kyle Walker thing always struck me as bizarre.

Call me old fashioned but I still think we need wingers. We got out of this division last time with two rapid wingers. We don't have any this time. Monty is now a centre half and Worrall is not the quickest wide player. The only other wide players are the unproven Kanu and Daniels, who will both need time to adapt.

I think by playing with wing backs we aren’t actually getting much wing play from them. Not their fault, but the systems IMO. I think both Monty and Gibbons looked better last season as part of a back 4 and overlapping their winger instead.

If we get Howkins then play him with Smith and Rawlinson or Legge that would make better sense with Monty even playing LWB in that formation and Gibbo on the RWB. Seems the most sensible solution to me if determined to go with the England style formation!

I think Monty needed that stint at full back to settle him in properly after a disrupted first few months at the club with injury, and get some games under his belt.

Now I think it's time to put him back into his strongest position and give the side some natural width.

If we get Howkins then play him with Smith and Rawlinson or Legge that would make better sense with Monty even playing LWB in that formation and Gibbo on the RWB. Seems the most sensible solution to me if determined to go with the England style formation!

He isn’t trying it because it’s ‘England style’ look at his previous clubs it’s his favourite formation to play!

The Walker - Monty role is England and that formation has issues.

I was more referring it to the England style as comparable rather than the reason it’s being used. Hopefully we sort it but seems to still be a work in progress to fine tune it.

The Walker - Monty role is England and that formation has issues.

You are right, as Aspin has specifically referenced Kyle Walker when explaining why he is trying Montano in that role.

The irony for me is that I don't even think that Kyle Walker is particularly good at/suited to playing as one of three centre-backs, and is wasted in many ways from his best and most effective position (although, of course, England's argument/reasoning is that they have found a quality replacement right-back/right wing-back in Trippier......not something that Vale can similarly state regarding switching Montano from left-back/left wing-back!)

Just personally don't see the issue with:

Brown

Gibbons Smith Legge Montano

Worrall Oyeleke Joyce Hannant

Pope Miller

Hornby Vassell Rawlinson Conlon Daniels Dodds Quigly

Its basic, but thats a strong 11. Worrall and Hannant work hard enough to unleash the fullbacks, Smith works best with a big man, nice cover on the bench (Kanu, Kay not on there).

I liked Howkins but he doesn't appear necessary. If the budget is tight, I'd love an out and out winger/natural left back.

I understand that experimentation is what pre-season is for but some of it (Hannant at LWB, Monty at CB) is just getting a bit silly now.

As Santa has said, now Monty is confident again, it would be good to give him a bash at his natural position. Thats why the non-signing of McKeown, who in friendlies and by Aspo's account was more than competent, makes little sense. As a club we have 0 proper, trained, out and out left backs.

As we all know, the management knows a lot more than us. At the minute, after a very, very strong opener to the window, I'm left feeling a tiny bit apprehensive, 10 days out, that we're messing about a bit too much. I'm seen as a moaner on here, but I feel far better about the club now then I have done for 2 years. Just a bit worried by the mad experimentation so close to the season, the lack of wingers, and the lack of a left back.

He isn’t trying it because it’s ‘England style’ look at his previous clubs it’s his favourite formation to play!

The whole Montano at CB thing is very England though.

The key difference being Walker spent a season being coached by the best tactical manager on the planet, and was making the very standard transition from full back to centre half.

Monty's had our coaches, and in the space of 6 months is going from a winger to a centre back. Its madness.

Hopefully it'll be abandoned as an unsuccessful experiment.

1st post on here. the experimenting has got a bit silly now. i don’t feel the need to go 3 at the back. it seems to give us less width and don’t get the best out of players such as monty, hannant and the whole back line looks disjointed at times whereas when it switched in the second half to a 4, the line of the back four was a lot better and we got down the sides a lot more! one thing i will say is we still look like we need a striker because quigley he a lot of learning to do if he’s to play at league 2 level. for a big lad he doesn’t seem to be that aggressive and decision making isn’t the best. 2nd half was a lot more settled i thought and see the best of players such as legge gibbons joyce and even the trialists. i am hoping we start with a 442 come the 4th of august!

I know formations are always a hot topic but my main concern is a lack of pace and quality in the side. We seem to have signed a lot of yet unproven non-league players and journeyman, I really hope it works out but realistically I'm expecting another lower half finish.

Just personally don't see the issue with:

Brown

Gibbons Smith Legge Montano

Worrall Oyeleke Joyce Hannant

Pope Miller

Hornby Vassell Rawlinson Conlon Daniels Dodds Quigly

Its basic, but thats a strong 11. Worrall and Hannant work hard enough to unleash the fullbacks, Smith works best with a big man, nice cover on the bench (Kanu, Kay not on there).

I liked Howkins but he doesn't appear necessary. If the budget is tight, I'd love an out and out winger/natural left back.

I understand that experimentation is what pre-season is for but some of it (Hannant at LWB, Monty at CB) is just getting a bit silly now.

As Santa has said, now Monty is confident again, it would be good to give him a bash at his natural position. Thats why the non-signing of McKeown, who in friendlies and by Aspo's account was more than competent, makes little sense. As a club we have 0 proper, trained, out and out left backs.

As we all know, the management knows a lot more than us. At the minute, after a very, very strong opener to the window, I'm left feeling a tiny bit apprehensive, 10 days out, that we're messing about a bit too much. I'm seen as a moaner on here, but I feel far better about the club now then I have done for 2 years. Just a bit worried by the mad experimentation so close to the season, the lack of wingers, and the lack of a left back.

100% agree with this.

I would also add the the strikers would much prefer to have crosses delivered from the final third which 4-4-2 / 4-4-1-1 gives you rather than wing-backs where the crossed mainly come from deeper.

Our biggest issue is a lack of creativity but you don't need to be overly intricate to get the ball wide and put in a cross.

For me, we are a side in transition and need to keep it simple...but we are moving away from that for no apparent gain.

Not convinced.

Archived