onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Newspaper of the year

JOHNNYAITCH

You are trying hard to get a response JA so I'll reply!

Being to the left of centre necessarily means that I don't rate the Mail at all, apart from it's use as toilet paper, container for fish and chips, or lining a budgie's cage.:wink: But it's good value for money, has some useful sections - like sport and finance - and it's TV magazine at weekends is second to none.

I find it far too right wing for my liking - way over the top at times. For example, its attack on the Supreme Court judges was deplorable.

I can see why some might like it ( like Kim jong-un:shutup:) but it's very biased.

the claim that some of the judges were biased was true especially those whose law firms were in the eu,self interest will always rule like my heart says yes but my wallet says no.

Advert

the claim that some of the judges were biased was true especially those whose law firms were in the eu,self interest will always rule like my heart says yes but my wallet says no.
If self interest rules there can never be independent judges? Thus that was why there was a panel of judges to pick the bones out of written documents and to give a majority decision. Its conclusion had nothing directly to do with the EU only whether parliament was supreme.

Can anyone explain what became of the Express, which was always my favourite paper. They always had the Vale's results in there , when played on Monday nights , and I really enjoyed reading it. Now , it''s just like the Sun. Online at least.

They just talk about Princess Diana and the weather now, Sean.

Can anyone explain what became of the Express, which was always my favourite paper. They always had the Vale's results in there , when played on Monday nights , and I really enjoyed reading it. Now , it''s just like the Sun. Online at least.

Yes, I too remember the Vale reports on Tuesday mornings. It covered the lower leagues well in those days.

Sadly, I think most papers have gone for the lowest common denominator and by filling their pages with smut, outrageous stories, celebrities and storm warnings, they get more readers.

The Mail and its sidebar of shame hit the jackpot and a lot of the press have followed their lead. Even the Telegraph started joining in to an extent a few years ago, but as you say some of the rubbish in all the tabloids beggars belief.

One of the worst aspects nowadays seems to be stories about animals being slaughtered. Horrible stuff for daily papers!

But as FUA remarked earlier, each to his own.

Interesting comments

I know those that loathe it really loathe it but I don't recognise the newspaper they describe. But then I read it cover to cover every day so I see the full range of its stories, editorials, articles etc and so get the full picture and genuinely believe those that don't read if avidly and fully simply don't get certain aspects of it.....how can they? I totally accept that at times it gets it very wrong but then which newspaper doesn't..whether it be the Sun with Hilsborough or the Mirror with stories of British soldiers torturing prisoners.

Anyway the award is a remarkable achievement based mainly on its various campaigns and coverage of issues such as Brexit and I'll happily carry on buying it as well as my 3 other daily papers.

I don't intend to make any more comments on this but I look fwd to reading what others have to say

Interesting comments

I know those that loathe it really loathe it but I don't recognise the newspaper they describe. But then I read it cover to cover every day so I see the full range of its stories, editorials, articles etc and so get the full picture and genuinely believe those that don't read if avidly and fully simply don't get certain aspects of it.....how can they? I totally accept that at times it gets it very wrong but then which newspaper doesn't..whether it be the Sun with Hilsborough or the Mirror with stories of British soldiers torturing prisoners.

Anyway the award is a remarkable achievement based mainly on its various campaigns and coverage of issues such as Brexit and I'll happily carry on buying it as well as my 3 other daily papers.

I don't intend to make any more comments on this but I look fwd to reading what others have to say

I always read a paper back to front so no issues with the mail , having said that The Mirror has to be the best as the quick crossword is the only one i can do and only takes me a few hours ()-; :laugh:

The sports coverage in the Mail is always very good - I particularly like Martin Samuels' column. I regard editor Paul Dacre as one of the most unpleasant men on the planet, however - his constant ad hominem attacks on people whose arguments he cannot contradict is despicable.

Daily Mail named newspaper of the year at annual press awards. Well deserved...especially the thought provoking columnists and the excellent sports coverage. Some of its campaigns (bullying in cycling and the witchunt against British soldiers for example} deserve much praise. Some of it deserves no praise but no newspaper is perfect.

I await the criticism of it from those that don't read it as well as praise and criticism from those that do :wink:

Despite the wink, I rather think you'd like a facility in OVF where you could write the replies for a few Mail critics, you'd write what you think they'd say rather than what they actually think, then have a good argument with them.

I have to tell you that I do read it fairly often, as I try to read most newspapers from time to time.

There are some notable campaigns including the 2 you mentioned, and I remember they named Peter Tatchell as the bravest man in Britain and cant be sure but I think he was also their 'Man of the Year'. Quite brave themselves, as most of their readers despise him.

Their sports and puzzles are quite good too.

I'm not going to bother criticising their political bias, we all know it is there and that's all there is to say.

I do hope that those who read it also have a peek at Russia Today, Al Jazeera and the Guardian, the Morning Star and lots of green party literature before making up their minds on issues though.

I will criticise their endless weather and medical 'exclusives' though - both they and the Daily Express warn us of Arctic blasts, hottest summer for 900 years, fearful storms and potential climatic doom every 2 weeks or so.

We also have stories on Statins saving millions of lives one week, then causing diabetes the next, then being touted by top medical brains before they are again declared dangerous days later.

If any of you agree that it is 'Newspaper of the year' then I'm very happy for you, after all they say ignorance is bliss, well something like that anyway.

ps Just an afterthought - if Smurf were a newspaper, he'd probably be the Mail.

I believe the Sun is the only newspaper that has a report on every PL and FL match.Their Monday 'Goals' pullout is pleasure to read and covers the SPL,the NL,European and World football.

I believe the Sun is the only newspaper that has a report on every PL and FL match.Their Monday 'Goals' pullout is pleasure to read and covers the SPL,the NL,European and World football.

The sun's 2or 3 paragraph reports on lower league games are useless and don't tell you much more than who scored and when, with a tiny quote if you are lucky.

Much better to buy the FOOTBALL LEAGUE PAPER for £1-50 on a Sunday, with full page in-depth reports, quotes, massive stats and interviews, a great read. Also there is a non-league paper for fans of smaller clubs, which goes down to very small teams and is also fascinating for really committed fans.

But this thread is about the Mail- cant remember when they last had a Vale report of any sort.

Interesting comments

All uk newspapers without exception are masters of perception management and as long as the sheepeople keep buying into that then things wont change soon

• 2 weeks later...
A Daily Mail front page that declared “Forget about Brexit, who won Legs-it!” next to a photograph of Scottish first minister Nicola Sturgeon and British prime minister Theresa May has prompted widespread outrage.

Inside the paper there was was more ogling at the female leaders, with a headline reading: “Finest weapons at their command? Those pins!” A column by Sarah Vine referred to Sturgeon’s legs as “altogether more flirty, tantalisingly crossed … a direct attempt at seduction”.

The front page, which appeared on Twitter on Monday night, met with instant criticism from politicians and the public.

There's your newspaper of the year.

shit.jpg

******* pathetic.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/mar/28/daily-mail-legs-it-front-page-sexist

Archived