onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retaining players

Emile

Agree with darren. Taylor was very very disappointing aside from his penalties and the neat finish again Shrewsbury(always nice to beat them from my point of view at least so cheers Ryan!) but otherwise he looked disinterested.

I expected a few decent set piece deliveries to say the least but saw very little of them despite his record in that department

Advert

Ryan ******* Taylor. Total embarrassment of a player who we all had the misfortune of seeing in our colours. No desire to play for the club whatsoever, his constantly dreadful set pieces and showboating (kick ups) when 2-0 down at bottom of the table Coventry will never be forgotten.

Bikey and Eagles are the only two on that lost who should've been offered anything.

You might well find that a full pre-season training could make the world of difference to all these players. None of them were remotely match fit when they played for us and we're also talking now about dropping down a division. I'd quite like them all to stay here, and if Purkiss goes Taylor could be a good replacement.

Players who do not have the benefit of a full pre-season training and haven't played for weeks and weeks are not the same as those that have. Eagles for example was poor at first but improved a lot the more games he played.

Sorry but wanting to keep this on topic.

Why is it that for two years in a row we put a retain list out and the players offered deals respond with complete apathy?

Money?

Dislike of the club?

Ambition?

For those that believe its just timing, have a look at everyone elses retained lists. Majority of players offered deals have said yes or no by now. The deadline for them to accept deals has passed without a SINGLE pro player agreeing a deal.

Why is it that for two years in a row we put a retain list out and the players offered deals respond with complete apathy?

Money?

Dislike of the club?

Ambition?

For those that believe its just timing, have a look at everyone elses retained lists. Majority of players offered deals have said yes or no by now. The deadline for them to accept deals has passed without a SINGLE pro player agreeing a deal.

They're not out of contract till Sunday. If no better offers come in then circumstances (i.e. they're not being paid) just might convince them to put pen to paper.

Some may have verbally agreed but be away such as Eagles in Portugal.

I would keep Taylor though as should be an asset in League Two with a full pre-season. Considering he didn't enjoy the MLS experience in the winter I cant see anyone else signing him above us currently.

I think one of the big factors over the last couple of years thats seen players go is the reduction in money.

Plus players will hang on as long as possible to decide where to go. They'll be playing the market hoping to be able play at as high a level as possible or to get more money from a move.

The reality is that players at our level, whilst on a good wage don't earn enough to comfortably retire on when they finish. So I don't blame them one bit for making the most of it as they have to go on and do something else after.

Money?

Dislike of the club?

Ambition?

I don't understand why anyone would look at the club and want to sign for us. If we were fruit, we'd be rotten. Obviously players will come if they can't get anything better but I honestly can't think of anything positive about Port Vale at the moment. Impoverished and declining/ dying fanbase, in disarray off the pitch, rookie manager who got us relegated playing poor 'huff and puff' football... And then there's Norman. The leaking of players' wages, the slating of the fanbase, the strong rumour that he'd planned to sack a previous manager live on TV, the proud admission that he'd manipulated players' contracts to get rid of them. The way I feel at the moment, I wouldn't go down to Burslem to watch us play if it were free. Why would players want to sign a new contract with us?

I think one of the big factors over the last couple of years thats seen players go is the reduction in money.

Plus players will hang on as long as possible to decide where to go. They'll be playing the market hoping to be able play at as high a level as possible or to get more money from a move.

The reality is that players at our level, whilst on a good wage don't earn enough to comfortably retire on when they finish. So I don't blame them one bit for making the most of it as they have to go on and do something else after.

Fan base and reduced payments at a lower level mean we have to pay lower wages, plus the chairman won't be putting in more loans. As soon as you look at players from a club higher up we will be offering a pay cut - so they will hang on to see if they can get a better offer than take a wage cut. Better players from division 2 will be hoping to get a deal higher up the pyramid. To a degree that's the reality of our position.

Archived