onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Brexit again...

Davebrad

Advert

Overall it's bad for the man on the street in the UK, very bad.

There are pluses and minuses it is true but taken as a whole it's not good for most of us.

It results in a reduction in foreign investment and higher prices for imported goods. And that's before tariffs are added by the EU.

We import about 26% of our food from the EU so guess what will happen if the value of the pound drops?

Bear in mind also that we run a deficit and are not a manufacturing export driven economy. Over 50% of our exports include components imported from abroad.

A few thousand extra foreign tourists pales into insignificance compared to the increasing costs for 60 million British people.

Thankfully it's looking like most sensible MPS agree with me and the signs are encouraging I think for a Soft Brexit to protect the economy and/or a People's Vote. The tide is turning. The inmates had taken over the asylum for a while but now the wardens are regaining control. :wink:

Hmm, this dictionary stuff is interesting.

So I could say...

A decrease in value of the pound is fantastic news for UK tourism and exports, and that is the truth.

Cheers Paul.

And the value of the pound to the dollar is particularly important 'cause oil is traded in dollars.......

Not if you are using truth as an argument to back up statements you rely on.

Facts are true, if they are not they aren't facts.

Any readings/interpretations of the facts are not necessarily true but they certainly arent facts.

An experiment some time ago had a number of people observing 4 cars, of different colour, drive down the road, when asked which one was speeding 90%+ said the red one... the fact is they were all doing the same speed but all the people told the truth as they perceived it.

Because an "expert" interprets the facts and makes a conclusion/opinion doesn't make that opinion factual or correct.

Your interpretation of facts isn't any more truthful than an opposing view.

Geo, The phrase "The truth hurts" was used as an expression not as an argument to back up anything I "Rely on".

Paul your understanding of currency economics is beyond laughable. No-one with an iota of understanding of currency markets is going to give any credence to a one day price fluctuation.

The fact is the pound fell at a faster rate in two years prior to the referendum than in the three years since.

You are fast becoming the second most annoying poster on OVF because you have a 'know it all' arrogance on subjects you actually know nothing about.

A single day decline is usually followed by a next day rebound. This one wasn't.

I haven't been on this thread for a while as I'm depressed enough about Vale's plight without considering the state the whole country is going to be in after Brexit. But when I do come back on it's the same Brexiteer nutcases spouting the same drivel.

If the reactions of Airbus, Nissan and Honda to a no deal Brexit aren't enough to convince you of its folly nothing will. It's no use arguing with a vacuum so I might as well not bother.

'You know too much for me', your arrogance is abhorrent and that statement is miles from the truth. You have no grasp of factual information or you ignore it to suit your agenda.

Your inane ramblings are pathetically attention seeking to a level REP can only dream of achieving. Paul I admit I was wrong; you have become the most annoying poster on OVF.

Please stick to fighting for Donald's anti global warming fictional daydream and in your spare time perhaps you could build a wall and leave debate for the grown ups.

Thanks I think 😂

Geo, It does to some people that's why it's often used as an expression. My point wasn't incorrect.

Just out of interest, do you recycle?

We have very little to recycle.

No food is wasted, egg shells are ground down for calcium, maybe 2 cans a month saved and sold with any other scrap, outer leaves and peel composted, paper and card stored and sold, plastic bottles either used or sold.... the only blight are plastic bags which we try to avoid where possible..... but I hasten to add that it's not me.... it's how it is here and my wife does it mostly out of habit.

Even when the bins are collected they are sorted for reusables..... to give you an idea of the size of waste discarded... a standard UK wheelie bin would take about 2-3 months to fill, which would be sorted by the collectors.

The largest overcook is rice... families cook it in the morning and any remaining is dried, stored and sold as animal feed.

Jezza has now scrapped his 2017 manifesto which promised to respect the result of the EU referendum and now wants a second referendum.

You couldn't make it up.

No need to make it up mate, his party is cracking and he's looking for a quick fix and a headline.

The Tories are doing no better.... and the small fry parties are looking for friends wherever they can find them... it's a bloody mess.

It's starting to lean a little towards another referendum but with a rigged question... all hell is about to break loose.

Archived