onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Tom Pope.

keeled56

Advert

Drop down the leagueS is a bit dramatic' date=' we dropped one division when Foyle, Sinnott and Glover had a nightmare season! ;)[/quote']

we got progressively worse then. Great, if you are happy with that happening again then lets get rid of all of our own best players and hope that we can replace them

Has anyone thought that Pope might not actually want to go to Barnsley? It's Barnsley we're talking about, not Barcelona!!

Aye lass but the' do a nice line in pig puddin' & pork pies, not like that ferign muck tha' gets in Barca-bluddy-lona!

At the end of the day he'll go wherever he can get the best deal, he has to at this stage of his career as he's said himself. I also believe he'd prefer to stay at the Vale if they offered him something close enough to any other offers he may get. Personally I have the feeling Vale want to offload him if they can, maybe it's his salary or maybe there's another reason? A transfer fee, possibly? We'll have to see.

I am a big fan of Pope but feel if he is not going to accept his contract offer at the end of the season then better to get something for him now and move on.

It is clear we are not going to play the system where we constantly feed Tom with crosses and anyway most clubs in this division seem to have sussed us out and deal with it by playing two giants who just out muscle him and we end not keeping hold of the ball long enough to create anything. I would have liked Tom to still be here in the seasons to come but not at any price. If he goes good luck to him and hope he gets the financial rewards other clubs can afford to pay him. I have supported Vale for over 50 years and players moving on have never been an issue in whether I turn out on matchdays.

Best post so far, completely concur!

Pope will go, Sage will cry for a bit, and then everyone will realise Port Vale is bigger than Tom Pope and we will move on with our lives.

Pope will be immortalised in Vale legend for his efforts 2 seasons ago, but he isn't THAT good. He's a good league 1 striker. No more.

Anyone who is seriously considering not getting a season ticket because Pope's leaving needs to get a grip.

Never thought I would agree with Hagrid...but I think that post is 100% correct!

I'm sure Smurf will do all he can to keep Tom Pope inspite of what he may say publicaly but if another club make Popey an offer he can't refuse and Vale can't come close then who can blame him for accepting it.

No player is irreplaceable but in Tom Pope's case the issue is how long will it take, if he does go then lge2 beckons sooner rather than later.

At the end of the day he'll go wherever he can get the best deal, he has to at this stage of his career as he's said himself.

And surely he will not know what that is until the end of the season when he is a free agent and may have more attractive suitors than Barnsley?

Looking at our upcoming games I can only seeing us getting four points before the end of February, dropping us in the mire again. I would be less worried if Pope was playing for us. You can what is coming though. Tomorrow's game being postponed, we sell Pope and he scores a couple of goals against us when it is played.

So - no panicking there, then? If we only got 4 pts in Feb, that would put us on 39, with 13 games to get the final 11 points which would probably guarantee safety!

Losing season ticket sales bacuase one player might leave :rollonthefloor::pc2:

Of course there will be a percentage, regardless of how small, that will not buy a season ticket if we sell our best players. They will instead pick their games. In the same way there will be a percentage, again quite small, they will choose to buy a season ticket if we sign an exciting player or two. Not sure why you think it's a laughable statement. It won't apply to the vast majority but it will apply to some.

We replaced McPhee, Constantine, sodje and Richards we can replace pope.

Sodje ? yes, wed just had a great preseason with him scoring for fun, then sold him and had a very bad season.

A few years earlier we sold Darren Beckford and Robbie Earle and promptly got relegated.

You are right only in the sense that all players either leave, get old and retire or get injured - so are 'replaced'. Doesn't mean you don't miss them or sign players that would want to stay - if they get him for under £150k I would be very disappointed.

Sodje ? yes, wed just had a great preseason with him scoring for fun, then sold him and had a very bad season.

A few years earlier we sold Darren Beckford and Robbie Earle and promptly got relegated.

You are right only in the sense that all players either leave, get old and retire or get injured - so are 'replaced'. Doesn't mean you don't miss them or sign players that would want to stay - if they get him for under £150k I would be very disappointed.

I suspect you will be disappointed then.

Just as a matter of interest, we've played 17 games, including all cups, scoring 27 goals, including the Scunthorpe game when Tom got injured; since then, we've played 14 scoring 19...if you take out the Hartlepool match (6 - 2) that would be played 16, scored 21...not much difference, really, whether he has played or not!!!!

I just dont understand why the club have failed to find better right back that Yates, who some consider as average, let alone a proven L1 goal scorer who many consider excellent

There are 7 or 8 other first team pool players who I'd replace before Yates, if we start from a list of about 16 or 17 that have appeared more than a couple of times this season.

He provides creativity and crosses that some other players who get far more credit seem to be unable to match, and has set up quite a few goals this season, not always with direct assists but by getting the ball to players in dangerous positions. Give a loyal player who we need some credit, he rarely fails to earn his money.

Archived