onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

FIFA England Scotland and Poppies

blackdog

It's simple in my view. Accept the ruling of FIFA and do not wear a Poppy on the shirt, nor a black armband with a poppy on it.

But then do everything else possible before and during the game to highlight the poppy as much as possible :

Have EVERY FAN have a card with a poppy on it to hold up during the National Anthems.

Have each player walk out onto the pitch with a member of the armed forces who will be in full kit and proudly sporting a poppy.

Have Large Poppies scattered around the outside of the pitch.

Make sure each ball boy/girl is wearing a poppy.

etc etc.

Go on English and Scottish FA's stand up for what is right and proper.

It's even more simple than that.Just leave it alone and let the players wear a shirt with a poppy on it.Let them show their respect.People fought and died for such freedom.FIFA should NOT be allowed to dictate to us.Its a sign of respect to ALL the fallen.It is nothing political at all.

Advert

It's simple in my view. Accept the ruling of FIFA and do not wear a Poppy on the shirt, nor a black armband with a poppy on it.

But then do everything else possible before and during the game to highlight the poppy as much as possible :

Have EVERY FAN have a card with a poppy on it to hold up during the National Anthems.

Have each player walk out onto the pitch with a member of the armed forces who will be in full kit and proudly sporting a poppy.

Have Large Poppies scattered around the outside of the pitch.

Make sure each ball boy/girl is wearing a poppy.

etc etc.

Go on English and Scottish FA's stand up for what is right and proper.

Great idea,let's go for it.

Will the match be play behind closed doors or will the fans be stopped from entering the ground because they are wearing poppies its a case of don't do this don't do that as it will offend some one the world has gone mad.

Wouldn't national anthems come under politics too? Are they going to ban those next?

Verse 6 of God Save the Queen would probably get a reaction

Lord grant that Marshal Wade

May by thy mighty aid

Victory bring.

May he sedition hush,

And like a torrent rush,

Rebellious Scots to crush.

God save the Queen!

Verse 6 of God Save the Queen would probably get a reaction

Lord grant that Marshal Wade

May by thy mighty aid

Victory bring.

May he sedition hush,

And like a torrent rush,

Rebellious Scots to crush.

God save the Queen!

FIFA are a disgrace for this decision - poppies are, as said by some others on this thread - a universal symbol of recognition of the suffering of those forced to fight their fellow man in nationalistic wars.

Less of a disgrace, but still revolting and hypocritical are the few who instead of wishing for peace to save any more suffering, use poppies as a nationalistic symnbol which they were never intended for, or stir up nationalistic or racist hate as in the above nonsense post.

FIFA are a disgrace for this decision - poppies are, as said by some others on this thread - a universal symbol of recognition of the suffering of those forced to fight their fellow man in nationalistic wars.

Less of a disgrace, but still revolting and hypocritical are the few who instead of wishing for peace to save any more suffering, use poppies as a nationalistic symnbol which they were never intended for, or stir up nationalistic or racist hate as in the above nonsense post.

Not entirely universal. They're not worn in Ireland, and frowned upon for obvious reasons. I stand with FIFA on this.

Black armbands are always allowed at Internationals. If they're allowed to do this , then the Germans will want an Edelweiss flower design sown in remembrance,

the Russians , Dutch etc . Before anyone says I'm anti-British, I'm not. My 2 uncles were shot down , and survived , in the Battle of Britain, and I worked for a man in Ireland, when I was 16 ,who had landed on Sword Beach, and went all the way to Berlin with the British Army. 50,000 Irishmen died in WW2. Now, in anticipation of

a barrage , I'll get my very hard hat on, as I'm sure this will be met with some disdain.

Archived