onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

page out now

steauavaliant

Since the start of 2015, when the January transfer window opened and Page could shape the squad how he wanted:

We've played 21 games, winning 6, drawing 4 and losing 11.

We've scored a total of 23 goals, scoring once 8 times, scoring twice 4 times, and scoring more than two 2 times.

We've conceded a total of 30 goals.

We're shipping them every week and barely scoring. It's an obvious recipe for losing games.

Again, I can't see any progress since Page took over.

Advert

Vale have had 2 problems for most of Page's time at the Vale, a leader in defence and Pope has missed around 20 games and clearly struggled with injury for much of the season. For me there is no doubt that a fully fit Pope was have scored 18 - 20 goals, which would have put him easily in the top 10 scorers in the league. That's a miss and very difficult for any manager and getting a player in on loan is a big ask. Maybe Page could have got someone in during January ... but if that type of player grew on trees 15 clubs in this league would have been after the same player and it did look as if Pope was on his way back at the time. The other problem has been addressed, we signed Streete after Smurf and Page scouted him and it wasn't anyone's fault Newcastle had an injury crisis and recalled him. Inniss was a big success, then got a season ending injury and now we have Collins, who again has made a big difference. There are clear problems with the full-backs but the main defensive problem has been addressed quite effectively on 3 occasions. Yep the squad does need a significant turn around but real life isn't FIFA on a Play Station, clubs have to keep to strict budgets based on income or they lose points so need to get players out to bring them in and I don't see a long line of clubs after the players we could really do with losing. From the current squad there is Neal, Brown, Marshall, Pope, O'Conner and possibly Moore and Vesseli who we could have moved out - because they are our best players. Sam Johnson has clear potential, otherwise they are average players at this level. In the real world Page has done OK and in that his main task was to keep us up. Rudge took us down in his first season, although from a worse position. For me Page deserves a chance to build from where the club is and see what he does over the close season. If we are making progress over the next few months fantastic, if not he'll be gone. Bringing in an experienced manager with a good record doesnt always work .... ask Tranmere.

Vale had 48 points with 11 games left. If anyone thinks that keeping them up after that is a success they are having a laugh. Even Glover ,Sinnott, or Gammon could have managed that!

And we had far less points when Adams went. The remit after that was to keep us up, and that will be achieved -it could yet be by a comfortable margin.

And we had far less points when Adams went. The remit after that was to keep us up, and that will be achieved -it could yet be by a comfortable margin.

A comfortable margin?

When form increased after Adams departure I'm sure everyone including fans and players had a little more hope rather than to be back down the bottom fighting to stay up. It may have been pages job to keep us up but after a good start surely ambitions change? When your two points off the play offs you expect to at least fight to get in there or stay around mid table. For us to drop right back down to where we are is shocking. Page hasn't done a good job at all. The squad is easily better than relegation fodder and yes Adams left us with little points but he left with a long time remaining. I would expect any manager to have been able to drag this side up into lower mid table, there's some very good players far better than some of the other sides around us. Of course we had far less points when Adams left, only a few games had been played; against far better sides than the ones page lost two in the last months.

Vale have had 2 problems for most of Page's time at the Vale, a leader in defence and Pope has missed around 20 games and clearly struggled with injury for much of the season. For me there is no doubt that a fully fit Pope was have scored 18 - 20 goals, which would have put him easily in the top 10 scorers in the league. That's a miss and very difficult for any manager and getting a player in on loan is a big ask. Maybe Page could have got someone in during January ... but if that type of player grew on trees 15 clubs in this league would have been after the same player and it did look as if Pope was on his way back at the time. The other problem has been addressed, we signed Streete after Smurf and Page scouted him and it wasn't anyone's fault Newcastle had an injury crisis and recalled him. Inniss was a big success, then got a season ending injury and now we have Collins, who again has made a big difference. There are clear problems with the full-backs but the main defensive problem has been addressed quite effectively on 3 occasions. Yep the squad does need a significant turn around but real life isn't FIFA on a Play Station, clubs have to keep to strict budgets based on income or they lose points so need to get players out to bring them in and I don't see a long line of clubs after the players we could really do with losing. From the current squad there is Neal, Brown, Marshall, Pope, O'Conner and possibly Moore and Vesseli who we could have moved out - because they are our best players. Sam Johnson has clear potential, otherwise they are average players at this level. In the real world Page has done OK and in that his main task was to keep us up. Rudge took us down in his first season, although from a worse position. For me Page deserves a chance to build from where the club is and see what he does over the close season. If we are making progress over the next few months fantastic, if not he'll be gone. Bringing in an experienced manager with a good record doesnt always work .... ask Tranmere.

