onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Matchday Thread: Port Vale v Oldham A

Fosse69

Advert

You are joking right? That was again garbage and on the balance of play a travesty, but hey ho it's only the result that matters eh. I just don't know what games some people are watching.

Exactly. It seems that some people prefer to just 'Keep the faith' rather than live in the real world! Those rose tinted glasses must be very tinted indeed!

Second half well it was better than the first but it was generally not a good performance.

How much did i enjoy Reggies performance again ,he lifted the whole team Streetes headed goal and Tavares been replaced was when we played a lot better.

Patterson touched the ball tonight but was not influential in a good way whatsoever .

Oldham have heart and deserved there point if not all three .

Vale have heart aswell once again showing character after falling behind .

We will be finishing in mid table .

3152 what a abysmal crowd .

Reggie made the game worthwhile again i thank him and Smith and Streete those 3 stood out ,Kelly did ok ,defreitas ok ,Taylor set up streetes goal but id expect a better level of performance from him ,forrester went off injured he wasnt involved ,tavares was abysmal ,Patterson well i give up if he is the answer ,knopps constantly struggling ,passes to away side more than ours .

All in all we r 3 out of 10 team in performance level.

But character and heart even though no where good enough we r 9/10 .

Utv

Man of the Match Reggie 20 again the bloke was super .

Yet he cant get a start ?

Time to get Dan Turner in for Paterson he can't be any worse!!!

I think the system is the problem. We should be playing a system to suit the players we have not the other way around. Dan Turner is not a lone striker style of player and neither is Patto. How long would it be before some of our fickle fans turned on him and boo him too. Its the system that needs to change IMO.

I think the system is the problem. We should be playing a system to suit the players we have not the other way around. Dan Turner is not a lone striker style of player and neither is Patto. How long would it be before some of our fickle fans turned on him and boo him too. Its the system that needs to change IMO.

Systems dont win football matches players do ,.

For games on end Tavares as been poor as soon as he was replaced with Periera the teams level of performance went up,Periera running forwards ( set up regggies goal ) .

Truthfully do u think Martin Patterson is doing a good job ?

id say he his not .

His performance levels r immensely poor .

We all know he hates Vale being a stokie but im sure over the years we have had players who represented us who put there dislike of us to one side and earned respect .

Do u respect his efforts ?

I'll write the match summary now:

A poor first half saw Oldham threaten on a number of occasions and deservedly take the lead, capitalising on a terrible Vale mistake at the back to open the scoring. Changes were made at half time and a vastly improved 2nd half performance saw Vale roar back and take the lead through a clinical Alex Jones effort and a powerful header from Smith/Streete (delete as appropriate).

Nearly correct!

We are so predictable though. Another garbage performance.

Tavares and Paterson. Neither should be any way near to the 1st Team squad after consistently awful performances. Why is it that Bruno/Smith/Brown CANNOT see their noses infront of their faces?

These two "players" and I use that word sarcastically, are an embarrassment to our Club with their useless contributions and total inability to even resemble a professional footballer. Why oh why are they allowed to continue their criminal activities in fraudulently passing themselves off as footballers?

Agree there are also some other members of our squad who are totally underperforming week in, week out but ask the hundreds/thousands of Valiants that are now boycotting the Vale and they will en bloc answer that these 2 shams are a massive part of not wanting to part with hard earned cash. Untrained monkeys could offer more to our Team than them. End of rant!

Thank goodness we have the triangle of Alnwick, Smith and Streete.

Three young, keen players giving their all.

Add some midfield tempo and forward movement to that and you'll be on the way.

There are clearly some decent, young lads who can fit that mould; Amoros, Pereira, De Freitas....

We have strikers who can score goals; as is proven by the goals to shots ratio.

Potentially, there is a pretty decent side in there somewhere, even with the current injuries and suspensions.

It's up to the management to get them playing from the off.

Systems dont win football matches players do ,.

For games on end Tavares as been poor as soon as he was replaced with Periera the teams level of performance went up,Periera running forwards ( set up regggies goal ) .

Truthfully do u think Martin Patterson is doing a good job ?

id say he his not .

His performance levels r immensely poor .

We all know he hates Vale being a stokie but im sure over the years we have had players who represented us who put there dislike of us to one side and earned respect .

Do u respect his efforts ?

If you shackle players to the same rigid system that has been easily found out by the opposition then we will struggle to win games and we have seen it for a number of weeks now. Equally if you put players in positions within that same rigid system who aren't used to playing that position or aren't up to playing the role asked then we will struggle.

I respect any of the efforts of the strikers playing that lone role, because in this system and how we've been playing, its a thankless task. When you play one up front with how we've been playing then I think you need a player who is big enough and strong enough to make it stick to enable other players to get up in support. To play in midfield runners going past him or to bring the wingers or overlapping fullbacks in. We are not playing like that. In fact we can go back to pre-season when we could plainly see that we seemed to have very few options in our game plan going forward. Thats still the case now, our formation and style of play has not changed. Playing 2 holding midfielders should free up the full backs to join in, we should have a number ten closer to the striker having free reign in that area. Our attacking game plan is not working at all IMO.

The reason I'm not jumping on the Patterson bandwagon is I don't think hes up to the lone striker role, I think hes a box player who should feed off service. In fact I think we have no forwards capable of playing the lone striker role. Cicila was probably brought in as that man and he's proved to be not up to it yet. I also think Jones and Turner are not up to that role either, they are box players who can create something given the chance and the service.

Its hard to judge against a team of Derby u23s but I thought Patterson and Forrester worked well in that game together, with Forrester being the one to show and pick up the ball to bring others in. Unfortunately injuries and the manager sticking to the same system has meant we've not seen that since.

But I don't believe for one minute that any professional footballer is going out there to purposely not put the effort in because hes playing for Port Vale and is a Stoke fan. Blaming his Stoke past is an easy cop out and was an expected fall back for some of our fans if things didn't go well. Theres a bigger picture than just Patto playing poorly on his own up front and thats probably why the manager says he needs another striker, because he needs someone who can play up front on their own, dare I say it a Pope type player who is strong enough to hold it and/or win headers and make it hard for defenders.

Our best side would look something like the below in many people's view I think, perhaps with one or two exceptions.

Alnwick

Purkiss

Streete

Smith

Knops

Thomas

Amoros

Grant

Foley

Cicilia

Jones

That's a solid looking 11 with a front two that will score goals despite having a midfield that's not very creative. Unfortunately it's very unlikely we'll ever see a side like this under Bruno, both in terms of personnel and formation.

Got to admit Oldham were the better team. Outplayed Vale for most of the match.

We lack pace. There is no one who can take the ball and attack the opponents defence or midfield. If we have pace it's well hidden by the pass-stop the ball-pass again. We are becoming so predictable that's why the crowd loves Rigino. He gives you that "What's going to happen next". He seems to be the only player improving over time.

Knops isn't a full back and Oldham played on him through the whole of the first half. Paterson isn't fast enough to be a target man up front.

Radio Stoke went on about what a great game of football it was???? It's a bad sign when you can hear the players on the field shouting to each other. Dull game (for Vale fans) until Rigino came on.

The crowds are low because the football being played each game is like 'Groundhog Day'.

Archived