onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retaining players

Emile

Advert

It's nearly a year since Forrester's last goal isn't it? I don't think he scored after about the fourth game last year.

I agree, just my opinion that he is decent when fit which is a rarity. 4 games in 8 out, 3 games in, 7 games out, his season was all bitty and the gamble to sign him looks mis-placed but i just think IF and it is a big IF he could stay fit he might be ok in League 2.

Think that really says a lot about the current situation at the club. Two years in a row nobody wants to sign a contract. Last year we were told we were trying to get players out of the club and look where it got us. This year?

Quite a few factors really. Players offered reduced terms. We've been relegated which makes us less attactive. Other clubs make better offers or are in a higher league. I also don't think you can underestimate the uncertainty of the club in terms of it's sale and the chairmans actions too.

Quite a few factors really. Players offered reduced terms. We've been relegated which makes us less attactive. Other clubs make better offers or are in a higher league. I also don't think you can underestimate the uncertainty of the club in terms of it's sale and the chairmans actions too.

I think it's simple enough. We don't want to pay players a proper wage. They sign on a small deal which we say will get bigger as they improve and then don't follow that offer up. Think the club is being completely mismanaged.

Happy to eat my hat if we are above midtable next season

Sent from my Moto G (4) using the onevalefan mobile app

So excluding the first years (who probably won't feature at all), & Knops who Brown has ruled out for the season, I count:

GK: Ryan Boot, Rob Lainton, Sam Hornby

DF: James Gibbons, Nathan Smith, Graham Kelly, Joe Davis, Anthony Kay

MF: Billy Reeves, Danny Pugh, Anthony de Freitas, Michael Brown, Cristian Montano

FW: Anton Forrester, Dan Turner, Tom Pope

16 players. Ideally, we need roughly another first choice striker, 3 first choice midfield (2 centre & a winger) & 2 first choice defenders, which makes 21. Add to that Yates & one or two more for back-up.

Personally think Forrester could be great at this level and score goals if we can get him fit. Big IF but I think he showed a lot of potential in the early stages of last season before he started to get injured every other minute. Praying he's not another Lee Matthews!

Sent from my iPad using the onevalefan mobile app

Out of that lot, and again all down to personal opinion i see the following as first choice starters fitness and suspensions out of the equation

Lainton

Smith Kay

Pugh or De Freitas Montano

Forrester Pope

I include Forrester as i genuinely think there is a player in there, had crap injuries, rushed back too quickly maybe or just one of those Sturridge types who pulls a hamstring tying his laces?

That means 4 first team starters needed not chancers or might be but actually READY for the first 11 .

I would add Reeves to your list as well. I can see him playing alongside Pugh with De Frietas joining in the middle from the right how Lofty used to on the left.

Sent from my iPad using the onevalefan mobile app

As July dawns upon us and a lot of players up and down the country will be out of contract this evening i am wondering whether the mass culling of anything foreign may come back to bite us on the bum.

Feel free to differ with my opinion that is what this forum is for, i am thinking that the substantial pay outs to one or two of them could of been avoided if Brown was willing to give them a chance ( which clearly he wasn't ) .

Cold light of day we are now a League 2 side, despite pulling up no trees whatsover and thinking of the bigger picture due to budget restraints does anyone else think despite their failings that Tavares Reggie or Kiko could maybe have been seen in a better light in League 2 and saved us a lot of money ?

As i say only my opinion but i reckon a conservative estimate is 50 grand plus to pay the 3 of them up, probably more. We could have had 3 less players to sign and more money in the pot.

As i said none of them pulled up any trees and at times were garbage, just offering my thoughts that they MAY of been okay this season.

I think it's simple enough. We don't want to pay players a proper wage. They sign on a small deal which we say will get bigger as they improve and then don't follow that offer up.

The contract is the contract that they sign up for. They all have their basic wage and then bonuses on top for cup runs, promotions, appearances, clean sheets, goals. At times the contract will contain wage rises based on the number of appearances they make - thats the written way of saying improve and you get a rise, because clearly if they are playing then they are doing something right in the eyes of the manager, but theres no wooley verbals like "get better and maybe we'll raise your wages", everything is in black and white.

Archived