onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Brexit again...

Davebrad

So "The fact as you see them" are clearly incorrect, so no interest in facts or honesty eh, what's left.

Well I don't think the predictions in your post were strictly truthful Paul so let's not start trying to call me a liar again eh?

The project fear prediction was that a VOTE for brexit would cause an immediate recession, not a slow down in growth.

And I don't know if they predicted a temporary fall in value of the pound either.

Although as I've already told you, they were lies designed to scare people into voting to remain, rather than honest predictions based on realistic models.

Advert

Paul, if the Express, Mail, Johnson and Rees-Mogg all say the moon is made of green cheese, then it undoubtedly is.

If you state some facts backed by learned opinion like the Bank of England or OECD or IMF it's just a load of rubbish and Project Fear.

You need to stop being sensible and accept reality. The EU has not brought us increasing prosperity and friendly relations with Europe for the past 50 years. We can easily find better alternatives for our 45% of exports that go to the EU. A Hard deal is the way to go. It won't affect our economy at all. The land of milk and honey is within touching distance. All these nasty immigrants taking our jobs and bringing down wages. All these silly laws that we don't like, like those on paternity leave and maximum working hours, can be swept away. It'll be plain selling and our economic growth will go through the roof.

Rees Mogg says it's true. Farage says it's true. Johnson says it's true. These are all honest trustworthy men who know what's best for us.

Accept the facts Paul. Don't listen to these siren voices. Two ex PMs, Clark, Heseltine, Cable and the rest are all buffoons who know nothing about the UK economy. Don't let them fool you Paul. See the light. I'll pray for you. :yes::wink:

Well 99.9% (I'll give you the 0.01% Paul) of their predictions have been wrong so far, so why should we blindly listen to the "experts"?

And we've all got stats. How about the one that only 6% of UK businesses export to the EU?

Or that 90% of future global economic growth will come from outside of the EU and that figure is calculated before brexit has any impact.

Guest TommyMac
Guys, you can spin it all you like but a drop in the value of the pound vs the dollar

The pound dropped by a greater percentage from the beginning of July 2014 to the day before the referendum than it has from the day of the referendum to present day. It's not difficult to predict something that is already happening and could (project fear's favourite word) have continued the trend despite of Brexit.

Guest TommyMac
Crikey there are some Dinosaurs on here. Project fear I wish it was untrue, but the job losses are starting to mount, still Liam Fox is hopeful of a meaningful trade deal with the Maldives. Britain rules the waves eh.

OMG, now you've explained it so succinctly I realise how wrong I've been. Vince Cable is our king, Bring on the Peoples Vote. Ditch the pound, Euros are the future. Feed Jean Claude and he will score. Thank you Mr Tunstall for guiding me.

The pound dropped by a greater percentage from the beginning of July 2014 to the day before the referendum than it has from the day of the referendum to present day. It's not difficult to predict something that is already happening and could (project fear's favourite word) have continued the trend despite of Brexit.

The pound vs the dollar rate dropped precipitously on the day the referendum result was announced (1.48 on 23 June to 1.36 on 24 June 2016). The pound has been declining in value ever since the referendum was announced and the Brexit uncertainty began, as it was predicted to. The pound hasn't been as low as it is now since 1984-86.

Guest TommyMac
The pound vs the dollar rate dropped precipitously on the day the referendum result was announced (1.48 on 23 June to 1.36 on 24 June 2016). The pound has been declining in value ever since the referendum was announced and the Brexit uncertainty began, as it was predicted to. The pound hasn't been as low as it is now since 1984-86.

It dropped at a faster rate in the 2 years prior to referendum than it has in the 3 years since. I could say the uncertainty of Brexit has slowed the decline and statistically you can't prove it hasn't.

But please feel free to continue your spin on the lies (incorrect predictions :laugh:) told by the remain campaign.

It dropped at a faster rate in the 2 years prior to referendum than it has in the 3 years since. I could say the uncertainty of Brexit has slowed the decline and statistically you can't prove it hasn't.

But please feel free to continue your spin on the lies (incorrect predictions :laugh:) told by the remain campaign.

They can only even attempt to fight brexit on the economy front. They were badly let down by the project fear of the remain campaign because it reinforced many people's distrust of the EU and distrust of politics in general.

Meanwhile, the leave campaign were happy to sit back and allow the remain campaign to spread their lies about the economy without needing to actually be competitive on that part of the debate. It is a shame really but the ultimate cause is the poor remain campaign.

