Advert

He'd probably make my top ten -just - but to be controversial how about -

Andy Jones

Robbie Earle

Darren Beckford

Tony Naylor

Martin Foyle

Marc Richards

Mmm.... Albert Leake & Basil Haywood (for all the senior citizens on here!), Harry Poole.

Struggling now.... Cullerton, Constantine.

How many's that? 11.

Any other offers and don't say Wilf Kirkham unless you're 130 years old!;)

Bert Llewellyn:) John James(A Pope clone:laugh:)John Rowland too!!

Andy Jones

Robbie Earle

Darren Beckford

Tony Naylor

Martin Foyle

Marc Richards

Mmm.... Albert Leake & Basil Haywood (for all the senior citizens on here!), Harry Poole.

How many's that? 11.

I know that he started his Vale career up front, but Robbie Earle?! He's surely got to be classed as a midfielder.

Anyway, I'll offer up Moss and Newton.

Ronnie Futcher?

(my top 10 strikers only go back as far as around 1980)

16 in League 1 - first season - and 9 is it, this season to end Sept to me is a good return, proven goal scorer.

Like I say it may well be all done and dusted between Smurf and Pope already

I do see it as Smurf being a little bit stubborn and maybe ' biting off his nose to spite his face '

I also agree we have to manage the money we bring in but that is Pages job

He has a budget and he says who and how many players we have.

Like I said next season is a season of massive change for the VALE.

I really have my fingers crossed for the future.

Didn't he only score 12 in the League? That's not brilliant, and he's only scored 5 in the League by the middle of October wasn't it?

Yes he did score 30+ in League 2 but the season before that he scored 5 in 45 and when he was on loan he scored 3 in 13. His goal scoring record looks so good because of that 1 season. So I don't think he is proven.

I think he'd be in the top 10 strikers since I've been going (early 80's). In no particular order (but starting with my top picks)

1: Andy Jones

2:Tony Naylor

3: Martin Foyle

4: Darren Beckford

5: Tom Pope (I would honestly put him here and above Richards. His goals got us out of league 2, Richards didn't)

6: Lee Mills

7: Leon Constantine

8: Mark Richards

9: Akpo Sodje

10: Bernie Slaven

I've got faith in Smurf. Most likely not this season but if a striker isn't found who can replace Popeys goals and all round play then next season will be tough. By the sound of it it's a moot point with Barnsley. Out of interest, who are your top 10 Vale strikers ahead of Pope.

Try these for size but not afraid in order.

Bert Lewellyn

Tony richards Ally Brown

Jackie mudie Darren beckford

John Rowland Tony Naylor

Ernie Moss

Bob Newton

Andy Jones and if you wanted another goalscorer but not a centre forward you could not better cliff portwood.

Haven't read the thread , guessing it was along the lines of smurf bashing .

My gut feeling when I read the story was a Karl Pilkington "bull****" moment . Popey won't move that far from stoke on Trent now and Barnsley couldn't afford him. Why anyone reads that rag of a paper I will never know, normally get their stories from Facebook.

Didn't he only score 12 in the League? That's not brilliant, and he's only scored 5 in the League by the middle of October wasn't it?

Yes he did score 30+ in League 2 but the season before that he scored 5 in 45 and when he was on loan he scored 3 in 13. His goal scoring record looks so good because of that 1 season. So I don't think he is proven.

You seem to forget his assists. Adam le fondre said he was the best co striker he had played with.

Here is a thought ....... Tom thinks and then talks to his agent

"ay up youth - thayt got wait fer yer pay day"

"Why Tom ?"

" arm stayin put as arm on a good screw ....... at th'end of season - I'll refuse any new contract and look at any new offers"

"Bit dangerous that Tom Lad "

" Nah - If Barnsley are after me now and they are willing to PAY fer me then when arm a free agent ar'll settle for the contract theyve already dangled in fron of me now ....

AND a'll ask fee hafe the fee the were gonner pay fer me."

"Wow Tom !"

"An if the say the conner afford 50% then I can drop it darn ter 30 or 25% -- depending how starving the famlee are yer know "

"good Plan Tom ---- My cut will be the Normal one, but thanks fer doing the donkey work"

With all due respect Old Sage its you who needs to smell the coffee.

No approach has been made by Barnsley and if there had been I would not accept their offer

I understand your loyalty but no one player is bigger than the Club,I have paid Tom's wages without quibble but the ridiculous deal that PW signed him on seriously puts the Club finances and mine under stress

I will offer Tom a contract consistent with the Club's finance and understand as you previously stated you will not buy a ST if he leaves

My position will not change

I've got faith in smurf,not sure if that is smurf though, any misfit can say they're anyone on ****ter and there was a contradiction during when we had loanees staying at that dump called the north staffs hotel so i'll reserve judgement.

Andy Jones

Robbie Earle

Darren Beckford

Tony Naylor

Martin Foyle

Marc Richards

How many's that? 11.

I'd put Mcphee in over Constantine

You seem to forget his assists. Adam le fondre said he was the best co striker he had played with.

How many assists has got this season? A big fat 0, yet people still slate Willo who also has goals and a few assists to his name this season.

ALF doesn't play for the Vale though.

Archived