I would not have thought that Askey has achieved enough in non league to warrant consideration. But what do I know?

As I've said on here a lot, picking a new manager is like pinning a tail on a donkey blindfolded. It's a shot in the dark and a hiding to nothing.

We all have to start somewhere. And experience is no guarantee of success. Caldwell and Wilson both have abject failure written all over their recent CVs. The new lads at Lincoln have done really well. Rudge was an unknown before coming here. Adams failed abysmally at Tranmere. No-one knows what could happen.

I do tend towards an experienced guy who knows the ropes because the only thing that bothers me now is us staying up next May. I'd take third bottom now.

But picking the next manage is very hard and very risky and not an easy task.

2 or 3 people have advised Askey though, the bloke on radio stoke on a Saturday World of Sport around 1:30 said he was the man for the job last week before Brown was sacked. You would assume Adams would have recommended him or certainly not been against it if hes the DOF.

It wont be easy, Vale are a fairly big fish at its lowest ebb in league two and pressure will be on. If he is negative in how he sets teams up that suggests he has his teams well drilled and organised which (today aside apparently) we have been dire with this season. Opposition fans have generally commented that we have some good players that you can see are decent but look massively disorganised.

He might with Adams on board be the man who can sort it. I think thats key as MA does have the experience to help him.

2 or 3 people have advised Askey though, the bloke on radio stoke on a Saturday World of Sport around 1:30 said he was the man for the job last week before Brown was sacked. You would assume Adams would have recommended him or certainly not been against it if hes the DOF.

It wont be easy, Vale are a fairly big fish at its lowest ebb in league two and pressure will be on. If he is negative in how he sets teams up that suggests he has his teams well drilled and organised which (today aside apparently) we have been dire with this season. Opposition fans have generally commented that we have some good players that you can see are decent but look massively disorganised.

He might with Adams on board be the man who can sort it. I think thats key as MA does have the experience to help him.

Yeah , mickey has the experience of taking tranmere into non league & askey managing in non league ... sweet

Not sure who people expect us to get right now. People like Adkins, Coleman, ainsworth and cotteril are pie in the sky, some because they won't drop to the basement of league 2, others because there is no reason to move from where they are. My choice would be aspin though. Maybe Powell is another possibility with him being out of a job. But even that's probably a long shot. We had the chance to appoint a number of better candidates than we will have now when Adams left, then page, then Bruno. We had our chances. We have less options now.

Edited by Andyregs

I was thinking along the same lines. I think if Mickey comes in as DoF then it might just work, but without him we need to be looking at someone with lower league experience not none league

This is pushing fans loyalty to the limit.

Dare I ask what would the basis of his appointment? Garlics's hunch? Sproson's "advice"? Adams' "consultancy?"

If true, I ******* despair.

How can micky Adams help him out?.. by talking to him?

Adams won't be on the training ground all week will he?

If it's askey it'll be a brave move by Norman I thought he wanted to walk back into the club as if nothing happened and this appointment won't go down too well.

This is the 3rd suicidal appointment from Norman in the space of about 18 months.

We will be relegated if Askey is appointed. He will be sacked in January!

Why can't Norman just appoint a proper league manager?

can't understand the askey huggers, we'll be playing them next season.

I'm in this boat, what's he done ?

What's he achieved? If this is true, what s crap, cheap, typical smugwaite appointment.

experience costs money i cant see norman spending a lot on an experienced manager :(

the next manager is the most important in the history of PVFC he gets it wrong and we will slip from the EFL i hope hes going all out to get somebody with Lg1 & Lg2 experience i really do

This is pushing fans loyalty to the limit.

Dare I ask what would the basis of his appointment? Garlics's hunch? Sproson's "advice"? Adams' "consultancy?"

If true, I ******* despair.

My thoughts entirely. Why Askey? Why? Is this the height of our ambition? Why appoint a non-league manager to a situation he will NEVER have managed before? Why take such a risk with the club's future? Why not a more experienced league manager who has been there and done it? Why would you want to do this unless you were preparing us for life in the National League?

More to the point, would Norman like to speak up and tell us the reasons for this grand appointment? Would his advisers like to justify their advice? Would they like to tell us who else, among the rumoured 60+ applicants, applied for the job and was turned down?

You may own the club for the time being, Norman, but you are just the temporary custodian. We have been here for decades and this club is part of our lives, our identity and our community. We deserve better than this.

My thoughts entirely. Why Askey? Why? Is this the height of our ambition? Why appoint a non-league manager to a situation he will NEVER have managed before? Why take such a risk with the club's future? Why not a more experienced league manager who has been there and done it? Why would you want to do this unless you were preparing us for life in the National League?

More to the point, would Norman like to speak up and tell us the reasons for this grand appointment? Would his advisers like to justify their advice? Would they like to tell us who else, among the rumoured 60+ applicants, applied for the job and was turned down?

You may own the club for the time being, Norman, but you are just the temporary custodian. We have been here for decades and this club is part of our lives, our identity and our community. We deserve better than this.

Take a chill pill and stop responding to BS

This is the 3rd suicidal appointment from Norman in the space of about 18 months.

Yes, first a manager with NO experience of the English Football League; then a former player with NO experience of ever managing before; and now, apparently, a manager with NO experience of league football. Get the common thread?

So you're right, why can't we have a proper league manager? It's not that difficult.

It's just tittle tattle gossip, you are talking like he's been appointed.

That said I will agree with you if it does happen 😂

I think we are in a situation where beggars can't be choosers. Some of the names bandied about on OVF have been crazy. People like Pearson, Cotterill and Co would demand high six figure salaries, we simply couldn't afford them. Blokes like Coleman, Ainsworth and Co are in decent jobs at stable, well run clubs - why would they leave to come to the basket case that is Vale? The club is now one of the three worst in the EFL and has an owner whose reputation in football is far from brilliant. Christ on a bike, we'll be lucky to get some youth from the Job Centre to take us on at the moment.

Well if you say enough times it will be so

You're drinking in the last chance Vale saloon.

You've got to make this the right appointment and make it look like the right one.

I think we are in a situation where beggars can't be choosers. Some of the names bandied about on OVF have been crazy. People like Pearson, Cotterill and Co would demand high six figure salaries, we simply couldn't afford them. Blokes like Coleman, Ainsworth and Co are in decent jobs at stable, well run clubs - why would they leave to come to the basket case that is Vale? The club is now one of the three worst in the EFL and has an owner whose reputation in football is far from brilliant. Christ on a bike, we'll be lucky to get some youth from the Job Centre to take us on at the moment.

With respect that such a small minded and short term mentality.

We are one of the biggest clubs in our league and have just suffered from three dreadful recent managers.

Hopefully Micky in tandem with Powell or Ainsworth can get us back to where we once belonged 😉