onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Ultimate Vale XI: the strikers

robf

Select your ultimate Port Vale strike duo?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Select your ultimate Port Vale strike duo?

• Wilf Kirkham
    • Martin Foyle
    • Tony Naylor
    • Andy Jones
    • Darren Beckford
    • Tom Nolan
    • Tom Pope
    • Bobby Blood
    • Ronnie Allen

Better late than never here (after a lengthy delay) is the the next vote in our ultimate XI vote... This links in with our feature which is here - http://www.onevalefan.co.uk/2017/10/ultimate-port-vale-xi-the-strikers/

IMPORTANT NOTE: You are allowed to vote multiple times on this vote as it is for two members of the team. However, we ask all users to play fair and ONLY vote for two players. Thanks!

Rules:

1. This thread will have a poll attached containing the list of our shortlisted players. This makes it fair and stops any outside influences (Stoke fans, we're looking at you!) from trying to influence the poll as only registered forum users can vote.

2. OVF will provide a shortlist of players that we think are suitable candidates. However, if we have missed a candidate out and you make a compelling case for their inclusion PM robf and if agreed he will add them to the poll.

3. A player will appear in their most common position (e.g. Neil Aspin played right-back but is more familiar as a centre-half; Robbie Earle played as a striker but is best-known as a midfielder)

4. The formation for the best-ever XI is a classic 4-4-2 formation

5. A player must have played 50 first-team games for the Valiants to qualify

The Shortlist:

Remember you can PM robf if you think we've missed a candidate out!

Wilf Kirkham: although no current Vale fans will have seen him how could we leave out the club's all-time record scorer? Thirteen competitive hat-tricks is a potent symbol of his quality.

Martin Foyle: and moving on to the club's second highest scorer... Foyle was more than a mere goal machine though - his build-up play also marked him out as Vale Park legend... memorable goals against Stoke don't harm his cause either!

Tony Naylor: another striker with the ability to change a game, Naylor scored 89 goals for the club with many of them regarded as some of the finest goals fans have seen. The one against Sunderland is possibly the best goal seen at Vale Park.

Andy Jones: the OVF editor's favourite player was a barn-storming centre-forward who was a goal machine. Nine goals in two successive home games tells its own story...

Darren Beckford: the striker took his time to find his scoring boots but when he did he guaranteed goals and he was top-scorer for four consecutive seasons.

Tom Nolan: noted for his "cannonball" shots, Nolan netted 94 goals for the club before WW2 brought a premature end to his football career.

Tom Pope: we can't forget him. A Vale fan who fired the club to promotion in 2013, Pope is creeping up the club's all-time scoring lists and we feel he is deserved contender.

Bobby Blood: with a record of 47 goals in just 66 games we can't leave this guy out. Injured in the war, Bob was told he'd never play the game and defied the critics. He also once hit a penalty so hard that the goalkeeper broke his wrist trying to save it. Wow!

Ronnie Allen: a homegrown striker who was so good he would later play for England, Allen was sold to West Brom for a club record fee and would break Vale hearts with the winner in the FA Cup semi-final defeat.

IMPORTANT NOTE: You are allowed to vote multiple times on this vote as it is for two members of the team. However, we ask all users to play fair and ONLY vote for two players. Thanks!

Advert

Personally, I'd like Steve Brooker alongside Nippy - Brooker scored around 1 in 4, but his work rate was immense! Also - no Roy Chapman (1 in 2)? I remember Roy scoring a hat trick which included a run from inside his own half to beat the keeper! Nippy, for me, has to be one of the two - and, yes, the goal against Sunderland (televised?) where he skinned their player on the touchline, cut inside and curled a shot (Thierry Henry-like) into the far side of the net (3 - 1 win?) was one of the best I've seen down VP!! And it's really difficult to leave out Tin and the Jones boy!

Can’t believe Rico isn’t shortlisted given his superb record.

That said I’d be going for Kirkham as his record is stunning along with Andy Jones who if he’d stayed would probably have smashed Kirkham’s record. Let’s not forget he played in a poor team and scored bucket loads, if he’d have stayed for a few seasons into the 90’s when we enjoyed our most recent heyday he’d have been absolutely sensational.

Sent from my iPhone using onevalefan

For me it has to be Andy Jones and Ronnie Allen both became international strikers surely would have broke all records for the vale if they had stayed.Just a few more names that i have had the good fortune to see in a vale shirt.Barnett,Llewellyn,Longbottom,Cheeseborough,Mudie,Tony Richards,Moss,Newton,and late in his career Greenhoff.

Folks, one of the problems of creating a shortlist is precisely who do you leave out. I didn't want a 50 option poll which is why the list is the length it is. However, remember it's a bit of a fun that's all.

Also (and I think this is important to say at this point) the Ultimate Vale XI doesn't end here! I am also going to be looking for a sub's bench and manager.

I think as the midfield and striker positions are so contented many of the players who miss out on the two starting positions could still make the bench.

Bit difficult as I've only seen one of them play in person properly, & he's still turning out for us :smile:

I've watched plenty of games & highlights to probably choose Naylor & Foyle, but I would have liked to have seen some more recent ones on there.

In my time though, which is since 2001, I'd say the best pairing up front I ever saw was probably the 03/04 Brooker & McPhee partnership.

For me it was the Tin Man plus a.n. Other. Aside from his goal scoring record he was a very intelligent player, who adapted his game over the years to accomodate and form several successful partnerships.

Alongside him I will go for Beckford for his sheer consistency of goal scoring over 4 seasons as we won promotion and then consolidated our position in The Championship, taking over as the Cities top dogs!

(A) My Favourite Player, Jack Wilkinson Centre Forward - The best header of a ball.

Sheff Utd ; 29 apps, 16 goals

Joined Port Vale in June 1957, and helped the Vale to win the Fourth Division title in 1958–59.

80 appearances for us, 39 goals. ( A goal every two games )

(He was the No 9 in my Subbuteo Team)

(B) Tony Naylor A little feller but a Great Player.

Can we have Andy Jones upfront twice? Never has a player brought me so much joy. I think I had a bit of crush. That night in Wrexham when he made his international debut. I was a kid, listening on the radio and then watching highlights on telly. Sure there was more Vale there than welsh!

Tough to judge Kirkham as I have never even seen footage of him playing.

Constantine was a player way ahead of Pope at his best. Pope was average in his league 1 season for us and has only done the goods in league 2.

For that reason Foyle and Naylor are the obvious choices. Two greats who did it year after year in the 2nd tier. The standard of football back then was untouchable to anything since.

Archived