onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Colchester Utd

Fosse69

Starting formation didn't work. Colchester scored with their first attack.

Both goals conceded were unbelievably soft.

Like the look of Hannett . Energy, combative, skilful.

Whitfield wanted the ball.

Worrall worked his socks off.

Pope battled, Tonge smooth, if slow.

Jules improved. Smith, Anderson ok.

Kay better when moved into midfield.

Forrester looked competent following Wilson, who looked well out of his depth.

Montano floated. He has little impact.

Lainton looked hapless.

Poor overall, but kept plugging away and got the reward.

Colchester weren't even as good as us!

Advert

I'm not his biggest fan but people singling out Montano seems slightly harsh.

He was played completely out of position at left wing back, and then as a standard left back, in the first half, and still got the assist for Worrall's first.

He ballsed up a cross in the 2nd and it was as if he'd just decked Rudgey on the centre circle. Aghast cries, boos, and my personal hate of cheers as he was subbed. I thought the bloke in front of me might cry, he seemed that upset. The Railway hasn't made as much noise for decades.

Is he a world beater? No. Is he the most frustrating player we've had at Vale in years? Yes

He's a talented, inconsistent, League 2 winger, in and out of a struggling side and playing at ******* left back for 45 today.

Rarely have I seen such vitriol directed at a player, and it seems especially weird considering, despite a poor performance (I will repeat massively out of position for the most part), he actually was one of the few to contribute to a goal today.

In a goal shy side he's actually our joint 2nd top scorer (a paltry 3 I accept, 5 including the FL trophy), despite only starting 10 games and being injured for the first few weeks of the season.

I don't know. We were abject today but people are picking him out like he was exceptionally dreadful, which he wasn't.

He's never going to be a hard brexit, blood and guts winger, but there's a player in there.

Edit: Thinking back, I have a similar view of Harness. People at games seem to despise the lad with every fibre of their being. To me, he isn't the problem. The problem is we have no competent goalkeepers, decrepit men seemingly guaranteed a start, Smith is regressing, and the squad urgently needs some investment.

The changes today:

Lainton- most fans were pleased before the game about this. The player was gash- not Aspin's fault.

Pugh dropped- most fans pleased before the game about this.

Wilson up front so Pope not alone- most fans pleased before the game about this.

Jules in- most fans pleased before the game about this.

Anderson dropped- the error. Most fans worried about this before the game. It meant a change of formation and, for twenty minutes it was like watching a Brown team. Negative Ray on R Sjoke called this correctly to be fair "One change too many".

Hopefully Jules will get better, we're desperate for a left footer! Hannant looked promising.

I hope never to see Montano in a Vale shirt again. I guarantee I would offer more wide left than that lazy useless lump.

I agree 100% but I'm sure Montano set our first goal up,but other than that he was utter rubbish and he wouldnt get a start for me,and it worries me Aspo thinks he should.

Exactly. Why was he out of contract? We wouldn’t be able to believe our luck if we signed another club’s first choice left back halfway through the season because they hadn’t tied him down to a proper deal months earlier.

Other clubs don’t do this, so why do we?

Oth clubs dont have our Norman as chairman.

Lainton 3 had nowt do yet the goals went in past him rather easily ,his kicking was ok but generally had nowt do

Gibbons 5 plenty of effort as usual but his quality isnt there at present and caught flat footed for there first goal.

Smith 4 a better second half but first half was a liability again.

jules 3 first game nerves looked nervous and edgy ,didnt do much right .

Kay 5 had a brilliant header and in the next wave of attack headed just past the post shame it didnt go in but along with a fair few others culpable for the two goals conceded.

Worrall 8 two great finishes and no lack of hard running .

Hannant 8 i enjoyed his performance a fighter a battler and played his part in keeping Vale in there half all second half.

Tenacious .

Montano 4 set up the goal but struggled get his game going .

Tonge 7 two good early efforts no lack of effort and kept us on the front foot all second half.

Pope 6

Wilson 2

Subs

Anderson 7

Whitfield 6

Forrester 7

Utv

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

We really have lost our way recently and App's attempt to shake things up by going 3 at the back backfired badly but let's be honest, most of us wanted changes and few people wanted another starting 11 with Pugh at left back. That said, what a disaster the two goals we conceded were. Their first just seemed to roll in past a hapless Lainton, maybe it bobbled on a divot but he didn't exactly make much of an effort to try and save it. Their second was as bad a goal as we're likely to concede all season. Jules, welcome to professional football, what was he thinking letting the ball float past him like that 5 seconds before the break? Should have been put in Row Z. To make things worse Lainton's attempt to save the shot was woeful, no excuses he should have saved it.

On the plus side at least we ground out a point which is a point further away from the trap door but it really is a case of back to the drawing board for Aspo. We know the team can do better and the left back problem has to be solved quickly.

Sent from my [device_name] using the http://onevalefan mobile app

I'm not his biggest fan but people singling out Montano seems slightly harsh.

He was played completely out of position at left wing back, and then as a standard left back, in the first half, and still got the assist for Worrall's first.

