onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

The manager

werstayinup

God some of our fans are so fickle. Yes we've just lost 3 on the bounce, but let's be realistic, 2 of those matches were 1-0 defeates to top 5 teams. The other, Crawley, whilst disappointing was against a team in form.

Page has done a great job with the resources at his disposal, those that say he can't cut it have simply set out their stall with him and are too set in their ways to admit he's done a good job since taking over. His remit when he took over would have been plain and simple...keep us up. To think that up until last Saturday we were in with a chance of the play offs, that's a massive achievement. We're clearly not good enough as a squad for the play offs (before someone says get real), but doesn't that again show the great job Page has done with the squad he's got.

What really frustrates me is how negative people get and start to slate Page about things that haven't even happened yet. Before Walsall some fans were awarding teams below us with games in hand maximum points and talking about us as if we were already on the brink of relegation. That's started again now. People are studying the league and imaging the worst case scenarios and then commenting as if they've already come true. Before the last 3 games we'd won 3 out of 4, yet now all of a sudden no one knows where our next point is coming from. It's barmy, get a grip.

Page has done a great job, he deserves a new contract with a chance to form his own squad. If contracts aren't sorted now, Smurf should certainly allow Page to start planning his squad with an indicative budget. Even if he doesn't have accurate figures yet, he could even give him different scenarios based on different levels of income. Hopefully that has started behind the scenes. Page needs to get the results to make us secure, then use the last few games to learn about his current squad and decide his retained list. New potential targets should also be identified now.

What also needs to happen is a real attempt to address the whole negative feeling surrounding the club. I think it's a good thing that Smurf has decided to leave PR to the marketing team. I think social media is a good thing when a clear approach is established. Smurf's problem is he used it from a personal level and got into disputes with fans on here and on social media. I can't recall Wildes ever replying to someone on there. he used it to pass on positive messages and constantly built the buzz. If there's a negative message, it needs to be communicated in a particular way, and I think smurf under estimated that.

Advert

I stated on here at the time that I thought appointing Page was a poor move, a cheap option when a clean sweep of the old regime was required.

However if you look at the results in his tenure so far they've been ok, and whilst the football hasn't been scintillating it is predominantly Adams team he's been working with. Cast your mind back to Jim Gannon - I remember it at Stoke with Chris Kamara as well - two examples of managers who tried to change things to much too soon and ended up getting sacked before the paint was dry in their office. For this reason Page should be allowed to bring in his own players, and mould them in to his philosophy (assuming he has one of course :D) for this he needs at least a full pre-season and 10/12 games from August.

For this to have a chance of working though he MUST be allowed to bring his own backroom team in, Grew and Glover need to go it's as simple as that. And although he denies it, it seems to me that NS has played one too many games of Football Manager and fancies getting involved in the playing side. He should have the final say on whether to sanction a player as he's writing the cheques, but him travelling 100 miles to watch a player is a waste of his time as far as I'm concerned. Leave spotting a player to those whose job it is.....

Peterborough's chairman signs a lot of their players. McLean, Boyd and Mackail-Smith were all signed by him.

I'm going to jump to the defence of Pagey here.

Page has been a manager for SIX months. During which time, he's amassed the same points per game ratio as his predecessor did, 59 points over 46 games. Some people were over the moon with that last year. He's done that by playing better football than we saw under Adams as well. He's made mistakes, but who doesn't during their 1st crack in the top job? He's made a good start to things, and I expect brighter things from us in the future.

I deplore this stance that an 'Experienced Manager' is the way forward? Why? One of the best managers in our league is Karl Robinson, but most Vale fans wouldn't give him the time of day if he got the job like he did at MK Dons, with no previous managerial experience. Eddie Howe, top of the Championship with Bournemouth. How much experience did he have managing before he took the job at Bournemouth 1st time round? Nowt, but again he'd be heckled from the stands at Vale.

I don't think Smurf will be too involved with the playing staff decisions in the summer. If he really wants someone above Page to make those kind of decisions, then he should think about bringing in a DoF to help out (Part-time, Rudgie) and help Page to make some of the choices he has to make. If he doesn't then he has to leave Page to make the decisions. I firmly believe that Page can make us a better side going forwards, but I don't believe he has the personnel on or off the pitch to help him do that at the club currently. Changes made in the summer and a pre-season behind him and I think we'll be a lot better next year.

We're not going down, but we're not going up either. Considering the state Adams left us in, most right-minded people would see that Page hasn't done a bad job and deserves another season at least.

I deplore this stance that an 'Experienced Manager' is the way forward?

Agree, stupers. An experienced manager usually means one who has been sacked somewhere else. Rudge wasn't an experienced manager but if social media had been around in his day he would have gone after six months when we got relegated. Jim Gannon was an experienced manager and look where that got us. Brian Horton was a very experienced manager and got us relegated in his first full season. Glover was inexperienced and was garbage. It's not experience that counts, it's talent and ability to do the job as your examples show.

Good post. To many people on here are totally over reacting, ok we are on a bad run, but probably one more win on Saturday will see us safe.

