onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Matchday Thread: Gillingham v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

Foley equalised in stoppage time at Swindon last year I think, and wasn't Dodds' winner at Peterboro in the 90th minute?

It tends to even itself out.

My opinion of it all hasn't changed over the years. Yes, the other team will try and throw everything at you towards the end but if the ball isn't in your box they can't score and really good teams manage more often than not to run down the clock and keep the ball away from their penalty area, though I know game management like this is easier said than done. Just stick the ball in the corners, kick it out for a throw in their half or over the stand. No team can score if they haven't got the ball in or close to your box.

I think it is better to sleep on matters before dissecting a game in too much detail. I have seen the video of the goals many times (as well as being there at the ground when it all happened), I could not pick out which defender should have had their goal scorer, and that I think is the problem. We seemed to have set up very deep rather than push some defenders up high to stop the runners coming in to get extra leverage for their jump.

Overall I thought the team grafted well. Street and Smith were top notch. It was great to see Sam Foley back he has been missed and put in lots of hard work and no little skill yesterday. I was pleasantly surprised by Danny Pugh. He did nothing spectacularly eye catching but he was steady as a defensive midfield anchor and can pass a ball to his own players. He supported our forwards when we went forward a good debut for him. It was my first look at Callum Guy. He has loads of energy and he creates space with his runs. He is a bit too anxious on the ball and consequently his final touch let him down a bit. He needs to slow down a little to get more control but he certainly put in a hard working shift.

No one had a "mare" and we were in control. More work needed on defending set pieces, when the opposition make a substitution the Coach/Captain should make sure that the allocated marker is reminded who he has got. However, there will always be lots of goals from set pieces, we scored because Remi Streete moved left and when his defender reacted he switched to the right and ran into the 6 yard box to jump above the static marker. They scored because no picked up their scorer's run from the top of the box, Purkiss was marking their number 4 and it was very harsh of Radio Stoke to put all the blame on him.

I continue to support Michael Brown, but he needs to learn to keep his criticism of players private. John Rudge never berated his players publicly, and Sir Alex Ferguson absolutely never did, although we know he gave them the hair dryer in private. Whatever Michael thinks of Jerome Thomas, keep it private. I hope our rookie manager will not make the same mistake again.

Roll on Tuesday, I will be there.

Phew, that's my three penny worth over.

..if Vale finish 5th from bottom weve done well, but as usual i got shot down on here for been a Stoke fan or Wum. Haha. Well obviously i know me football eh.

So what position did we finish, then?? It might be a bit too soon to start gloating about your football knowledge - or lack of it!

I'm sorry but surely as captain of the team (who also plays in defence)its part of the job to take responsibility and ensure everyone is marked at set-pieces in particular final 30 seconds of a game whether it's his man or not. He's the only player in the back 5 who has more than 1 full season of experience in this league should be taking the lead on the pitch sadly he doesn't and is simply not been good enough as captain or with his individual performances. Sadly we have no alternatives due to our horrendous transfer policy.

Sent from my iPad using onevalefan

Archived