onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Adams walks..

Mario

Advert

What a sorry end for a bloke we owe a great deal of gratitude. Why on earth any Vale fan would wish to berate Adams is beyond me.

Personally I was not sorry to see him leave the Vale as (to quote the man himself) he had reached his sell by date and his player signings and tactics had become highly questionable. However, I am and always shall be admiring of what he achieved for us during both spells he was in charge.

When he first came to Vale Park we were heading in the same direction as Stockport County, ie, not just the Conference but into oblivion. With VERY limited resources he stopped the rot on the pitch and thus bought time to survive the Bratt & Co. era (even though they tried their best to destroy any positive achievements during Adams' time at Sheffield). When he returned we enjoyed another revival and, I believe, he became the first manager to gain promotion twice with teams in administration which is an amazing feat. For these achievements he should always be respected and welcomed at Vale Park.

During our first season back in L1 something obviously changed and looking back it seems that things deteriorated as the season progressed. I've a feeling Adams and Norman just didn't hit it off and my guess is it was Adams more than Norm but that's pure speculation. I always felt Adams was a bit petchulent and his regular 'dummy out' sulks drove me crackers so it must have been a real pain to work with him.

His real problem is he's been outdated tactically and doesn't seem able to move on. He puts far too much emphasis on fitness and work rate which I think are givens these days, all teams have to have those qualities or they're guaranteed to fail and the overwhelming majority do have them. Basically this is why I think his managerial career is declining and may even be at an end.

However much you wouldn't want him back at the Vale or are glad he left at least have some gratitude and respect for one of the few managers to bring us some success.

I just never liked him. Not as a manager or as an individual.

Adams is and should be regarded a Vale legend for what he did with us:

First season - Turned us around from a team diving towards non league into a side chasing the play offs until the last day.

Second season - Cruising towards promotion until Sheff United came calling...

Third season - Steered the club through the darkest days as we plunged to administration by keeping us safely midtable.

Forth season - miracle promotion with no money, no kit, no players until the final days of pre season... And some of the performances were incredible.

Fifth season - 9th in league one baring a poor period after New Year we might have even achieved more but considering the amount of money a lot of rivals had it was another great campaign.

To slate him on this seasons spell would be short sighted. The man deserves legend status and I'm pretty gutted it hasn't worked out for him.

Happy with my comments. Appreciate what he achieved at The Vale, but found him difficult to take to even when we were winning with his over abrasive attitude in interviews and turning round to argue with fans during games. Left us with an awful squad, signed a load of his old mates for Tranmere, and has left them staring over the abyss into the Conference. As the saying goes you are only as good as your last game, and his swansong at both Vale and Tranmere are anything but favourable.

Exactly my thoughts.

Very unlikeable man, aggressive towards fans when things didn't go well, ****ed off to Sheff Utd half way through a season, his vendetta against Morsy, left us with our current squad (which the general consensus is that it needs a complete overhaul) and has probably relegated Tranmere.

Exactly my thoughts.

Very unlikeable man, aggressive towards fans when things didn't go well, ****ed off to Sheff Utd half way through a season, his vendetta against Morsy, left us with our current squad (which the general consensus is that it needs a complete overhaul) and has probably relegated Tranmere.

My thoughts also

I think Micky is well respected by fans at the majority of clubs he has managed and I'll never forget the reception he got from the Brighton fans when they played us at Vale Park.I do think though that he made a mistake in letting Sam Morsy go and he could have done more to have kept a midfield player who I have always rated.

Good luck Micky in the future and thanks for getting us that promotion.

Archived