onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Derby County U23

The Wonder of You

Advert

They did it here in Denmark, a few years back. Let the top clubs reserves, play in the lowest league.

But it met strong opposition from the lower league clubs and fans, as it heavily made the competition unfair!

True scenario:

Two teams battling for promotion. One team play FC Copenhagen Res on week one and meet players who regularly plays in the PL here, but have been out injured or lack match fitness in other ways. The team loses 5-0.

Next week, the other top team chasing promotion meets FC Copenhagen Res, and they field their U21s. The other club won 3-0 and clinched promotion by 2 points. Fair? Not in my book.

So now the Danish FA went the other way, and made a Reserve League for the top clubs. Just like you have in England now. And everyone is happy!

So who's going.

I am an ardent fan, season ticket holder. But for me this is one step too far and I will not be in attendance. How dare the football league belittle what has been for Vale a rewarding and fruitful competition.

I sincerely hope two U23 teams get to the final and play it in front of an empty Wembley!

I can see everybodies view on this but to be frank about the situation from my point of view. I would love to go to this game or any other vale game at home. Why I don't is simple - 8 hour round trip on your own is expensive and time consuming, most of you get to attend home games regulary, I don't.

To boycott is one thing due to the U23 squads being allowed and I agree with you, just annoys me that most could go but wont and I would love to go but can't.

I will be there for all other games bar this trophy. And this is from a fan that has travelled Exeter away midweek for this same competition. Wembley once, Cardiff once, for the same competition. I did not start this thread as a bashing exercise, each and every Vale fan is entitled to their own opinion. Just that I believe this is a step too far.

Personally I think it's insulting to our club that we'd have to play anyone's under 23 team in an official competitiion and I wouldn't go anywhere near it but good luck to those that want to go. Got no problem with them.

Lower League clubs have been playing the U23 squads of the top Prem sides in the League Cup for years.

At a time where all football fans should unite, I am, more than anything, gutted Vale fans are still going to attend. You're no better than the big fat cats of the Premier League and are feeding the death of lower league football. This isn't about opinions, it's about standing up for what's right. Just think for a second what you're going to watch. And then get a grip.

At a time where all football fans should unite, I am, more than anything, gutted Vale fans are still going to attend. You're no better than the big fat cats of the Premier League and are feeding the death of lower league football. This isn't about opinions, it's about standing up for what's right. Just think for a second what you're going to watch. And then get a grip.

I'm going to watch Vale. It's what I and loads of others do.

I will be there for all other games bar this trophy. And this is from a fan that has travelled Exeter away midweek for this same competition. Wembley once, Cardiff once, for the same competition. I did not start this thread as a bashing exercise, each and every Vale fan is entitled to their own opinion. Just that I believe this is a step too far.

Wow..what was is it nine of us and 7 PAFC Fans??!...travelled from london for that...always sticks in memory..0-1..earle i think?

Slightly different though. I understand its both principle based. But Razor is purposefully withholding money going into the club whilst lining the pockets of opposition clubs. (his choice)

Whilst you will find most who are not attending this is not against the club itself, but the notion that the ridiculous ruling to allow U23 into a competition specifically for lower league clubs. This one is not personal!

But still withholds money going into the club! Personally, I think the uproar against this is silly, and I might bet that, should we reach the semis, then final, that these high-and-mighty principles will quickly disappear in anticipation of another glory day out!

I hope the attendances across the whole round of fixtures is embarrassing. Will send a message to the idiots who run our game.

Normally enjoy your posts Jean/Jacko51 but in my opinion you have it badly wrong and i'm surprised however i don't feel that people should be victimised or harassed for not joining the boycott.

However, I personally think the best way to support Port Vale Football Club and the entire English football league system in the long term is to boycott this game.

We should be embracing the good things in English football and its not the bloated obscenity of the Premiership that is English football's crowning jewel, it is the fact that we have an incredible football league pyramid that supports 109 professional football clubs and many more semi-professional clubs. Around Europe and indeed the world, this is unheard of. Bigger countries such as France, Spain and Italy have amateur (not even semi-professional teams) in their fourth and even third tiers along with big clubs' B teams to make up the numbers.

Our second tier is the 4th most attended league in Europe, while participation in our 3rd, 4th and 5th tiers dwarves that of their continental equivalents. The football pyramid in England is quite simply the biggest, most vibrant and incredible in world football yet those in charge of it seem to be doing everything they can to devalue it and put it under jeopardy. We should be embracing this diverse and widespread football pyramid that unites, inspires and mobilises communities the length and breadth of this county, not undermining it at every possibility.

The advent of the Premier League, the imbalance of money coming into the game, the devaluing of the FA Cup and League Cup have all been damaging to the pyramid, yet I feel this latest move is the worst. Essentially paying other members to devalue, dilute and damage the integrity of a competition that may not be the most glamorous but can provide genuine moments of glory to smaller clubs (none more so than ourselves being two-time winners) is nothing short of a disgrace and the big fear for me and many others is that it is the first stage to covertly engineer a situation where 'big club' B teams are integrated into our league structure.

This idea has already been sounded out on multiple occasions, but the fact that the water has been tested and it has been shown that the football league's integrity can be bought, what is preventing the league structure being the next victim of Premier League greed? If that is allowed to occur, it will be the beginning of the end for the English football pyramid. It will be the first nail in the coffin. It will irreparably damage the greatest football league system in the world, a system that surely cannot be allowed to be gobbled up by Premier League greed.

There is a genuine fear that this Football League Trophy farce is the dress rehearsal, the practice run as to whether the football league can be bought to be manipulated and deformed as the Premier League sees fit, ahead of pushing B teams into the league structure. The ease at which they have been allowed into the FLT should be a real concern already. As REAL football fans, all we can do is to make the idea and thus the competition this season look as pathetic, ridiculous and farcical as it has already been made.

Money talks and empty seats and sub-1000 gates don't make money for anyone. Boycotting the competition and seeing supposed professional football matches have tiny gates and very little interest will make the competition look rather sad and pitiful and in turn present the competition and the B-team movement as a whole as a farce that is completely rejected by real football fans. I implore all Vale fans to show as much contempt for the competition as the organisers of the competition have shown for true football fans, not just at Port Vale, but up and down the county and the proud English football pyramid.

Fortunately the decision is out of my hands due to work but my intention was not to attend this game. I can understand everyone's ire about this game and the fact the FL (chairmen) are putting fans through this is absolutely shocking. I know for a fact as a regular the tough decision that is going through fans minds whether or not to go must be agonising.

I feel this competition is about to fall on it's ass due to some chairmen's thinking it's about to line their pockets.

Also no I won't be attending ANY game at Wembley involving a youth team.

honestly wouldn't go if the football league paid me the admission fee to attend.

This idea needs to die and it can't die soon enough for me.

My thoughts exactly. Hopefully by Wednesday lunchtime, when all the chairman are going batshit because they haven't covered expense, the FA will pull their heads out of their arses

Archived