onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Alex Jones

Robbie Earle's Perm

The bottom line is goals are the most difficult and expensive thing to buy but somehow Vale have to find a way.

If I were Michael Brown/Smurf I would be taking the Alex Jones situation right down to the wire.

They have a duty to protect the best interests of the club. Simply put we can't compete financially with the big boys.

Advert

The reality is that Alex Jones was here to further his career, by either playing himself into Birminghams plans or secure himself a move to either us or preferrably a bigger team. Hes done his end of the bargain, its then up to his agent to get him a good deal, wherever that may be. I don't blame him one bit for going to a bigger club like Bradford. With whats gone on here why would he not go somewhere else thats seemingly more stable, bigger crowds, more money and arguably much more potential.

They have a duty to protect the best interests of the club. Simply put we can't compete financially with the big boys.

With all the directors loans we have had and a decent budget wasted on a overloaded squad on what if I remember correctly smurf said at beginning of the season it's as big as the first season in league 1how the **** have ended up with big reg as our main striker we will not get anyone who can finish like jones we have missed one here

Our club is in big trouble and I hate to say it but won't improve until smurf goes

With all the directors loans we have had and a decent budget wasted on a overloaded squad on what if I remember correctly smurf said at beginning of the season it's as big as the first season in league 1how the **** have ended up with big reg as our main striker we will not get anyone who can finish like jones we have missed one here

Our club is in big trouble and I hate to say it but won't improve until smurf goes

I agree because there's loads of millionaires out there wanting buy a football club plough loads into it then get lambasted by supporters who haven't got a clue

They have a duty to protect the best interests of the club.

Except when they gamble on their daft foreign projects but that's OK because he's putting his own money in to fund that. God forbid that Norman ever funds anything vaguely sensible.

We supposedly had a decent budget this year but can't / won't pay the going rate for a centre forward.

We supposedly had a decent budget this year but can't / won't pay the going rate for a centre forward.

I'm not saying he's comparable with ALex Jones, but the same happened with AJLS last season when he wanted more money because he was on a very low wage for a forward. Just had a quick look at his figures for last season and he scored 11 in 37 for us.

Unless you are lucky and find a gem from an unknown club/ championship reserve team then unless you pay the going rate for players like Marshall, Pope and Jones you will lose them. Pope has never been replaced as a solid target man. Neither has Marshall. And instead of a leaner, better quality squad we now have the opposite - one that is full of unproven and inexperienced players who have been struggling to compete at this level.

No-one can blame Jones for going. They are in the promotion hunt, creating chances galore, have much better players than us, greater potential and can afford to pay him a lot more (as with Marshall). In the final analysis where he goes is his decision not his agents.

PV1973 - you are spot on. We have ditched/let go all our goalscorers in the past 24 months and not replaced them, bar Jones who wasn't our player. It's been criminal to see the creativity and goals removed from the team. I'm absolutely baffled by Bruno's transfer dealings. Has our top scorer got 4? And we're into Janaury. And our next highest scorers are the two centre backs! It's been complete and utter madness in the transfer market.

I agree because there's loads of millionaires out there wanting buy a football club plough loads into it then get lambasted by supporters who haven't got a clue

Plough in or directors loans that he wants back?

I have as much clue as u do only time will tell though vale nick

I'm not saying he's comparable with ALex Jones, but the same happened with AJLS last season when he wanted more money because he was on a very low wage for a forward. Just had a quick look at his figures for last season and he scored 11 in 37 for us.

Just under 1 in 3 is not too bad a return. I seem to remember Smurf banging on about AJLS wanting a six-fold increase in his wages. If he was on £500pw, then £3,000pw was probably a decent starting point for negotiations for a striker scoring goals. How we could have done with his goals this season, we would possibly be in or around the play-off's.

Unless you are lucky and find a gem from an unknown club/ championship reserve team then unless you pay the going rate for players like Marshall, Pope and Jones you will lose them. Pope has never been replaced as a solid target man. Neither has Marshall. And instead of a leaner, better quality squad we now have the opposite - one that is full of unproven and inexperienced players who have been struggling to compete at this level.

No-one can blame Jones for going. They are in the promotion hunt, creating chances galore, have much better players than us, greater potential and can afford to pay him a lot more (as with Marshall). In the final analysis where he goes is his decision not his agents.

PV1973 - you are spot on. We have ditched/let go all our goalscorers in the past 24 months and not replaced them, bar Jones who wasn't our player. It's been criminal to see the creativity and goals removed from the team. I'm absolutely baffled by Bruno's transfer dealings. Has our top scorer got 4? And we're into Janaury. And our next highest scorers are the two centre backs! It's been complete and utter madness in the transfer market.

I could not agree more. He jumped at the chance to join Vale and loved every minute of his time at the club. Footballers have a very short career and have to maximise whatever opportunities come along. Vale could and probably should have tried harder to keep him rather than leave everything until the very last minute. They knew his circumstances and were in a potion to table an offer weeks ago in readiness for the transfer window. We are all fans but I'm pretty sure that if any of us were in his position we would do the same. It's certainly not all about money and the lad will make a decision based upon what's best for his career as opposed to some short term financial gain. Clubs show little loyalty to players and will seek to dispose of them at the drop of a hat. As for our transfer policy it does indeed beggar belief! Quantity over quality is rarely a winning formula!

Lets be honest... he came, did his job and his loan came to an end... someone probably offered him a better deal and he went for it... can you blame him?

He is a paid professional and he has to climb the ladder the best way he can, or at least try to.

Thanks for the time and effort and good luck to the lad.

Would I like him to stay?.... yes of course I would... but smurf says its not a goer so thats the end of it

How's he doing this season?

couldnt agree more. Its always Smurfs fault... Realistically Bradford have a championship budget and we cant compete with that. You cant complain about a chairman not breaking his own bank account to sign a player for what could well be over the odds. He agreed a deal with Birmingham and not the agent and player too. We also need to bare in mind that we need two strikers, we cant use up the budget for two on one player. In my opinion i think Smurf has been very good this year, gave a new manager some backing with new players, it hasnt come off but he did his bit. I think a lot of managers would be happy that they could come in and bring in 7-10 players at the start of the season which is major backing at this level. Also bear in mind Jones has been good scored some good goals, but without the pens has he been that prolific? AJ Leitch Smith mentioned on here too at 3k a week, does he look a good prospect now at 3k per week? his scoring record is very poor throughout his career so he just hit a purple patch with us for a few months. I think really if you look at Smurfs calls on wages as a whole hes pretty much got it right, same with Andoh. Fans were raving saying he was being cheap, but I dont see clubs rushing in to get him on the books. Hes still witout a club and hasnt kicked a ball this year.

Archived