Remainers today simply can't fight brexit on any other front despite the weak attempts to claim that it is undemocratic or the lies that only brexiteers lied. There hasn't been a single legitimate counter debate to the sovereignty issue or immigration, aside from them flat out refusing to see what is undeniable.

99% of this thread is remainers dragging the debate back on to the economy despite very little understanding of any of it. They are reliant on Government reports (which they hadn't read) and experts (which they hadn't read) basically predicting a doomsday worst case scenario and then telling everyone thats what will happen.

I'm not claiming to be knowledgeable on economics by the way, I've read a few articles and watched a few videos enough to know that there are extremely intelligent economic experts who think that brexit is not only a fantastic opportunity for Britain, but actually has avoided a car crash EU economy in the not so distant future.

My own thoughts (and this is based purely on my experiences and not on any data) is that remainers don't actually know what they're talking about when it comes to the economy. They never did care about the economy enough to want a better economy, they just want to stay in the EU and keep the status quo.

Geo, Note I said against the dollar, fuel isn't bought and sold in Bht, who cares about Bht unless your travelling to or live in Thailand.

I was trying to indicate that the pound has fallen worldwide over a number of years... against every currency.

It's possible the dollar has strengthened because of their economy not ours therefore widening the gap.

The pound swings on confidence.... inaction, confusion, indecision tend to sink it.

TM, Do you understand what a rate of change actually is? Let me explain;

So I'll take two years prior to 2016 rather than three years as the pound was approx 1.56 to the Dollar in 2013 and it makes your post look even more ridiculous

On 6 July 2014 pound at 1.71, on the 23 June pound was at 1.48, so the pound lost 0.23 cents of value over approx 700 days (approx 2 years).

On 23rd June 2016 the pound was at 1.48, on the 24th June 2016 it was at 1.36, a drop of 0.12 cents in 1 day.

From July 6th 2014 to 23 June 2016 the rate of change (drop) was 0.23/700 = 0.00033 cents/day.

From June 23 to June 24 2016 the rate of change (drop) was 0.12 cents/day.

In which period did the pound drop at a faster rate against the dollar, July 6th 2014 to June 23rd 2016 or June 23 2016 to June 24th 2016.

Since you won't answer I'll give you a clue, it's the latter.....it's not even close.

A rate of change = Change in y (Value of $)/Change in x (Time in days).

So it doesn't look like you or Regal understand what a rate of change is, not spin just facts. :blush:

That amount of change in a day amounts to a deflation of the pound.

Guest TommyMac
TM, Do you understand what a rate of change actually is? Let me explain;

So I'll take two years prior to 2016 rather than three years as the pound was approx 1.56 to the Dollar in 2013 and it makes your post look even more ridiculous

On 6 July 2014 pound at 1.71, on the 23 June pound was at 1.48, so the pound lost 0.23 cents of value over approx 700 days (approx 2 years).

On 23rd June 2016 the pound was at 1.48, on the 24th June 2016 it was at 1.36, a drop of 0.12 cents in 1 day.

From July 6th 2014 to 23 June 2016 the rate of change (drop) was 0.23/700 = 0.00033 cents/day.

From June 23 to June 24 2016 the rate of change (drop) was 0.12 cents/day.

In which period did the pound drop at a faster rate against the dollar, July 6th 2014 to June 23rd 2016 or June 23 2016 to June 24th 2016.

Since you won't answer I'll give you a clue, it's the latter.....it's not even close.

A rate of change = Change in y (Value of $)/Change in x (Time in days).

So it doesn't look like you or Regal understand what a rate of change is, not spin just facts. :blush:

That amount of change in a day amounts to a deflation of the pound.

Paul your understanding of currency economics is beyond laughable. No-one with an iota of understanding of currency markets is going to give any credence to a one day price fluctuation.

The fact is the pound fell at a faster rate in two years prior to the referendum than in the three years since.

You are fast becoming the second most annoying poster on OVF because you have a 'know it all' arrogance on subjects you actually know nothing about.

Paul your understanding of currency economics is beyond laughable. No-one with an iota of understanding of currency markets is going to give any credence to a one day price fluctuation.

The fact is the pound fell at a faster rate in two years prior to the referendum than in the three years since.

You are fast becoming the second most annoying poster on OVF because you have a 'know it all' arrogance on subjects you actually know nothing about.

He is unbelievable.

He genuinely called me a liar because I said that the definition of democracy doesn't include the word honesty.

His tactic when his head goes is to insult and abuse and accuse people of not understanding whilst failing to grasp basic undeniable facts himself.

It's a shame we can't be sensible in this thread, many other posters manage it.

Archived