onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

FIFA England Scotland and Poppies

blackdog

Advert

It's not "down to us" though to be fair. We're a member of FIFA along with 200 odd other countries and we've agreed to abide to their rules and regulations. We're in our rights to make a stand and go against FIFA but as a consequence they're within their rights to sanction us for it....

I'm not sure I understand why the England team have worn poppy arm bands in internationals before but not now?

It's not "down to us" though to be fair. We're a member of FIFA along with 200 odd other countries and we've agreed to abide to their rules and regulations. We're in our rights to make a stand and go against FIFA but as a consequence they're within their rights to sanction us for it....

You are being contradictory..you said we should laydown a wreath or make a donations but a!so support fifa being able to say no to both of those..either we can choose or we cannot.

No I'm not the rule in this case is regarding putting a poppy on the shirt, nothing to do with any other tributes the FA may want to do in and around the ground

The rule is about displaying a political symbol on the kit. Firstly, the poppy is not a political symbol. Secondly, England have displayed poppy armbands in the past but FIFA say they can't wear them now. FIFA do not understand their own rules and are adopting totally inconsistent standards in applying them.

The purpose of the Poppy has changed, originally a means of raising funds for and remembering the casualties of WW1 with the message of Never Again. However the tragedy was repeated, I am not saying it could have been avoided, with WW2. Whether you buy a poppy to wear, have a cross planted, send a cheque, etc is a personal way of contributing to the needs of more recent casualties. Nowadays to be without one from the end of October in public life risks a deluge of abuse.

The purpose of the Poppy has changed, originally a means of raising funds for and remembering the casualties of WW1 with the message of Never Again. However the tragedy was repeated, I am not saying it could have been avoided, with WW2. Whether you buy a poppy to wear, have a cross planted, send a cheque, etc is a personal way of contributing to the needs of more recent casualties. Nowadays to be without one from the end of October in public life risks a deluge of abuse.

Much as I hate to say it,I fear that the poppy may lose its popularity in future years.You don't see too many of the younger generation wearing them these days?

In my view the poppy is not political, and its not religious, its a symbol used by joe public to remember the sacrifice of the first world war and then all the other conflicts up to the present day, when I saw the FA's response to FIFA's directive about not wearing it, it said all the players were given the choice to wear or not I'm proud that both England and Scotland teams choose to wear the armband, and I've got to say Wales decision makes me saddened, and I really think the Welsh people will be disappointed that the national team did not choose to respect the poppy...

Archived