onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Page Sacked (Rumour)

Samwelo

Advert

we'll never know. They pick numbers based on the positions/names of clubs left in the draw, so if we had beaten Exeter, our number would not necessarily be the same as the one Exeter is allocated in tonight's draw. Water under the bridge...we now have to move on and make sure we stuff Scunthorpe on Saturday.

I don't think they do actually. Someone on here said our number was assigned before the game took place and if you have a look at the numbers for the draw tonight it would seem to bear that out.

Take the cup results out of that. 3 wins. 2 draws and 2 defeats.

So thats 15 wins. 9 draws. 19 defeats. Thats 54 points from 43 games.

If you think thats ok then fine.

Thats a relegation scrap. Make no doubt.

Probably 57/58 points over 46 games ie a season? You don't see many teams relegated with that points tally.

OR we could go off this seasons results, which would be fair considering its the only time Page has had with his team, and they read 8-5-7 and would leave us with 67 points. Obviously, some people would like to deduct a few points from that, due to the opposition being poor or us not 'deserving' a win or scoring late on.

OR we could go off this seasons results, which would be fair considering its the only time Page has had with his team, and they read 8-5-7 and would leave us with 67 points. Obviously, some people would like to deduct a few points from that, due to the opposition being poor or us not 'deserving' a win or scoring late on.

Or in your case add an extra 10 on because you love page and wont criticize him in any way.

Probably 57/58 points over 46 games ie a season? You don't see many teams relegated with that points tally.

Or in your case add an extra 10 on because you love page and wont criticize him in any way.

I don't love Page at all and if Norman, at the end of the season, decided he'd like to try someone else, whilst feeling sad on a personal level for someone who comes across as a pretty decent bloke (perhaps too decent), I wouldn't be heartbroken.

I spend a lot of time on here defending him because so so many of the arguments for him being sacked are vitriolic, spiteful and downright lies.

People hammered him with the retained list and I think, by and large, he's been proved correct.

People play down wins because of late goals or poor performances yet slate him if we are unlucky and don't get what we 'deserve'.

People slate his team selections when the vast majority of fans would have put those exact same players out.

People say we are rubbish when we have one of the best home records in the country.

People criticise the players that he's bought but practically every single position on the pitch is an improvement on last year.

People say that we'll get hammered when we play 'good' teams but when it's pointed out that we have played well against those teams, it gets dismissed as 'boring'.

We also have a chairman who, seemingly, can't wait to sack him and peppers interviews with snide little digs at him; whilst I'm on the subject, I believe Derek over Norman, I'm afraid.

I defend Page because, generally, I don't think the criticisms (and indeed praise) that he receives are fair.

Good job we got the 4 league wins in November against the relegation candidates. Didnt make pretty reading before that.

Papering over cracks. I was over for the Chesterfield and Blackpool games. If thats the best we can offer no wonder we lost yesterday.

of course we will go again although we are punching above our weight and the lads gave me 100% the fact that we were turned over by a team from the league below seems to have escaped him, what a plank he is.surely their is a manager out there who would jump at the chance to take us forward with desire and passion who could motivate this pig and whistle outfit into a promotion winning team.

Absolutely.

It would be a relegation battle though.

If youre happy with that amount of points, fair enough. I arent.

It's roughly what I come to expect, finishing half way up the third division. History since the outset of English football having more than 2 divisions suggests it is our natural home. I think we've also only won 2 second round FA Cup games in the 21 years I've been supporting us (I think we had about 6 seasons where we automatically reached the third round). Very little about this season has surprised me, other than the style of play in a few early season home games. Why would I be in favour of radical change because Burton, Walsall and Gillingham are doing ok (which seems to be the argument on here)?

The likelihood is, if things stay as they are, this season will peter out in an increasingly dull fashion. The likelihood is if we were to rock the boat, bring in a new manager with no money for his own players, then we will be looking over our shoulder by March, much like last year. With a bit of luck, both Page and Smurthwaite will have learnt from their mistakes made last summer (they both made mistakes) and we can build on the nucleus of a good team which we have assembled this year.

I don't love Page at all and if Norman, at the end of the season, decided he'd like to try someone else, whilst feeling sad on a personal level for someone who comes across as a pretty decent bloke (perhaps too decent), I wouldn't be heartbroken.

I spend a lot of time on here defending him because so so many of the arguments for him being sacked are vitriolic, spiteful and downright lies.

People hammered him with the retained list and I think, by and large, he's been proved correct.

In your opinion! We are seriously lacking in quality in other areas, which relate back to those being retained.

People play down wins because of late goals or poor performances yet slate him if we are unlucky and don't get what we 'deserve'.

To some extent i agree - but probably because he is failing to connect with the fans (he doesn't help himself with his overly negative approach)

People slate his team selections when the vast majority of fans would have put those exact same players out.

The fans can only select from the current squad - which RP chose himself - its, i quote "his own squad".

People say we are rubbish when we have one of the best home records in the country.

Surprisingly good record at home - some terrible performances in some of those wins, papering over the cracks. Unfortunately though a season is made up of home and away fixtures - and away from home we are god damn awful!!

People criticise the players that he's bought but practically every single position on the pitch is an improvement on last year.

On paper agreed, although he's seemingly struggling to get the best out of them. Still short up front too, with too many midfielders on the books

People say that we'll get hammered when we play 'good' teams but when it's pointed out that we have played well against those teams, it gets dismissed as 'boring'.

Not sure what you mean?

We also have a chairman who, seemingly, can't wait to sack him and peppers interviews with snide little digs at him; whilst I'm on the subject, I believe Derek over Norman, I'm afraid.

Poor performances with a decent budget this season - and now out of the cup. Some shocking performances and a total lack of effort from the players an emegring theme - no wonder he's losing patience - he has an investment to protect.

I defend Page because, generally, I don't think the criticisms (and indeed praise) that he receives are fair.

Not sure what you mean?

That was a reference to an earlier post, where someone had said that we'll get stuffed when we play a decent team, and when I mentioned the results against the likes of WBA, Wigan and Sheffield United, it just got dismissed as 'boring'.

Only at Vale would a 5 game winning streak be described as painting over the cracks!

I believe that there has been more good than bad this season, and Page shows promise rather than being in decline. I agree there have been poor performances - I'm yet to see us gain a point away from home this season - and that he could be more adventurous but I think we should stick with him. Again, I don't love him and don't think he's perfect; I just don't think he should be sacked.

Archived