IMHO The dire state of the pitch affects the skill players like Montano and Whitfield, it's difficult to run with the ball on such a surface. Having said that Montano is inconsistent as most wingers of his type are and his languid style doesn't help his case either.

Agree with Hagrid and Paul6754 re: Monty. He was far from our worst player and yes the surface didn't help. Good ball for the first goal, and a couple of other positive runs led to corners. Other contributions less positive, and his languid style can frustrate.

Of far more concern is the goalkeeping position, where neither are good enough. In the last 2 home games we have seen simple shots allowed to bobble in, where an outfield player in the sticks would have had time to kick them clear (unless it was Jules!). Despite 2 poor performances it would have been 2 workmanlike scruffy wins and 4 more points.

Jules and Wilson might as well br sent back now - we haven't got the time or points cushion to allow them to grow into professional football. Jules stood like a statue on both goals, bringing back memories of Jermaine Holwyn v QPR all those years ago. Wilson looks like a competition being allowed a run round with real fotballers

Just seen the goals again

Second goal should have been saved, first cleared by about 6 players with Monty involved with both.

What was clear was again Tonge moaning his cock off at them for both as if he’s ******* Bobby Charlton. He needs to do more himself the penis.

Sent from my iPhone using onevalefan

Surely next week we have to bring in a natural left back and a central midfielder who can actually run and get about.

I am still struggling to see what Lainton offers more than Boot?

I thought Lainton would bring experience and command of a young defence in front of him but I was wrong, he didn't look interested. To think two seasons ago we were spoils for choice.

Trying hard to find any positively from yesterday, but here goes ... firstly aspo surely realises that we cannot play a back 3 again that includes jules. .... Lainton , can't possibly play that bad again (we hope )... hannant looking like a decent player and will only improve with more full time training. .. forrester looked like he had a point to prove after replacing that donkey Wilson (send him back )... Tonge, steady performance as usual. ... and finally Worrall, a bundle of energy linking midfield to attack ( would be a disaster if he left ).....oh , and sign that ball boy up on a three year contract 😆😆

Well that wasnt great was it? We looked a very poor imitation oF the side who played against Luton.

EASy to say with hindsight, but Aspin got the team badly wrong. To play with wing-backs, they need to be incredibly hard working, look at Valencia at Man Utd. What we have is Monty, a guy who doesn't deliver in his normal positions. It was 15 mins in before he touched the ball yesterday.

Jules looked terrible first half, defended better in the 2nd half but really is poor on the ball for a professional footballer. Wilson well... I can't actually remember Wilson doing anything, absolutely anonymous. I thought Hannatt was ok; the game passed him by a bit first half given the amount of time the ball was in the air but more involved 2nd half.

we are now in a real pickle regarding the goalkeeping situation. I didn't think Boot had done too much wrong but was prepared to give Lainton the benefit of the doubt for his experience. However, the guy seems to be made of glass. I felt worried that he would pull up after every single goal kick. I was half expecting that he would injur himself after our 3rd sub had been made it was that sort of day. Should have done better with both goals IMO. So what does Aspin do now? Personally, I'd reinstate Boot although it will destroy Laintons confidence.

My team for next game at Swindon would be

Boot

Pugh-Anderson-Smith-Davis

Worrall-Hannatt-Kay-Gibbons

Whitfield- Pope

We have a truly appalling record at Swindle and is a place we can't afford any passengers. I though Davis was incredibly unfortunate to get dropped and Gibbons is more than capable of playing in front of him and will get back to cover him.

Well that wasnt great was it? We looked a very poor imitation oF the side who played against Luton.

EASy to say with hindsight, but Aspin got the team badly wrong. To play with wing-backs, they need to be incredibly hard working, look at Valencia at Man Utd. What we have is Monty, a guy who doesn't deliver in his normal positions. It was 15 mins in before he touched the ball yesterday.

Jules looked terrible first half, defended better in the 2nd half but really is poor on the ball for a professional footballer. Wilson well... I can't actually remember Wilson doing anything, absolutely anonymous. I thought Hannatt was ok; the game passed him by a bit first half given the amount of time the ball was in the air but more involved 2nd half.

we are now in a real pickle regarding the goalkeeping situation. I didn't think Boot had done too much wrong but was prepared to give Lainton the benefit of the doubt for his experience. However, the guy seems to be made of glass. I felt worried that he would pull up after every single goal kick. I was half expecting that he would injur himself after our 3rd sub had been made it was that sort of day. Should have done better with both goals IMO. So what does Aspin do now? Personally, I'd reinstate Boot although it will destroy Laintons confidence.

My team for next game at Swindon would be

Boot

Pugh-Anderson-Smith-Davis

Worrall-Hannatt-Kay-Gibbons

Whitfield- Pope

We have a truly appalling record at Swindle and is a place we can't afford any passengers. I though Davis was incredibly unfortunate to get dropped and Gibbons is more than capable of playing in front of him and will get back to cover him.

Swindle is 3 games away, next up is Morecambe at home then Cheltenham away.

Archived