Page has been a manager for SIX months. During which time, he's amassed the same points per game ratio as his predecessor did, 59 points over 46 games. Some people were over the moon with that last year. He's done that by playing better football than we saw under Adams as well. He's made mistakes, but who doesn't during their 1st crack in the top job? He's made a good start to things, and I expect brighter things from us in the future.

I deplore this stance that an 'Experienced Manager' is the way forward? Why? One of the best managers in our league is Karl Robinson, but most Vale fans wouldn't give him the time of day if he got the job like he did at MK Dons, with no previous managerial experience. Eddie Howe, top of the Championship with Bournemouth. How much experience did he have managing before he took the job at Bournemouth 1st time round? Nowt, but again he'd be heckled from the stands at Vale.

I don't think Smurf will be too involved with the playing staff decisions in the summer. If he really wants someone above Page to make those kind of decisions, then he should think about bringing in a DoF to help out (Part-time, Rudgie) and help Page to make some of the choices he has to make. If he doesn't then he has to leave Page to make the decisions. I firmly believe that Page can make us a better side going forwards, but I don't believe he has the personnel on or off the pitch to help him do that at the club currently. Changes made in the summer and a pre-season behind him and I think we'll be a lot better next year.

We're not going down, but we're not going up either. Considering the state Adams left us in, most right-minded people would see that Page hasn't done a bad job and deserves another season at least.

Put page on a one year rolling contract but with the clause it can be ended at any time, put back room staff on six months again with clause that if the manger/coach does not think they are doing there job they will go, first team players season long contracts with option to extend squad and youth players 6 months with option to extend if they prove them selves because at this time we have to many players picking up a wage for doing nothing.

No point knocking boltonsno1! :)

You really do think that you are something special and above everyone else don't you.But in reality you are nothing more than a WUM.Who keeps having sly digs at fellow Vale fans.Hardly anyone knows who you are in real life all you are known as is REP.I have asked you before to introduce yourself so I can put a name to a face.But you just want to remain unknown

I stated on here at the time that I thought appointing Page was a poor move, a cheap option when a clean sweep of the old regime was required.

However if you look at the results in his tenure so far they've been ok, and whilst the football hasn't been scintillating it is predominantly Adams team he's been working with. Cast your mind back to Jim Gannon - I remember it at Stoke with Chris Kamara as well - two examples of managers who tried to change things to much too soon and ended up getting sacked before the paint was dry in their office. For this reason Page should be allowed to bring in his own players, and mould them in to his philosophy (assuming he has one of course :D) for this he needs at least a full pre-season and 10/12 games from August.

For this to have a chance of working though he MUST be allowed to bring his own backroom team in, Grew and Glover need to go it's as simple as that. And although he denies it, it seems to me that NS has played one too many games of Football Manager and fancies getting involved in the playing side. He should have the final say on whether to sanction a player as he's writing the cheques, but him travelling 100 miles to watch a player is a waste of his time as far as I'm concerned. Leave spotting a player to those whose job it is.....

Top post, what he said! :)

We are not going down don't be to sure about that look at recent form guide and teams below with several games in hand I wudnt be so sure we look more and more after each recent game like nailed on for relegation if not this season then certainly next wak up u vale dreamers and stop re arranging the deck chairs as the ice burge looms we no wat happened there next

Darragh MacAnthony? So why would he have Barry Fry as his Director of Football if that were the case makes no sense?

You've never read MacAnthony's autobiography then I assume? Mentions numerous signings he made himself, Fry just get's sent along to conclude the deal, it's MacAnthony that spots and earmarks them.

We are not going down don't be to sure about that look at recent form guide and teams below with several games in hand I wudnt be so sure we look more and more after each recent game like nailed on for relegation if not this season then certainly next wak up u vale dreamers and stop re arranging the deck chairs as the ice burge looms we no wat happened there next

£20 says we won't go down - match it and the loser pays to the charity of the winner's choice.

And as you say we will "certainly" go down next season if not this, I'll put £50 on that not happening either.

So - are you going to put your money where your mouth is ?

We are not going down don't be to sure about that look at recent form guide and teams below with several games in hand I wudnt be so sure we look more and more after each recent game like nailed on for relegation if not this season then certainly next wak up u vale dreamers and stop re arranging the deck chairs as the ice burge looms we no wat happened there neandxt

Of the teams below us, only one, Scunny, has more than one game in hand and would need to win both to overtake us. In the current form table, ie the last six games, we have 6 points from 6 games and are 17th in the form table. Walsall could overtake us with their game in hand but are actually below us in the form table. But hey, why let the facts get in the way of a good whinge.

Of the teams below us, only one, Scunny, has more than one game in hand and would need to win both to overtake us. In the current form table, ie the last six games, we have 6 points from 6 games and are 17th in the form table. Walsall could overtake us with their game in hand but are actually below us in the form table. But hey, why let the facts get in the way of a good whinge.

It depends on how you view the form table I guess...It always assumes 6 matches. If you look at our form since Innis left then we are relegation material.

The truth is we're are potentially 1 game away from a relegation battle....but of course its subject to how those below us perform.

Either way, given that we've picked up NIL points out of the last nine I think we closer to a relegation fight than people realise

Archived