onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

It's So Depressing For Ambitious Vale fans

old sage

I don't think Adams left because of Smurf I think he left as he honestly realised he couldn't take us any further it was the best decision for both parties at the right time really. I actually remember Adams saying he thought about leaving in the summer after our 9th place finish but thought he'd keep going as the fans wanted him to sign a new deal at the time but deep down he knew he couldn't take us a lot further.

That said I don't think they got on brilliantly I just think Adams was experienced enough and had been there and seen it before(if you like) at previous clubs and at least it was better than working under the V2001 circumstances.

Advert

I posted this message on another thread, but it seems to be more appropriate on nthis one.

Who would want to work with NEGATIVE chairman. Page wouldn't.

Note his remarks on why he went to Northampton.

Rob Page says Northampton chairman Kelvin Thomas was a key factor in him becoming the Cobblers' new manager.

"Having met with the CHAIRMAN and seen how POSITIVE he was, it made it a no-brainer," added the ex-Wales defender.

"It's all about the CHAIRMAN, listening to what he wants to do with the football club on and off the pitch," Page told BBC Radio Northampton.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36341214

I think this is a reality check for all Vale fans are shows we are sliding down the 'natural order' when Northampton are poaching our manager.

For too long the club has been run like the local 'lads n dads' club. Everything about the club, from the communications side to ticketing arrangements to the club shop, looks cheap and unprofessional at the moment and one wonders how we can possibly expect to attract the next generation of fans. As an example, clubs we should be competing with like the Walsall's, Scunthorpe's, Rotherham's, Northampton's of the world have all strengthened/are strengthening their infrastructure with new sustainable grounds adequate for their needs. We have a ramshackle tinpot stadium that is for the most part only ever 20% full at best and is not exactly a great pull for other revenue generating non-football events.

Now I'm not suggesting that just because we've lost our manager we go out and build a new stadium. The point being our only strategy seems to be to hopefully stumble upon an unproven gem we can sell on, or cross our fingers and hope we draw Man Utd away in the 3rd round of the cup. Hardly the blue print for sustainability and success.

But is there a strategy or longer-term plan for the club?? Do we have one to at least ensure some sort of medium term financial viability?? Or are we content to flit between solvency and insolvency, within the soon-to-be 4th and 5th tiers on dwindling gates, in a rotting stadium??

I think you are being unfair to Northampton there. The natural order of Clubs is continually changing. Look at the position of Leeds and Liverpool, for example. Man Utd went 25 years in the doldrums before Fergie came along. Aston Villa have just gone down. Coventry were in the top flight for 30 odd years and are now in League 1. You only have to look where Bournemouth are to see how fortunes can change.

So why not Northampton? They have momentum and could well go straight up again. They could also see their bubble, and Page's, burst. That's football, isn't it?

The Vale look a bit pear-shaped at the minute, but you just don't know what is around the corner.

I look on the current situation as an opportunity! UTV.

What an absolute waste of band width.

What restraints? One of the largest budgets in the league last season, which is being cut because of our short fallings? Burton and Walsall have done alright on smaller budgets than ours probably will be this season.

Its funny that a rookie like Micky Adams worked with our chairman for almost 2 seasons.

The only issue with everyone is that Smurf said he was going to sack page after Exeter, if you had been there im pretty sure you would have felt the same.

Exeter, twitter, budget cuts, selling the club but wants all his investment back, separating the ground from the club, turning a promoted club with no contracts/debts into one operating at a perpetual loss if he didn't put money in (which he now wants back), his overall conduct towards fans, his lack of transparency over the sale (does anyone truly know whats going on?) the Hasselbaink debacle. Do i need to go on? There are more issues with Smurf than the Exeter incident.

Smurf has been an atrocious chairman and I long for the day our club see's the back of him. I'm all for opinions, but from an objective viewpoint there are a lot of issues with what he has done.

Adams worked with Smurthwaite for almost 2 years until he'd had enough of him and left. Page worked with Smurthwaite (directly) for almost 2 years until he'd had enough of him and left. Common denominator?

Adams lost six games on the bounce and walked before he was pushed,Page was offered the stability of a three year contract which was a no brainer.

Exeter, twitter, budget cuts, selling the club but wants all his investment back, separating the ground from the club, turning a promoted club with no contracts/debts into one operating at a perpetual loss if he didn't put money in (which he now wants back), his overall conduct towards fans, his lack of transparency over the sale (does anyone truly know whats going on?) the Hasselbaink debacle. Do i need to go on? There are more issues with Smurf than the Exeter incident.

Smurf has been an atrocious chairman and I long for the day our club see's the back of him. I'm all for opinions, but from an objective viewpoint there are a lot of issues with what he has done.

Stole the words from my mouth. 100% agree with every word.

This view that we had one of the largest budgets in the league last season? What do people base that on? The words of Smurf, a proven liar? Seriously?

Not forgetting he then tried to say he didn't say what he had said on the three coaches that he went on.From there it was everyone misunderstood what he said :doh: Then it was down to the pressure.So everyone on those three coaches was a liar or had hearing problems.

