onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

The manager

werstayinup

"It seems", so you don't have a shred of evidence. The chairman has control....he owns the club. Nothing to stop him scouting for players as long as Page makes the final decision.

"Or so it seems", again you don't know, you don't know his salary and neithyer should you. Perhaps 'cause the manager prefers to talk to the player which is more professional.

Again you have no evidence for what you're saying. There's absolutely nothing wrong with speculation but there's much wrong making derogatory comments eg calling someone a puppet etc when you haven't got a clue as to what the reality is.

What evidence do you have that Page makes the final decision? He didn't on Campion - fact.

And talking of Popes wages - pretty sure the Chairman has clearly stated he'll be taking a cut.....or r u saying I've made that up now?

Advert

My opinion for what it's worth.........

I have been openly critical of Page, but I would say on he probably warrants a pre-season and a stab at things from afresh.

My frustration came to the boil after the Bradford game, even though somehow fluked a point. The football had become turgid, and team selections negative and predictable.

I feel Page really needs to stamp his own authority on the squad and this, for me, means that replacements to the coaching staff are needed for some new ideas, as the game, and indeed the fans have moved on from Adams style of football. It is one thing surrendering the lions share of possession to the opposition, but doing this when you know your defence as solid as a chocolate teapot is just lunacy.

It was after Bradford, and some considerable supporter disenchantment, that we saw Moore and Innis come into the team and an upturn in fortunes. However take one of these away, and we are poor again. How an this be? It is clear that whichever combination of defenders we use, the balance is not right. Quite simply, there is a lack of defensive organisation and general awareness. How many times have we, for example, one full-back failing to prevent the cross and the other to defend the back post. It is also clear there is a lack of pace and strength throughout the team, only Marshall, Moore and Williamson (for all his other faults) have the speed to worry and push back defences.

For me, the only ones I would want around next year are Marshall, Moore, O'Connor, Dodds and Williamson plus Brown again in a player-assistant coach role. I think Pope is a clever footballer, he knows his strengths and weaknesses and reads the game well. But I think a parting of the ways may be beneficial for both parties. I think if we get offered money for Neal, then take it. He has played well but I think Johnson is an excellent longer-term prospect. I don't know about the failing defenders we have under contract. Certainly Dickinson and McGiven should never, EVER be in the same team.

In an ideal world, I'd like Rosler in charge, but it won't happen. I also think Dean Smith has produced good teams on very limited resources, but again I don't think it will happen.

Finally, I'd like to see things get a little more professionalism off the field. This goes for trying to drive the commercial arm which perhaps the Chairman might be better focusing his attention on, rather than meddling in football related matters and arguing with his client base. The club has for a long time had a very amateurish feel to it's operations, almost like being run like the local youth club. It's a competitive world on and off the feel, and I think this close season will determine whether we can push on or whether we are set for a further period of struggle.

I think the season could have ended so much differently had Innis not got injured at Coventry who knows! We could have gone on to not lose against Oldham and Swindon...maybe then Smurf may have been tempted to invest in the 'mystery striker' who knows where we would be in the league then! Play-offs?

Football can be a funny old game as two old football pundits used to say!!

There's absolutely nothing wrong with speculation but there's much wrong making derogatory comments eg calling someone a puppet etc when you haven't got a clue as to what the reality is.

After initially agreeing with Lady Vale's first post on this thread, 'Puppet' may be a bit strong actually.

However, the sentiment behind it is still there - namely that Smurthwaite himself has admitted that he has become involved on the football side (scouting, signing players after recommendations and dealings with agents) in a way that he wouldn't have dared/felt unable to do when Adams was in charge.

I've said for months now that any experienced manager would not put up with the chairman taking such an active role in player recruitment, and that Smurthwaite is doing so because Page is new to the role and "on probation".

[....tried to add this onto the previous post, but was outside of the 5 minute limit :doh: :laugh:]

Hopefully, as Smurthwaite has alluded to, it will be up to Page (within the budgetary constraints obviously) to release and recruit exactly as he wants to. He should be allowed to spend the coaching/playing budget with completely free reign with no interference from elsewhere.

Leyton Orient is a big match on Sat. , and if Vale lose then we have every reason to be worried. My head is telling me that we'll finish 15th,

and the sooner we get 6 more pts. the better. One point would be good for a start on Sat. Leyton Orient are fighting for their lives so it will be very difficult, as all the games will be from now till the end of the season.

I think the season could have ended so much differently had Innis not got injured at Coventry who knows! We could have gone on to not lose against Oldham and Swindon...maybe then Smurf may have been tempted to invest in the 'mystery striker' who knows where we would be in the league then! Play-offs?

Football can be a funny old game as two old football pundits used to say!!

Typical valefan cud av shud av done this or that face harsh facts we going nowhere fast under the current set up more dissapiontments to cum face facts

Leyton Orient is a big match on Sat. , and if Vale lose then we have every reason to be worried. My head is telling me that we'll finish 15th,

and the sooner we get 6 more pts. the better. One point would be good for a start on Sat. Leyton Orient are fighting for their lives so it will be very difficult, as all the games will be from now till the end of the season.

33/1 in most books to get relegated tells us it ain't going to happen HV.;)

I'm still not convinced by Page and his eye for a player. Persisting with Williamson and Birchall is worrying. As is signing players like Nimely, Luer, O'Sullivan and not playing them just seems strange. Streete also, but was given a chance when Page was forced to play him as there was no one else. Inniss was a great signing but why haven't we replaced him since?

I'm worried about what our squad would look like for the first game of the 2015/16 season. I feel it will be without the likes of Pope and O'Connor too.

Yet you say he's a puppet but he isn't playing him?

He has occasionally, perhaps reluctantly.

Although he doesn't really play anyone that wasn't here under Adams. Either they have been token signings or Chairman recommendations.

Interesting to see if O'Sullivan can nail down a place.

Archived