onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Matchday Thread: Port Vale v Shrewsbury

Fosse69

Advert

Weren't there any cash turnstiles?

Yes....a virtually redundant one.

Just for a change, no-one had thought it through! Three turnstiles for tickets and season-tickets reduced to one for cash and two for ticket holders = the vast majority queuing to get in.

So people queued once to buy a ticket and again to get in. The lack of nous among the stewards meant dozens of people tried to get through the cash turnstile until the A4 "cash only" sign (invisible in the dark) was pointed out to them.

Quite how we **** it up with a home crowd of 4000 I don't know!

Anyway that aside it was a great night. Not a great performance but 100% effort all-round, both on the pitch and in the stands. If we're gonna do this, we're gonna do it together.

Battling performance in difficult conditions, poor first half with little quality, excellent 2nd goal, two things stood out for me, one the spirit of the team and the will to win, and secondly we don't have a goalkeeper.

We do, he was the big guy in the bright green top standing at one end of the pitch with 1 on his back.

Great win, I was knackered just watching and I only listened on the radio too. Many of these players played only 48 hours earlier, Shrewsbury had the comfort of a week of rest.

2 things I'd like to add. The poor response of the away fans when Guy went off and limped past them, not a one clapped at all just took the ****.

Just before the corner, Foley took an age to tie his boot laces, so much so that I thought that he'd need someone to do them for him. Was this a ploy to get unnoticed and unmarked for the goal. If so well done Vale.

Even though there was probably less than 4000 Vale fans there tonight, the atmosphere for large portions of the game was superb. Shows that if the players show commitment on the pitch the fans can match it in the stands.

Hope it continues over these next 10 huge games.

Well, great 3 points and very pleased we managed to see the game out. Can't be too critical of the lack of a clean sheet...was right behind Dodds shoot and no goalie on the planet would have got to it, straight in the top corner. Fair play.

First 60 mins was saw some of the worst football I've seen from two sides, but again, can't be too critical because of the atrocious conditions. The ball boys were easily the busiest people on the pitch.

The first goal totally changed the game. Great set-piece delivery and header from a very contentiously awarded corner. Is that the moment our luck changed?? The second goal was brilliantly worked and tucked away nicely by Taylor.

I have to admit I was worried before we scored as I literally could not see where a goal was coming from having lost Forrester. I think Turner did do ok and chased around, but his inexperience showed at times. Likewise Reeves, though both offer encouragement for the future. Maybe Brown thought the conditions weren't right for Shodipo and Reggie, so we'll give him the benefit of the doubt on that one.

The goalie didn't have a lot to do, though he got nowhere near a corner he ted to punch 1st half. His kicking generally seemed better though. As I said, no chance with Dodds goal.

The guys showedcbucket loads of spirit and determination tonight, I just wish they could have held on for a point Tuesday which, whilst not mpaltering the current standings would have allowed us to build some sort of unbeaten run. I do still think we've left too much to do, but once again, the next game takes on the 'biggest in 3 years' tag and we need to go there looking for the win before I start to believe.

I thought Turner made a massive difference. His willingness to chase down defenders and to take them on and harass them pushed them back as they were worried about his pace. Completely different and (in my opinion) better than Forrester. He occupied the central defenders which gave more space to others.

I liked what I saw from him

dodds scores..

Took him about as long as it took Jones to score against us! Top scorer for Shrews with 10. Great win that, feels so much better doesn't it. Great atmosphere too - who were those nutters without shirts in the Paddock? Christ i was freezing with shirt, jumper, coat, hat etc - respect to you guys! Got to press on now, badly need that away win on Tuesday - lets hope Cov are dreaming of Wembley and have given up! Taylor certainly had an impact.

I thought Turner made a massive difference. His willingness to chase down defenders and to take them on and harass them pushed them back as they were worried about his pace. Completely different and (in my opinion) better than Forrester. He occupied the central defenders which gave more space to others.

I liked what I saw from him

I agree,he's pacy and gave their defence something to think about.

Archived