This is Pages way of payback to Smurf for his very public humiliation after the Exeter shambles.

maybe,maybe not but at least there isn't a dull moment being a vale supporter and norman has difficulty explaining what he means, never a dull moment but I'm sure it will all be sorted sooner rather than later:yes:

The financial fair play rules set the limits on the size of the wage bill. Provided compliance with these rules is enforced - and that includes Northampton - then the level playing field should give Port Vale a chance to compete effectively. But growing and climbing the league can only be achieved by increasing income by increased spectators and improved commercial performance. Over my experience of Port Vale stretching back to the second half of the 1970s we are currently doing OK. We are in the upper half of league 1 and competing with Sheffield United which has much bigger support. I can watch higher level football on TV these days to my hearts content and I can occasionally go and watch Premier League level football live at Liverpool. So I am not unhappy with the status quo and a bit of improvement. It does seem that Vale Park is a burden round the neck. It has stands that have no commercial capacity but the ground also creates added costs of stewarding given quarter / third full crowds due to its size. Yet moving isn't financially viable and possibly development isn't financially viable. Although it is in the heart of the Burslem community it is in a rubbish location commercially with poor transport access and scope to develop the ground. So to get bigger / go higher requires some radical change. Smurf is doing his best and has a sound financial footing, but big change needs an event more affluent owner - they often end up being an even bigger problem in the end - e.g. Aston Villa.

Blah blah blah blah:doh:

We all need to go to church this Sunday morning and pray.

Currently we are in a real mess.

Out of the blue the manager - who has improved the team and got us close to the play-offs has gone. He'll take his staff with him (and possibly some of the players).

We currently have only about 4 decent players under contract. The rest have mainly been offered wage cuts and will go.

It's slap bang in the middle of the time when clubs are looking to recruit and offering players deals. We have no manager currently.

I don't deny the financial input of the Chairman and its importance to the Club, but for 6-8 months now - until very recently - we've had quite a few public spats and PR disasters, many of which have already been mentioned above but perhaps most significantly include slashing the wage budget, which can't be good for the players and certainly does nothing to inspire the fans.

Page has gone for a better paid job, on a longer contract, with a bigger budget, working for a Chairman who doesn't undermine him in public, and doesn't pull the rug from under him for next season with his budget cuts.

Just as we begin to build a head of steam and a bit of longed-for stability...puff... it all goes up in smoke and we are back to square one.

We'll get a new manager and new players but many of our better players will leave and with a reduced budget we'll find it ever harder to compete. Our new man won't know the Club, he won't know the players and he'll find it very difficult to get us ready for the new season.

As many have said before, I don't mind players or managers leaving for bigger clubs, but this is a real body blow, make no mistake about it.

History shows us that finding a good manager is a risky business and we've got it wrong more than we have right in the past 50 years. Lee, Rudgie, Adams at first. I can't think of many more very successful ones. I could list 7-8 easily who have been truly abysmal - from Butler to Sinnott, from Glover to Gannon, Foyle to Smith.

The chances are we'll end up with a turnip.

Those who are pleased to see the back of Page, you have got what you wished for. But if you are concerned about the Club's future then, as I say, praying is probably the best thing to do.

Those who are pleased to see the back of Page, you have got what you wished for. But if you are concerned about the Club's future then, as I say, praying is probably the best thing to do.

Or they could now actually buy their season ticket and / or turn up at games.

We all need to go to church this Sunday morning and pray.

Currently we are in a real mess.

Out of the blue the manager - who has improved the team and got us close to the play-offs has gone. He'll take his staff with him (and possibly some of the players).

We currently have only about 4 decent players under contract. The rest have mainly been offered wage cuts and will go.

It's slap bang in the middle of the time when clubs are looking to recruit and offering players deals. We have no manager currently.

I don't deny the financial input of the Chairman and its importance to the Club, but for 6-8 months now - until very recently - we've had quite a few public spats and PR disasters, many of which have already been mentioned above but perhaps most significantly include slashing the wage budget, which can't be good for the players and certainly does nothing to inspire the fans.

Page has gone for a better paid job, on a longer contract, with a bigger budget, working for a Chairman who doesn't undermine him in public, and doesn't pull the rug from under him for next season with his budget cuts.

Just as we begin to build a head of steam and a bit of longed-for stability...puff... it all goes up in smoke and we are back to square one.

We'll get a new manager and new players but many of our better players will leave and with a reduced budget we'll find it ever harder to compete. Our new man won't know the Club, he won't know the players and he'll find it very difficult to get us ready for the new season.

As many have said before, I don't mind players or managers leaving for bigger clubs, but this is a real body blow, make no mistake about it.

History shows us that finding a good manager is a risky business and we've got it wrong more than we have right in the past 50 years. Lee, Rudgie, Adams at first. I can't think of many more very successful ones. I could list 7-8 easily who have been truly abysmal - from Butler to Sinnott, from Glover to Gannon, Foyle to Smith.

The chances are we'll end up with a turnip.

Spot on !!!!Let's see them all return and support the club.We are sick of all that's going on but renewed our season tickets ,as Port Vale means more to us than any individual nutcase that's caused all this mayhem!!!!VTID

Theres so much wrong with that post its difficult where to start. Clearly you didnt go to Exeter. Budget cuts....did you not read the FFP rules? It was stated in the press our budget was 1.6m , go and check the rest of the league. In a league table of budgets it would put us top ten. No debt???? It doesnt take a genius to realise that from day one we had debt, it started when Smurf paid off the creditors from V2001 when he purchased the club.

This "atrocious" chairman put the money in which took us from near the bottom of league two to a top half finish this season. I dont agree with his PR / Twitter etc. but to criticise the money hes put in is unbelievable. I would quite happily let the devil own the club if we kept having money thrown at us.

Archived