onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

England talk

TylerB

After two completely uninspiring and painful to watch performances I'm interested in what others have to say, and what some of your starting 11's and formations would be.

For me our main problem was playing at the wrong tempo. The build up is so slow, and the amount of times the ball is knocked from one side of the pitch to the other in straight lines is just staggering. Now it's never easy when playing against a side that even when a goal down continue to play with 10 men behind the ball, as Lithuania did. But in these games that's when you really need to be direct and pass the ball quickly. Henderson in a Liverpool shirt I'm fine with, but for England he looks terrified and plays it safe far too much. Dela Alli slows up play far too much also and doesn't deserve his place in the side if you go by his previous 18 games in an England shirt.

For me, I'd like to see something like this - (3-5-2 Wing Backs)

Butland

Cahill

Stones

Jones

Walker

Wilshere

Dier

Lallana

Rose

Rashford

Kane

Subs:

Hart

Trippier

Bertrand

Delph

Winks

Sterling

Vardy

Lallana, Wilshere and Winks can all beat a player and also pass the ball forwards. A fit Lallana and Wilshere are a big miss in games like the one on Sunday where the opposition is only interested in defending. Rashford has his moments on the wing but by playing him as a genuine forward he would also ease the pressure on Kane, and also give him more space to do his thing as Rashford would occupy the oppositions centre-backs. I think Eric Dier is also somewhat fortunate to keep his place, but his main competition for the holding role, Fabian Delph, is currently playing as a wing-back for his club. But he at least adds some height to the side and is a danger from and with set-pieces.

Southgate is an honest and likeable enough bloke but also dull as dishwater, and I don't see how he can really inspire the team or give confidence to the players that they so badly lack when they pull on the national shirt.

Advert

id go

Butland

Walker

Cahill

Stones

Rose

Henderson

Dier

rashford

Ali

Sterling

Kane.

Think we will struggle to get out of the groups with Southgate in charge. I actually think we could hurt sides on the counter with the pace we have down the wing but Southgate seems to prefer this dreadfully slow build up which dosent suit us.

id go

Butland

Walker

Cahill

Stones

Rose

Henderson

Dier

rashford

Ali

Sterling

Kane.

Think we will struggle to get out of the groups with Southgate in charge. I actually think we could hurt sides on the counter with the pace we have down the wing but Southgate seems to prefer this dreadfully slow build up which dosent suit us.

It's hard to play counter attacking football when the other team have ten men behind the ball?

England talk - we are crap minus Kane, Ali and Butland (possibly Walker too) and will be shown up again next summer.

God it’s depressing watching consistently underperforming players such as Henderson and Sterling represent us.

After scoring a great goal on his debut Alli has been dog **** in an England shirt. 2 goals in 19 games for someone who scores every other week for Spurs is embarrassing.

After scoring a great goal on his debut Alli has been dog **** in an England shirt. 2 goals in 19 games for someone who scores every other week for Spurs is embarrassing.

And yet you put Wilshire in your team who can’t even get a game in his team and that Bournemouth didn’t want back. Shows how abysmal our squad is.

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

We should certainly play 2 centre forwards against weaker opposition plus I would play winks and Wilshire and leave out Dier and Henderson when playing teams like Lithuania.

If Southgate was a league manager he would be managing a mid table championship team, we need better if we want to do well in major tournaments.

That team does not inspire me, Cahill and Stones will get caught out frequently. You could not get two more ineffective midfielders than Dier and Henderson all they do is go sideways and back. Winks looks promising, but the problem is that promising English players do not get a chance in the Premier league.

id go

Butland

Walker

Cahill

Stones

Rose

Henderson

Dier

rashford

Ali

Sterling

Kane.

Tend to agree.

We have struggled for many years to produce some truly world class players. Our lads are not given the opportunity to develop in the first team because most clubs are owned or managed by foreigners and prefer to spend £30m on johnny foreigner and put him straight into the first team than develop a young English talent and give them 18 months to flourish. It doesn't happen.

We don't have any midfielders with the guile, skill, technical ability, class, whatever you want to call it of a Silva or a Mata or an Ozil. Our lads give the ball away too cheaply and can't see a slide rule pass if one hit them in the face. The lad Silva is a joy to watch and light years ahead of anything we've got. And I'm not even sure he's guaranteed a place in Spain's best XI!

That team does not inspire me, Cahill and Stones will get caught out frequently. You could not get two more ineffective midfielders than Dier and Henderson all they do is go sideways and back. Winks looks promising, but the problem is that promising English players do not get a chance in the Premier league.

I'd have Henderson and dier sitting deep to allow the wing backs to push on and the 4 front players to stay up there. It is a poor side though I just think we're generally pretty poor.

It's hard to play counter attacking football when the other team have ten men behind the ball?

There were opportunities to counter against Lithuania and we didn't. There was a few occasions in which they had 5 men forward yet when we got the ball passed it slowly. Hopefully against Brazil and Germany we try this more.

The last few England teams have lacked quality in midfield, the pairing of Henderson and Dier slow the play down, play one but not both, Sterling's end product is woeful. Southgate should add the likes of Barkley, Shelvey and Everton's Tom Davies into the mix and experiment in the pre-tournament friendlies, there's a match winner in Barkley somewhere, Shelvey is capable of match winning passes and can score from distance and I like the look of Davies, a bit like Nobby Stiles with skill.

If we can get the ball to Rashford and/or Kane we should do OK but I don't have any great expectaions about Russia 2018.

Center of defense is a concern but I expect Southgate will go with two from Cahill/Stones/Jones.

The last few England teams have lacked quality in midfield, the pairing of Henderson and Dier slow the play down, play one but not both, Sterling's end product is woeful. Southgate should add the likes of Barkley, Shelvey and Everton's Tom Davies into the mix and experiment in the pre-tournament friendlies, there's a match winner in Barkley somewhere, Shelvey is capable of match winning passes and can score from distance and I like the look of Davies, a bit like Nobby Stiles with skill.

If we can get the ball to Rashford and/or Kane we should do OK but I don't have any great expectaions about Russia 2018.

Center of defense is a concern but I expect Southgate will go with two from Cahill/Stones/Jones.

The problem is Barkley and Davies aren’t playing for a poor Everton side.

Archived