No doubt that pope would have got 18-20 based on what? His 12 goals last season in which he played all season? In the real world page and vale haven't won a match for 9 games and only picked up 3 points!!!

A comfortable margin?

When form increased after Adams departure I'm sure everyone including fans and players had a little more hope rather than to be back down the bottom fighting to stay up. It may have been pages job to keep us up but after a good start surely ambitions change? When your two points off the play offs you expect to at least fight to get in there or stay around mid table. For us to drop right back down to where we are is shocking. Page hasn't done a good job at all. The squad is easily better than relegation fodder and yes Adams left us with little points but he left with a long time remaining. I would expect any manager to have been able to drag this side up into lower mid table, there's some very good players far better than some of the other sides around us. Of course we had far less points when Adams left, only a few games had been played; against far better sides than the ones page lost two in the last months.

I'm not 'Page In' or 'Page Out' currently. I genuinely can't decide whether I think he deserves another year or not to prove himself. Leaning towards him going currently.

If he stays he needs to have word with himself about playing a winning team regardless of our next opponent, drop the existing coaching staff off at the job centre where they belong and be ruthless when it comes to renewing contracts (Adams wasn't and that was his downfall, amongst other things). Has he got that in his locker? Some bold decisions need to be made at the club in the summer and I don't think he's willing to do what it takes. If Willo gets another contract I will despair.

However if we win our last 2 games (unlikely but bear with me) then we'll end up on 57 points, 2 less than we finished last season with when people were overwhelmed with excitement because we'd finished 10th. I expected more at the start of the season, but with the changes that we've made and the questionable squad decisions made by Adams in the summer I don't think that would be too bad.

Regardless of anything, I think he's done a better job than Adams would have done I'm sure of it. We'd have been playing Yeovil for finishing 23rd tomorrow if Adams was still here. Is it good enough to just be better than Adams? I would say no, we need more than that.

A comfortable margin?

Anyone (in their right mind) could see we were never good enough for the play-offs, and I've maintained all along we wouldn't go down.

We can still end up on 57 points - really not a bad haul.

According to the Sentinel, Rob page is looking forward to working with Byron Moore next season, that tells me Rob will be our manager next season, thank goodness, now will the half a dozen whingers that want Rob gone, now accept that, and get behind the man, and the club, so we can all take the club forward.

I'm not 'Page In' or 'Page Out' currently. I genuinely can't decide whether I think he deserves another year or not to prove himself. Leaning towards him going currently.

If he stays he needs to have word with himself about playing a winning team regardless of our next opponent, drop the existing coaching staff off at the job centre where they belong and be ruthless when it comes to renewing contracts (Adams wasn't and that was his downfall, amongst other things). Has he got that in his locker? Some bold decisions need to be made at the club in the summer and I don't think he's willing to do what it takes. If Willo gets another contract I will despair.

However if we win our last 2 games (unlikely but bear with me) then we'll end up on 57 points, 2 less than we finished last season with when people were overwhelmed with excitement because we'd finished 10th. I expected more at the start of the season, but with the changes that we've made and the questionable squad decisions made by Adams in the summer I don't think that would be too bad.

Regardless of anything, I think he's done a better job than Adams would have done I'm sure of it. We'd have been playing Yeovil for finishing 23rd tomorrow if Adams was still here. Is it good enough to just be better than Adams? I would say no, we need more than that.

I tend to agree with most of that except I have pretty much decided that giving him a full season in charge is a risk I'd prefer another side to take.

As you say, the inability to play the team that'll win the next game, as opposed to the one that played the last is crazy and if it is down to him having favourites god help us. If Willo gets another deal I won't despair- I'll want my ****ing money back!

According to the Sentinel, Rob page is looking forward to working with Byron Moore next season, that tells me Rob will be our manager next season, thank goodness, now will the half a dozen whingers that want Rob gone, now accept that, and get behind the man, and the club, so we can all take the club forward.

I think he's looking forward to working with him if he's here.

He also says today talks on his future with the Chairman can wait until they are safe. My main fear is that by annoying our best player he runs the risk of losing the dressing room and creating disharmony.

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/Port-Vale-Rob-Page-says-talks-future-wait-club/story-26381345-detail/story.html

It seems clear everyone wants to stay as its a cosy little club, no room for sentiment in football, we want the best not nice people.

He also says today talks on his future with the Chairman can wait until they are safe. My main fear is that by annoying our best player he runs the risk of losing the dressing room and creating disharmony.

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/Port-Vale-Rob-Page-says-talks-future-wait-club/story-26381345-detail/story.html

It seems clear everyone wants to stay as its a cosy little club, no room for sentiment in football, we want the best not nice people.

we need something to shout for... not shout at

we want the best not nice people.

So you think we should have signed Ched Evans?

Archived