onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

FIFA England Scotland and Poppies

blackdog

I completely agree with your post and also think FIFA are in their rights to enforce this.

Where were the poppies on shirts before 2010? This faux-outrage seems synonymous with today's society, people can show their respect and appreciation by giving to the British Legion all years round, by giving their time to help war veterans or by giving a couple of quid or a hot drink to a homeless person where statistically they may have been an ex-service man or woman anyway due to the amount on the streets which is a sad reflection of society today.

A wreath in the centre circle and 90,000 people taking a minute's silence to reflect on the sacrifices these people made for us all would be far more poignant than a poppy on a shirt.

Whatever peoples views in the eyes of some the poppy has been politicised and FIFA have another 200 odd members to consider, we can show our respects in many other ways as far as I'm concerned.

FIFA want to enforce this on Political grounds, it is not political, I don't agree with you that the Poppy has been politicised, public awareness of what the armed services sacrifice has been highlighted in recent years and that should never be forgotten.

Fatima Samba Diouf Samoura FIFA General Secretary needs to understand what a political symbol is.

Advert

I would suggest removing all national symbols from the stadium and replace them with poppies. Remove all advertising and replace with poppies. Turn the stadium into a field of poppies. Get the captains to exchange poppies before kick off... send every fifa official a brown envelope stuffed full of poppies... get service men and women to do a rest on your arms reverse at strategic points on the ground before kick off... play the last post instead of national anthems.

I have never viewed the poppy as a statement of any kind except sadness for the many millions who died because of war

5207acdec84a05a3103f1c2e94150d5d.jpg

Daft.

I agree . This is double standards

by FIFA , commemorating the Rising ,

and should not have been allowed . There were plenty

of opportunities to remember the dead . WSC

had a story about how militaristic

some football matches have become, especially finals.

It's become Americanized , with members

of the Army walking out with the FA Cup and even flyovers

I attended the USGP in Austin a few weeks ago and there was

a flyover of Army helicopters before the race . With the greatest of respect to all military men and women , it's overdone imo. That being said , may God bless all of them .

I would suggest removing all national symbols from the stadium and replace them with poppies. Remove all advertising and replace with poppies. Turn the stadium into a field of poppies. Get the captains to exchange poppies before kick off... send every fifa official a brown envelope stuffed full of poppies... get service men and women to do a rest on your arms reverse at strategic points on the ground before kick off... play the last post instead of national anthems.

I have never viewed the poppy as a statement of any kind except sadness for the many millions who died because of war

And you know what would cap that off Geo? A Red Devil fly past showering everyone with poppies - minus the clip pins of course :smile:

I wonder if players with poppy tattoos be allowed to play?

Someone suggested on Radio 5 last night that all the players should have temporary poppy tattoos on their right hands then hold them across their chest during the national anthem.

The poppy is not a political symbol but it has been made one by FIFA.

Where were the poppies on shirts before 2010?

I don't think something has to have been around for years to be justified. Just because it's a recent phenomenon doesn't mean it isn't a nice touch/good idea. Likewise, a minute's round of applause is also a new thing but it's a good one as it stops idiots ruining minute's silences.

I also don't think the issue is whether people are being forced to do this (surely if an England player objects he'd be within his rights to not have a poppy on display though I appreciate he would be castigated by the press for it, he could still do it if he felt strongly enough). FIFA's ruling that poppies are not allowed means we can't even get to the debate as to whether people would have a choice to display one or not.

Perhaps the forced wearing of poppies does make them politicised but the fact that FIFA have already allowed Ireland to wear Easter Rising commemorative shirts makes this decision mind boggling. If there's any debate about the political implications of poppies there surely can't be any debate about the political significance of celebrating the Easter Rising.

That completely undermines their argument against poppies, in my view.

I don't think something has to have been around for years to be justified. Just because it's a recent phenomenon doesn't mean it isn't a nice touch/good idea. Likewise, a minute's round of applause is also a new thing but it's a good one as it stops idiots ruining minute's silences.

I also don't think the issue is whether people are being forced to do this (surely if an England player objects he'd be within his rights to not have a poppy on display though I appreciate he would be castigated by the press for it, he could still do it if he felt strongly enough). FIFA's ruling that poppies are not allowed means we can't even get to the debate as to whether people would have a choice to display one or not.

Perhaps the forced wearing of poppies does make them politicised but the fact that FIFA have already allowed Ireland to wear Easter Rising commemorative shirts makes this decision mind boggling. If there's any debate about the political implications of poppies there surely can't be any debate about the political significance of celebrating the Easter Rising.

That completely undermines their argument against poppies, in my view.

Rob,

FIFA has now stated that Irish players should not have worn shirts with 1916-2016 on the badge. The Irish FA , and this was last March when they were worn,

said that it commemorated 100 years of the FAI being formed, but in fact the FAI was founded in Dublin in 1921, so that's incorrect. So , FIFA have now backtracked

and are looking to take action against the FAI, which they should.

we can show our respects in many other ways as far as I'm concerned.

People can indeed do what they wish...but apparently England's/Scotland's footballers cannot wear a poppy if that is how they wish to show their support. it's not about the poppy as such as far as I'm concerned but whether we can show how we feel on this in our own way or (in the case of footballers) be told how to by FIFA.

Would you accept it if FIFA said no to a wreath, no to donations to the British Legion etc? It's not what they are "banning" but that they are trying to impose a ban..it should be up to "us".

Archived